NEurope
Dante

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Asked for this or my birthday (if my mother can find it/is okay to pay that much for a present).

Phoned her up and mentioned I wanted a game;

Me: There's a game I want, but I'll text you the name.

Her: How come?

Me: You'll see when you get the text.

I later text her the name and got a response along the lines of "okay, fair enough".

So hopefully I should get this and may play it...in May. Or something :heh:

There were two download extras. One is a Golden Hurly the other is a shitty looking Draggle. So I guess not.

28busur.jpg

I hope Tesco are still dealing with my order and I don't get an email soon saying they couldn't get the stock!

So this might be a dumb question but, what difficulty does everyone recommend this be played on?

So this might be a dumb question but, what difficulty does everyone recommend this be played on?

Normal... Easy pretty much plays the game for you I'd imagine.

Normal but then if you do find yourself struggling you can just switch the difficulty at any point. I just hope you like the game, seeing as you paid top dollar for it.

Yeah it's amazing it has taken this long for an RPG of such quality to surface on the PS3. People have always been saying what they want for years, like a really good world map, lovely HD visuals and solid gameplay. Finally a game like this was made and the result is gorgeous.

Well done Level 5. It's as if putting your game on a PlayStation console seems to be having a positive effect on your games (DQVIII and this). Really happy this came to the PS3 and not the Wii (at the time it was developed the WiiU wasn't about). This console does it justice. :)

Yeah, this is what Grazza has been on about for years and is why he wanted a powerful machine from Nintendo instead of the Wii.

Is Griffy good enough to warrant buying off eBay?

From what i've read he starts off strong but isn't the strongest in the game. It's not like you need him anyway. I have a team built up of mainly mid-tiers and i'm doing fine. I'm even still using Mitey, who apparently is one of the worst ones in the game.

I had a check last night at my progress and i'm nearing the end battle now. I'm on around 40 hours played with me team being level 60+. It seems that I have a 2 more areas to go and then the game will be done. Luckily there seems to be plenty of post game content and of course the platinum trophy to grab as well.

This game really does seem to be Dragon Quest for a HD console. The overworld, modes of transport, characters and things like the alchemy pot all scream DQ. I'm really hoping this does well in the West so that we may see a sequel and build a franchise out of this.

I still can't believe that it topped the UK charts. A 3rd party exclusive, that is a new IP and a RPG manages to go straight in at number one is crazy. I can't think of any other new IP RPG to have done this. It goes to show that there is a market for this type of game and people have clearly waiting for it. I'm expecting it to drop like a rock though as there seem to be stock issues everywhere with it.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Normal but then if you do find yourself struggling you can just switch the difficulty at any point. I just hope you like the game, seeing as you paid top dollar for it.

Haha! You and me both. I probably should have waited and got it cheaper but I was in a crappy mood so meeeh.

Tbh I find Lemahl(or so he's called for me) worse than Mitey sometimes, just seems to take much more of a battering than Mitey! I don't use Sid, but he is very cute. Does everybody get the same names for the familiars they get to begin with? (not got ability to catch them yet)

Regards difficulty, I'd seen reviews mention even easy can get tricky, so I went for that and have just stuck with it(died a few times already, too), so I think I'll stick with it like that. I am starting to find the handholding of Mr Drippy, and the obvious cliche/expectedness a bit tiresome - I feel like they either thought their audience would be really stupid or that their story/approach was so complex we wouldn't understand. They should have put a time delay in to discover something for yourself, before Drippy asking if you've worked it out/simultaneously telling you. Jarring me so much.

Tbh I find Lemahl(or so he's called for me) worse than Mitey sometimes, just seems to take much more of a battering than Mitey! I don't use Sid, but he is very cute. Does everybody get the same names for the familiars they get to begin with? (not got ability to catch them yet)

Regards difficulty, I'd seen reviews mention even easy can get tricky, so I went for that and have just stuck with it(died a few times already, too), so I think I'll stick with it like that. I am starting to find the handholding of Mr Drippy, and the obvious cliche/expectedness a bit tiresome - I feel like they either thought their audience would be really stupid or that their story/approach was so complex we wouldn't understand. They should have put a time delay in to discover something for yourself, before Drippy asking if you've worked it out/simultaneously telling you. Jarring me so much.

