NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2010/11

Newcastle are a relatively big club in recovery, a mid table finish would have been a decent return to the top flight. And I'm sure most geordies would be happy with that.

Oh really, that's why the fans were all behind 'small name' Chris Hughton then, is it? :rolleyes: Typical lazy stereotypical shite reguritated from the tabloid press.

Well tell me how they're a big club. Last season they were in the Premier League they got relegated, they then obviously managed to get back into the Premier League but with the players they had that was an easy task.

Now they're back in it they're mid-table and their form is very temperamental.

Newcastle haven't been a big club for at 5/6 years.

Well tell me how they're a big club. Last season they were in the Premier League they got relegated, they then obviously managed to get back into the Premier League but with the players they had that was an easy task.

Now they're back in it they're mid-table and their form is very temperamental.

Newcastle haven't been a big club for at 5/6 years.

Congratulations, you've totally missed the point - Newcastle fans are under no illusions as to where they fit in the scheme of things at the moment. We were perfectly happy to have some stability and a nice guy at the helm, trying to progress and establish ourselves in the premier league. The last thing we wanted was a knee-jerk sacking.

Congratulations, you've totally missed the point - Newcastle fans are under no illusions as to where they fit in the scheme of things at the moment. We were perfectly happy to have some stability and a nice guy at the helm, trying to progress and establish ourselves in the premier league. The last thing we wanted was a knee-jerk sacking.

Try reading what I wrote properly before trying to be a smart arse.

I didn't mention the fans anywhere. The original discussion was about the Newcastle board and that's what I was talking about.

Newcastle are a big club. Look at us, we're still classed as a one of the "big four" and we finished 7th last season. I still say Newcastle are a big club.

Try reading what I wrote properly before trying to be a smart arse.

I didn't mention the fans anywhere. The original discussion was about the Newcastle board and that's what I was talking about.

Why are you asking me, a fan, why Newcastle are a big club then? The motivation for this sacking doesn't seem to be because Hughton isn't 'big enough' for the club, but more that he won't do as Ashley says and he's 'too close to the players' whatever that means. The fact that Pardew was seemingly lined up a month ago as the preferred replacement suggests that the 'bigness' of the name has very ltitle to do with it.

Newcastle are a big club. Look at us, we're still classed as a one of the "big four" and we finished 7th last season. I still say Newcastle are a big club.

Depends what you consider most important when judging a club's size really, isn't it? Attendance, fame, history, historic success, recent success, current league position.

Are Leeds, Forest, Ipswich and Norwich bigger clubs than Wigan, Bolton, Blackburn and West Brom?

Forest still sing "1-0 to the famous team" and were giving us "You're not famous any more", "You're only here to see the famous team" and (to Marlon Harewood) "You used to play for a big club", although it's worth pointing out that when Newcastle visted the City Ground it was their record gate of the season with even more home fans turning up than came to see them play bitter rivals Derby County.

Newcastle are not a dominant footballing force in the English game, they don't have financial clout, they're showing limited (if any) ambition and they're not a particularly attractive club for players and managers. They have some decent players but a generally thin squad. That said, they are still getting some of the highest attendances in the country, they attract big opposition crowds, they have a long history with historical success, they're one of few teams in England to have played more than 100 matches in European competitions and they're a famous enough name to garner an amount of interest wherever they go (and be selected for about three times as many Sky matches than, say, Sunderland, who are in a similar league position). How big you think that makes the club is up to you, but any implication that the fans at least see themselves as entitled to a top 6 finish or something simply because of who they are is very wide of the mark.

Edited by BlueStar
Automerged Doublepost

Depends what you consider most important when judging a club's size really, isn't it? Attendance, fame, history, historic success, recent success, current league position.

Are Leeds, Forest, Ipswich and Norwich bigger clubs than Wigan, Bolton, Blackburn and West Brom?

I typed up a massive response to this comparing honours, crowds and what not. But my conclusion was always just going to be an opinion, because ultimately like you said there's a lot of factors to take into account.

I would definitely consider Leeds, Forest, Norwich and Ipswich bigger clubs than the four Premier League clubs mentioned. Although Norwich and Ipswich honours lists aren't as large as say West Brom's or even Blackburn who were amongst some of the early success stories pre-1900.

What about the Monday night result? Three points well needed. I was looking at the table today and while its looking tight, we are still quite a ways from fourth. :( We are seven points from fourth, but equally seven points from eighteenth, as far as I mind. We need to go on a run and get some lasting momentum.

I didn't watch but it was a decent result against a good team. Doing it without Stevie and Nando makes it even better.

