NEurope
Dante

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Anyone help me with this?

So i approch Autumnia island and encounter a boss battle with Shadar. The thing is he keeps handing me my ass every time. Its on medium and I'm around level 25 or so i think.

I've just done this battle.

I just kept my distance and spammed my strongest magic. When it was depleted I used items to refill. I also have my AI partners set up as one on healing and the other back me up. I found that by trying to attack him head on I would get spammed by his ice and dark attacks, hence me keep my distance.

You don't actually have to kill him, just take away around half of his life.

I've come to learn that the Amazon familiar Griffy is absolutely amazing. So very strong.

I've come to learn that the Amazon familiar Griffy is absolutely amazing. So very strong.

Hopefully I'll get to the point where I can exchange the tickets for familiars and also tame familiars, soon :)

Currently five hours in. Training my Mitey a bit with chocolate (might also go for flans to boost defense). That's why I'm 'farming' money in Ding Dong Well. When I've had enough I'll make my way to Al Mamoon.

Done all the Errands and Bounty Hunts in Ding Dong Dell. And got the first merit stamp rewards (the ones you get with one card full).

This game is so beautiful. It's simply breathtaking. And I just realised that I'm only at the beginning. There so much ahead of me I know about form reading a couple of reviews...Alchemy, taming familiars, errands, bounty hunts...:bouncy:

Edit: by the way @Hero\-of\-Time Want to share your PSN ID or just add me? :p

Edited by drahkon

Apparently Mitey is one of the weaker familiars in the game, hasn't stopped me from using him though. :D

My PSN ID is Hero-of-Time.

Apparently Mitey is one of the weaker familiars in the game, hasn't stopped me from using him though. :D

I'm the same, just haven't had the heart to drop him yet. I do love the evolution of familiars though, there's been a few that I've tamed and initial thoughts were 'these aren't going to be much cop' but before you know it they've suddenly become my go-to guys.

Unfortunately I've not been able to find as much time for this over the last couple of days as I'd have liked. Currently just over 20hrs in and I'm only just past the bit where you get the boat. The fact that it took me that long just to reach that part speaks volumes about how easy it is just to get sidetracked in this beautifully realised world.

Apart from doing as many sidequests and bounty hunts as possible (merit stamps have become addictive) I've also been spending a fair amount of time hunting down hidden areas and chests.

I don't think I want this game to ever end.

Still haven't broke this yet, is it possible to get those amazon familiars in game anywhere at all, out of interest?

Still haven't broke this yet, is it possible to get those amazon familiars in game anywhere at all, out of interest?

Unfortunately not, they may get put on the store one day though. The Amazon familiars are selling for over £10 on eBay but that's a lot.

Reached Al Mamoon just now. Won't go to the 'story star' (that's what I call it :D) right away. Bought a sword and a shield for Mitey and will level up and acquire some gold for a few minutes.

This game has the potential to become something very special to me. It's the first game since Final Fantasy IX (my first real RPG) that reminds me of why video gaming is my biggest hobby.

When I've played FFIX in 2001, right on the release day, it was amazing. I was 11 years old and didn't really know/understand what an RPG is. But whenever I played the game it was just pure fun. The atmosphere it created with its personality...never since then has a game achieved something quite like this.

While playing Ni No Kuni I feel the same way I felt when I was 11. I really feel like a child again, enjoying a video game with the innocence of a child's heart. :)

Sounds stupid, but maybe some of you guys know what I mean.

Thank you Level 5 and Studio Ghibli.

Edit: Just received a page for the Wizard's Companion by solving the 'riddle' form Horace in Al Mamoon. He asked me a question about a story he gave me and along comes the beauty of the Wizard's Edition of Ni No Kuni: Grabbed the companion, read the story and boom, answered the question.

Having the hard copy of the book makes you a 'real' part of the game. It's a little detail, which can only be enjoyed by owners of the special edition, but it's something I will cherish/all should cherish throughout the whole game.

And I can see how this - of course in a smaller scale - applies to the ingame Wizard's Companion, too. To leaf through the book, no matter if it's 'real' or 'virtual', in order to progress through the game...This is immersion.

The more I play Ni No Kuni, the more I love it.

Edited by drahkon

Wahey! Managed to do a good 4 hour run today, think I'm finally starting to get immersed good and proper. Though I find my playthroughs disrupted by the teenager next door and his drum kit.

Though I find my playthroughs disrupted by the teenager next door and his drum kit.

Just in front of my house a construction site is making a shit load of noise. Woke up because of it, which doesn't help me getting better as I suffer from a nasty cold. The upside is that I can play Ni No Kuni now. And since my soundsystem is quite good I counter the noise coming from outside :D

11 hours in, I now can tame familiars. Aaaaand here comes backtracking. Can't wate to tame all the monsters I came by so far :)

Edit: And thank god I traded merit cards for the jumping ability...I just keep jumping around. Useless, but amazing :D

Edited by drahkon

Clocked about 5 hours(with much pausing so overinflated probably) on this now, just gone through the...golden grove? I love its style(Ghibli and all I guess), the humour and localisation is pretty good(loved the names of some of the early enemies), though I'm currently...hmm on the battle system. I did like it, then I wasn't sure, then I do...but sometimes I wonder.