Once you can catch pokemon Familiars you'll end up using them less, mitey i've still got but only while i train a few others up, lemahl gets much better as he progresses.

do you have a Griffy? my god he is overpowered now, he has 150 attack and is a lower level than Mitey who has 81, i'm currently keeping him for boss situations and training against hard monsters with weak teams

Well i got the ship, but I wandered too far north trying to shortcut to the north Summeria continent and ended up game overing numerous times getting away, I should probably cut down on fire familiars.

Yeah, this is what Grazza has been on about for years and is why he wanted a powerful machine from Nintendo instead of the Wii.

From what i've read he starts off strong but isn't the strongest in the game. It's not like you need him anyway. I have a team built up of mainly mid-tiers and i'm doing fine. I'm even still using Mitey, who apparently is one of the worst ones in the game.

I had a check last night at my progress and i'm nearing the end battle now. I'm on around 40 hours played with me team being level 60+. It seems that I have a 2 more areas to go and then the game will be done. Luckily there seems to be plenty of post game content and of course the platinum trophy to grab as well.

This game really does seem to be Dragon Quest for a HD console. The overworld, modes of transport, characters and things like the alchemy pot all scream DQ. I'm really hoping this does well in the West so that we may see a sequel and build a franchise out of this.

I still can't believe that it topped the UK charts. A 3rd party exclusive, that is a new IP and a RPG manages to go straight in at number one is crazy. I can't think of any other new IP RPG to have done this. It goes to show that there is a market for this type of game and people have clearly waiting for it. I'm expecting it to drop like a rock though as there does't seem to be stock issues everywhere with it.

Nah Griffy isn't the strongest by the end of the game at max level but he levels remarkably fast and probably for at least the first three quartets of the game he's your go to.

Once you can catch pokemon Familiars you'll end up using them less, mitey i've still got but only while i train a few others up, lemahl gets much better as he progresses.

do you have a Griffy? my god he is overpowered now, he has 150 attack and is a lower level than Mitey who has 81, i'm currently keeping him for boss situations and training against hard monsters with weak teams

Nah no Griffy for me(went zavvi innit), but then I guess he isn't neccessarily part of the game so no biggie. Whats your opinion on Mr Drippy's instant advicing though? Does that ever get better/less as the game goes on?

Nah no Griffy for me(went zavvi innit), but then I guess he isn't neccessarily part of the game so no biggie. Whats your opinion on Mr Drippy's instant advicing though? Does that ever get better/less as the game goes on?

Not really. He always seems to help you out and tell you where to go. He's so awesome though, so I don't mind. :D

That's a shame, it feels really patronising and far to hand holding, somewhat ruins the otherwise mostly awesome experience for me.

Should be more copies available in stores this week according to Namco Bandai.

Also you buy the OST from here: http://shop.wayorecords.net/index.php?mod=descr&id_desc=64&lang_id=2&&PHPSESSID=214284d1eec985e6eed68871dbb7c13a The site is French, English seems to have been run through Google Translate, and it switches back to French in the My Account section so it's a bit confusing but NB were advertising it on Twitter sooo :shrug:

Quite. Once you've explored Argonia Castle (Dragon Quest VIII), gone into 1st-person mode and inspected the chandeliers on the ceiling, climbed up to the battlements and looked down at the village etc, you realise how much you need processing power.

I still can't believe that it topped the UK charts. A 3rd party exclusive, that is a new IP and a RPG manages to go straight in at number one is crazy. I can't think of any other new IP RPG to have done this. It goes to show that there is a market for this type of game and people have clearly waiting for it. I'm expecting it to drop like a rock though as there doesn't seem to be stock issues everywhere with it.

Still, it should be enough that it entered at No.1. Just goes to show when there's something really special, word will get round.

40 hours in and the end credits rolled last night. :( Luckily a bunch of sidequests opened up to me after beating the game, so there is still much to be done. :bouncy:

I hadn't died once during the course of the game but the final boss managed to do a cheap attack on me, causing all my characters to be dazed. It then followed it up by using the most powerful attack it had and I was unable to block it. I loaded it straight back up and then kicked it's butt after the stunt it just pulled. It didn't cause any problems, but then I may have been over levelled as my team were in the mid 70s.

My thoughts on the game are the same as when I first started playing it. Absolutely amazing and shocked that it's taken this long for something like this to arrive. It's sad to see he genre moving towards handhelds when we are missing out on games like this.

I still can't believe that it topped the UK charts. A 3rd party exclusive, that is a new IP and a RPG manages to go straight in at number one is crazy. I can't think of any other new IP RPG to have done this. It goes to show that there is a market for this type of game and people have clearly waiting for it. I'm expecting it to drop like a rock though as there doesn't seem to be stock issues everywhere with it.

