NEurope
MATtheHAT

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

As you've probably already heard by now, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood is a direct sequel to Assassin's Creed II. You're still Ezio (when playing by yourself, not in multiplayer), but you're now 40 years old. You're still leaping and bounding your way through Italy, but this time you'll be contained to the hallowed city of Rome. In other words, the single-player in this installation will likely feel very similar to what was already seen in part two.

What will absolutely, 100% not feel familiar is the multiplayer because it's entirely new to Brotherhood. I got the chance to get my hands on the multiplayer in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood a few weeks ago at a pre-E3 event, and can say that those willing to adhere to the design philosophy will find an experience unlike any other.

What do I mean by "adhere to the design philosophy?" Well, it's simple, really. See, Brotherhood's multiplayer is based on the idea of being an assassin. I mean being a real assassin, not just running around killing people. In the world of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, that means blending into crowds and behaving like a commoner, only to pop out and plunge your hidden blade into the side of one of your targets or a rival assassin, then stealthily blend back into the legion of pedestrians.

The game mode I played was called Wanted (no news on how many modes will be in the final game) and asked each of the eight human players (the maximum number of players allowed) to find and assassinate a pre-defined target. This is where the whole "adhere to the design philosophy" thing comes into play. In my demo, which was filled with a bunch of journalists who really didn't know what they were doing (myself included), the assassins ran around haphazardly killing their targets without regard for their use of stealth. That made it very easy for a rival assassin to get a bead on you and end your killing spree. Either that, or local Roman authorities would become aware of your actions and try to bring you down.

It was when players truly embraced their role as an Assassin that things got cool. Much how players were able to blend into crowds of pedestrians in the single-player, the same can be done in multiplayer. Not only that, but you'll now have access to up to 10 new abilities that will aid you in your killing quests. These include the ability to morph into a regular-looking Roman citizen for a time, earn a smoke bomb and create decoys for yourself, among other power ups.

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood Xbox 360 Interview - E3 2010: Interview

The number of abilities available to you is determined by your level, which is built up by earning experience points and will cap out once you reach level 50. Everything from modes, new character models and maps will be unlocked through the use of XP. The only downside to all of this experience point talk is that it's totally contained to the multiplayer portion of the game. It'd be nice if single-player actions carried some weight in the multiplayer world, but that isn't the case at this point in the game's development.

Now, back to actually being an assassin. While there's no doubt a lot of killing to be had in the world of Brotherhood's multiplayer, escaping harm's way is just as important if you want to keep your kill streak alive and really rake in the experience points. As you slaughter your way through Rome, authorities are bound to get on your trail eventually, but thankfully there are mechanics built in to help you to avoid this kind of trouble. For starters, there are gates throughout the city that will remain open until you sprint through them with guards running behind you. Once that happens, they'll slam shut, cutting off your pursuers. There are also escape-focused abilities that will let you do things like gain a speed boost and, of course, you can always just hop into a giant bale of hay if needed.

All of this is designed to really make you feel like an assassin, and the Wanted game mode succeeded in that regard, so long as people made sure to play it the way the developers at Ubisoft Montreal intended. I'm sure other modes will lend themselves to a more free-flowing style of play, but Wanted forces players to use stealth to their advantage. Do that, and you're pretty much guaranteed a good time. Besides, who wouldn't want the chance to play as an Assassin in Renaissance Era Rome?

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood launches November 16 on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. We'll have more info as launch day approaches.

Just got sent a Beta code for this, but can't play until the weekend. The Multiplayer sounds interesting, if it works.

Nice. Think we're meant to be getting them in Game soon, might just pinch one of those :heh:

Given that the Beta's only on PS3 I don't think you'll glean much enjoyment from a code, Dyson.

Cheers for the heads up, Mat. I hadn't preordered the game yet as I wasn't sure what the Beta arrangement was going to be, but with any luck I'll also be playing it this weekend.

Nice. Think we're meant to be getting them in Game soon, might just pinch one of those :heh:

pinch two? xx

Upon further investigation (spoken to the missus). It seems the code is one you have to redeem at the Brotherhood website to claim the beta code. The beta itself is not actually live yet. But it does say on the website codes will be sent out 2 days before the beta starts.

This would be a good time for us Playstation + subscribers to get that beta bonus.

Sony, you cunts!

Pre-order bonus from ShopTo.

I just have to pre order at shopto and I get the code and then just cancel the order?

I just have to pre order at shopto and I get the code and then just cancel the order?

That won't work, I'm afraid. To claim the code you agree to lock in your pre-order; you'll still be able to cancel it, but they might blacklist your account or the like. If all you're interested in is the code then I'd suggest heading over to GAME or Play instead, as I seriously doubt they'll have taken such precautions.

I've put a pre-order down for this on GAME, special edition as well.

Why is the ps3 version cheaper if they get the BETA code and xbox360 doesn't, pah.

As it hasn't been posted yet, here's a cool 7 minute demonstration video of some of Brotherhood's new features:

As someone that enjoyed AC2 a lot I think the new mechanics look very promising. Essentially the game comprises elements of The Saboteur's district liberation aspect along with a guild system that's quite reminiscent of Portable Ops; you recruit new assassins then send them out on missions to hone their skills, upgrading their equipment as you wish. The video also shows off a few new moves and suggests there will be more prescribed platform challenges built into the world rather than segmented off into tombs.

Very much looking forward to this, especially as I've a good feeling about the multiplayer aspect.

I'm not 100% sure that i will get this on release, as i may not have the monies for it. Well, not after FIII anyway.

well i'm playing through the first game again and enjoying it a lot more than I did previously...up to jerusalem so not a clue how far through it I am.

Also downloading the Brotherhood Beta as a Playstation Plus bonus as I play the first game.

Didn't realise the beta was up. Downloading now.

yeah I downloaded it last night not had chance to play.

Meh, it's alright. I don't really get it. The spawning seems buggered. About three or four times in my second match I spawned stupidly close to someone who was tasked with assassinating me.

Why is the ps3 version cheaper if they get the BETA code and xbox360 doesn't, pah.

bout time we get nice bonuses to rub in your faces lol.