The only other thing I would say that kinda bothered me is that so far it seems to have a habit of sending me one place, then sending me a way away for a fetch, then back etc. (ie sleep in the inn, go to the cawtermaster, see the boy near the sewers). Still, it's a charming little game nonetheless!

My one wish is that I had the book separately, so I could read it not whilst playing/on the PS3 - might have to look for it as PDF.

NUMERO UNO, BABY.

Had to force myself not to start this last night as it was too late, but damn am I excited to get a few hours in on this tonight. Great news it came in at number one in the UK.

it rightly deserves that place! i think i can go as far as saying this is one of the best rpg's i've played in 10 years

NUMERO UNO, BABY.

Had to force myself not to start this last night as it was too late, but damn am I excited to get a few hours in on this tonight. Great news it came in at number one in the UK.

Amazing news. An exclusive 3rd party RPG gets number 1 in the UK charts is just crazy. It's very well deserved. I was in GAME on Saturday and they had completely sold out of their stock.

Put around 30 hours into this now and have finally got the ability to fast travel as well as the ability to fly around the world map. :D

it rightly deserves that place! i think i can go as far as saying this is one of the best rpg's i've played in 10 years

Would it be fair to guess you didn't play Xenoblade Chronicles?

Amazing news. An exclusive 3rd party RPG gets number 1 in the UK charts is just crazy. It's very well deserved. I was in GAME on Saturday and they had completely sold out of their stock.

Put around 30 hours into this now and have finally got the ability to fast travel as well as the ability to fly around the world map. :D

Yeah, it is pretty good. I still have gripes with Sony though, and just wish this had been Nintendo. I reckon the Ghibli aspect has massively helped sales.

Would it be fair to guess you didn't play Xenoblade Chronicles?

Thats a safe assumption, its at the head of my "games to play list"

Yes, it's absolutely brilliant news. Hopefully this type of game can stop being thought of as niche or risky. Really has restored my faith in the market!

(Mine's arrived, but I'm going to wait until 20th Feb, just in case the PS4 plays PS3 games. I don't think it will, but I'm going to see.)

(Mine's arrived, but I'm going to wait until 20th Feb, just in case the PS4 plays PS3 games. I don't think it will, but I'm going to see.)

Youer gonna wait? Flippin eck 'mun, good luck with that! The game is proper tidy, youer in fer a treat I tell you. :D

[/Drippy]

I love this game! :)

Yes, it's absolutely brilliant news. Hopefully this type of game can stop being thought of as niche or risky. Really has restored my faith in the market!

Yeah it's amazing it has taken this long for an RPG of such quality to surface on the PS3. People have always been saying what they want for years, like a really good world map, lovely HD visuals and solid gameplay. Finally a game like this was made and the result is gorgeous.

Well done Level 5. It's as if putting your game on a PlayStation console seems to be having a positive effect on your games (DQVIII and this). Really happy this came to the PS3 and not the Wii (at the time it was developed the WiiU wasn't about). This console does it justice. :)

Okay, so I just bought this. Off the PSN Store of all places (it's sold out on Amazon until a restock in two weeks) so I paid a bit of the premium but fuck it, I'm ready. After the 21GB download is done.

Okay, so I just bought this. Off the PSN Store of all places (it's sold out on Amazon until a restock in two weeks) so I paid a bit of the premium but fuck it, I'm ready. After the 21GB download is done.

Do you get the Griffy familiar DLC for downloading from PSN? Freaking uber familiar Griffy is.

There were two download extras. One is a Golden Hurly the other is a shitty looking Draggle. So I guess not.

Well done Level 5. It's as if putting your game on a PlayStation console seems to be having a positive effect on your games (DQVIII and this). Really happy this came to the PS3 and not the Wii (at the time it was developed the WiiU wasn't about). This console does it justice. :)

And I hope their next game is Dragon Quest XI on PS4. No one can do it like Level 5 and, as you say, never better than on a Sony console.

Do you get the Griffy familiar DLC for downloading from PSN? Freaking uber familiar Griffy is.

Is Griffy good enough to warrant buying off eBay?

I bought the Wizards Edition but I got it from Shopto, just curious as Griffy does look pretty awesome and I'm guessing he won't be made available at a later date...

Is Griffy good enough to warrant buying off eBay?

I bought the Wizards Edition but I got it from Shopto, just curious as Griffy does look pretty awesome and I'm guessing he won't be made available at a later date...

Yeah I would say so. He's the strongest familiar by a long shot, massive DPS and great defense.