Just realised what I wrote the other day. Should have been that there seems to be stock issues everywhere. Dunno why I put the doesn't in there ::shrug:

So i'm about 35-40 hours in and its pretty good. I'm on the snowy island looking for some stones. Mostly been doing all the errends and bounty hunts that i can before progressing the story. If you're looking to grind theres a spot on ugly duck island where something called a toko spawns. Really weak, hands out about 2000 EXP per kill, really been a big help for me.

Havn't really been loosing any money from game overing since i save alot. Got around 40,000g or so. Items seem really expensive, especually wepons and armour, been holding off on purchasing any besides from a few here and there.

So i'm about 35-40 hours in and its pretty good. I'm on the snowy island looking for some stones. Mostly been doing all the errends and bounty hunts that i can before progressing the story. If you're looking to grind theres a spot on ugly duck island where something called a toko spawns. Really weak, hands out about 2000 EXP per kill, really been a big help for me.

Havn't really been loosing any money from game overing since i save alot. Got around 40,000g or so. Items seem really expensive, especually wepons and armour, been holding off on purchasing any besides from a few here and there.

The next ones you comes across, Tokoko, give you 8000 exp and the ones in the final dungeon dish out 20,000 exp!

So I'm over 24 hours in and I finally got a Griffy and a Flutterby :) I'm guessing it's best to level the little sods up quickly and evolve them at the earliest opportunity?

So I'm over 24 hours in and I finally got a Griffy and a Flutterby :) I'm guessing it's best to level the little sods up quickly and evolve them at the earliest opportunity?

If you care about getting the most out of your familiars you are supposed to evolve them once they stop levelling up. Personally I just evolved them ASAP and didn't have any troubles.

I did the trials section last night, liked the two tests in that. Battling with two people flustered me a bit at first too. @Hero\-of\-Time, were you playing on normal or easy? I can't believe people haven't died at all when I have on easy! I got the ability to tame familiars last night and left it there, looking forward to what I might gain from thereon! Also evolved my mitey at solomon's behest, was tempted not to as I saw he's got something at lvl50 but as people have said he doesn't really hold well thought I might as well go for it. Depending how many new gameplay elements they throw at me, I might be able to tolerate my previous griviences. Was slightly disappointed when I found out what those grates were for, was hoping it might be the fast travel system which I believe I saw exists? Could def do with it when all the questing etc kicks off.

Had a massive Ni No Kuni marathon last night, and soon after getting the ship in Castaway Cove...

Bloody Shadar shows up out of nowhere! I'd been battling beasties in the ocean, and could see dry land right in front of me so I didn't bother topping up HP & MP, then *bam* out of nowhere there's a boss battle. I only had half health at best, and used up a ton of items and a few phoenix feathers surviving. Now I've spent all my money replacing said items for next time, someone call me a waahmbulance.

This has gotta be game of the year, surely?

Had a massive Ni No Kuni marathon last night, and soon after getting the ship in Castaway Cove...

Bloody Shadar shows up out of nowhere! I'd been battling beasties in the ocean, and could see dry land right in front of me so I didn't bother topping up HP & MP, then *bam* out of nowhere there's a boss battle. I only had half health at best, and used up a ton of items and a few phoenix feathers surviving. Now I've spent all my money replacing said items for next time, someone call me a waahmbulance.

This has gotta be game of the year, surely?

It was the same for me. Totally unprepared but like you I managed to scrape through. :D

@Rummy I started off on normal but then switched to easy after seeing there were no trophies attached to difficulty level. Easy is too easy at times though, but the odd boss can still give you a bit of trouble if you're not ready. I probably wouldn't have struggled with normal mode though as I tend to over level when playing JRPGS.

What's with the seemingly large uptake of easy mode? Surely you guys don't play all your games on easy, right?

This game isn't even difficult...

What's with the seemingly large uptake of easy mode? Surely you guys don't play all your games on easy, right?

This game isn't even difficult...

Like Hero-of-Time said, a lot of the game has been literally easy on Easy mode, but some bosses or unexpected attacks are still challenging. I've died a few times, mostly because I wasn't prepared for something.

Personally, I started the game on Easy because I wanted to see how difficult it was, with the intention of switching over to Normal if I wasn't happy. But I am, I like the occasional challenge in battle and the contrast of exploring without a constant headache.