NEurope
Ashley

Take us N-Ewhere!

Oh so clever, no?

Mobile phones are becoming more high tech and all this and we're trying to stay on top of it to allow y'all to view us on the go if you so choose. Some of this is old info and some of it is new.

iPhone Scheme

We have a dedicated iPhone/iPod Touch scheme that is designed to work best with these devices. It can be accessed using the drop down menu at the bottom but it should automatically detect your device and change it anyway.

Mobile Phone Scheme

This is a text based scheme that is bare bones for old phones/people without a big data plan or whatever. Again, should automatically assign but if not use the drop down box at the bottom.

Blackberry App

BerryBlab is a BB app that is designed to view vBulletin forums. You can download it here: http://www.berryblab.com/MobileDevice.aspx (on your BB) Unfortunately the free version doesn't allow you to reply to threads but you can pay a small price ($3, not sure of UK/EU price) to download the full version.

Once you have it downloaded you need to:

- Open the software

- Press the "BlackBerry Key" and select "Add Forum"

- Type in http://www.n-europe.com/forum/

- Use the 'Options' key to sign in

If you're having "Tunnel Failed" problems please read this:

BlackBerry APN Settings:

For anyone that doesn't have their proper APN settings, you will likely receive a "Tunnel Failed" error (this will happen with most any BB apps that are using the internet, facebook, ubertwitter.. etc).

Example:

Bold 9000 on ROGERS

Setup -> Options -> Advanced Options -> TCP/IP

Check APN Settings Enabled

APN: Internet.com

Leave everything else blank.

For your APN settings, check this page: http://www.blackberryforums.com/blackberry-network/2185-blackberry-internet-msn-chat-web-telnet-tcpip-no-bes.html

To set your APN settings, check these pages: http://forums.pinstack.com/f24/tcp_apn_wap_gateway_port_carrier_settings-360/

As I don't have a BB to test this on you will have to let me know if there are any problems and such.

Tapatalk - iPhone/iPod Touch, Blackberry & Android

This is an app available in the above marketplaces/app stores (although again I think there is a small cost) that lets you access vBulletin forums. Once you have installed the app there should be someway to search for our forum name (N-Europe obviously) and then you can login and browse through that.

Things to come...

I will try and look into styles designed for the Blackberry specifically (similar to the iPhone one above) but none seem to exist at the moment and I haven't really the time to be doing it myself. But if people want to supply me with standard BB screen sizes that would help.

Similarly with Android, but obviously the big problem there is phones come in all shapes and sizes.

I will try and create a stripped down version (but still with some small graphics) that automatically fits the screen its on but these things often work in theory but in practice just cause a headache. But its on my to-do list.

Problems, issues, feedback, suggestions etc

Please feel free :) Obviously I don't have every mobile device to test these things on so you'll have to be a) patient and b) help me too by testing.

I was just testing the Tapatalk demo (Android - full version is $2.99). It pales in comparison to the browser with the iPhone scheme.

I did notice that only the general forums appear in Tapatalk, too.

You sure you didn't click the general category first? I've tried it on my Touch and the categories are listed first which you have to click to access then you select the boards (and then subforums if they exist)

I see you managed to post, and it also left a "posted using blabberwhatever" tag at the end. Think that can be removed, will look into it tomorrow/later (as technically its thursday)

yeah both of tapatalk and berryblab work. Only problem is that with berryblab it lists topics in most recent first order, making them wierd to read if people have quoted things. etc...you end up scrolling past a lot and then having to scroll back up and down to read peoples full posts. You can change it to run in date order but theres no way to prevent it starting at the very beginning of the thread.

Tapatalk runs ok and is perhaps better for reading format just the navigation of the actual forums isn't quite as good but still i really like it and its working.

If you do work on a blackberry theme the resolution for the latest bold is: 480x360 pixels on a 2.44 inch screen.

Any chance of finding us a developer (or whatever the appropriate term would be) who works for free?

Config'd it for my N97, using the I-phone scheme. Looks good, and it actually works.

Any chance of finding us a developer (or whatever the appropriate term would be) who works for free?

magic_hat_and_wand_hg_clr.gif

It may be possible to do an android main site app. Google recently released an app maker with a drag and drop like interface.

It may be possible to do an android main site app. Google recently released an app maker with a drag and drop like interface.

I'll certainly be jumping right on it as soon as I get accepted into the beta.

I'll certainly be jumping right on it as soon as I get accepted into the beta.

I think a really great thing is that if NE didn't want to pay the £25 developer fee the app could still be offered via the website, since apps can be installed from non market place locations. Like swype for example.

I think it might just be a case of pluging in the RSS feed with some styling and app is done.

Sorry to bump this (actually, i'm not sorry at all! hahahaha!) but is there any chance you could update the Tapatalk plug-in for the site? When i try and log-in it says that the plugin is an older version, and because of that i'm experiencing loads of problems.

The plugin is available here. Hopefully it should be quite easy to do, @Ashley?

What's the benefit of using an app instead of just connecting through a browser? I always use my phone's internet browser and I've never had an issue with how it works.

There is no benefit, although it is slightly easier to read posts through the app. Currently there are loads of features missing, and i wondered if it was because the plug-in was old.

If it does get updated, i'll let you know if there's any benefits!

Apps make use of your phone's full range of capabilities rather than the limitations of HTML/js etc. Which is why the Facebook app is better than the Facebook page on your phone.

Edit: Updated tapatalk, the push notification won't appear yet until we update a setting but it should be working.

Interestingly this has a Chrome plugin so Chrome users might notice a popup offering them a notification extension, I've not tried it though.

Edited by Shorty

Apps make use of your phone's full range of capabilities rather than the limitations of HTML/js etc. Which is why the Facebook app is better than the Facebook page on your phone.

Edit: Updated tapatalk, the push notification won't appear yet until we update a setting but it should be working.

Interestingly this has a Chrome plugin so Chrome users might notice a popup offering them a notification extension, I've not tried it though.

It does, as I'm currently on my nexus 7

Thanks! I'll try it out now!

Aha! It seems to work much better now, as in it actually loads new posts and finds all the forums. Brilliant.

Wait......... there's an app for that too.

Why was i not informed of this!!!!!

It was mentioned ages ago, somewhere, probably before you were smartphoned up. Quick, go re-read the forums to make sure you got everything you need.

What's the benefit of using an app instead of just connecting through a browser? I always use my phone's internet browser and I've never had an issue with how it works.

The notification that you get on loads of VB forums just annoys me more than anything! I just want to do everything in my browser rather than individual apps.

Yeah I got a weird notification which I made go away.

It was mentioned ages ago, somewhere, probably before you were smartphoned up. Quick, go re-read the forums to make sure you got everything you need.

I'll have to take a look and see. An app would be useful over browser on the ol android.

I'll have to take a look and see. An app would be useful over browser on the ol android.

I have it a try - I was glad about the 15 minute refund period. The posts look dreadful in it.

I'll stick to Chrome.