The one thing I wish this thread did was post results :P I often come in here having missed champs games and just see people posting opinions -- but fair enough.

With the newc situation; it's ridiculous. Any Caroll, while shellshocked at his england debut, has been fantastic all season. He's sneaky and swift, and just about the cream of a crop that deserves to stay up. Being in 11th is, honestly, probably where they were aiming to be a the end of the season. While they've had some fantastic results it cannot be overlooked - they have let some important and theoretically easy points slide. At the moment newcastle are only performing well when they are expeted to perform badly. Against opponents of equal or less skill they are performing far too poorly, and I think that actuall it is fair to say it's the manager's fault. While he is good at motiviating as an underdog he has no skill at turning his headlights towards teams he should beat confidently.

I especially look at the difference in carrol's performance in the black and white and how he did with three lions on his chest. I think he's been psychologically trained incorrectly. A new manager will probably mean instability for a period but if newcastle fans have any sense they'll not overlook the next manager's strengths or results. I think the newcastle players have good potential and I have to say that hughton was carried on the weight of his players as much as anything.

Fuck all this talk about past accomplishments.

If anything, I'm surprised Ken Hodginson has survived as long as he has. I guess it's fair enough to blame the money side of things for the poor b-team squad, but you cannot ignore torres's poor start. it's the manager's job to turn those tides and he didn't do it quick enough.

Stuff.

The one thing I wish this thread did was post results :P I often come in here having missed champs games and just see people posting opinions -- but fair enough.

With the newc situation; it's ridiculous. Any Caroll, while shellshocked at his england debut, has been fantastic all season. He's sneaky and swift, and just about the cream of a crop that deserves to stay up. Being in 11th is, honestly, probably where they were aiming to be a the end of the season. While they've had some fantastic results it cannot be overlooked - they have let some important and theoretically easy points slide. At the moment newcastle are only performing well when they are expeted to perform badly. Against opponents of equal or less skill they are performing far too poorly, and I think that actuall it is fair to say it's the manager's fault. While he is good at motiviating as an underdog he has no skill at turning his headlights towards teams he should beat confidently.

I especially look at the difference in carrol's performance in the black and white and how he did with three lions on his chest. I think he's been psychologically trained incorrectly. A new manager will probably mean instability for a period but if newcastle fans have any sense they'll not overlook the next manager's strengths or results. I think the newcastle players have good potential and I have to say that hughton was carried on the weight of his players as much as anything.

Fuck all this talk about past accomplishments.

If anything, I'm surprised Ken Hodginson has survived as long as he has. I guess it's fair enough to blame the money side of things for the poor b-team squad, but you cannot ignore torres's poor start. it's the manager's job to turn those tides and he didn't do it quick enough.

Stuff.

Torres has actually been playing alot better past few games, he had a slow start, but he only just came back from injury/holiday/world cup. So he lacked match sharpness.

Off to Old Trafford today, got to get the coach at 1pm. Probably won't get home until the early hours of tomorrow. I'd be very happy with a draw considering we're away from home.

Off to Old Trafford today, got to get the coach at 1pm. Probably won't get home until the early hours of tomorrow. I'd be very happy with a draw considering we're away from home.

Fair play mate,

Good Luck later! I'm obviously hoping for a home win, but a draw wouldn't be a tragedy with a game in hand, and our next match being Chelsea.

Blackburn have sacked Allardyce.

Foreign owners really fuck me off. Bet they'll get a foreign manager as is the style of the times. :nono:

Blackburn have sacked Allardyce.

Foreign owners really fuck me off. Bet they'll get a foreign manager as is the style of the times. :nono:

Whats the problem with that? I can think of one English manager actually taking a club some where, the rest are just trying to survive.

As for the game, we were absolutely shit. I think we created one half chance all game. Disappointed with Old Trafford (my view was obscured by a concrete wall..) and its quiet as fuck. I thought we were supposed to be the library.

Nothing in that game gave me any indication that we're out of it yet, next few games are very important.

Whats the problem with that? I can think of one English manager actually taking a club some where, the rest are just trying to survive.

How about the detrimental effect it has on our national game? Foreign managers mean yet more English players being overlooked and then people wonder why we do crap in major tournaments.

Not to mention that we will probably get yet another berk like Capello as the next England coach.

How about the detrimental effect it has on our national game? Foreign managers mean yet more English players being overlooked and then people wonder why we do crap in major tournaments.

Not to mention that we will probably get yet another berk like Capello as the next England coach.

How does a foreign manager mean English players get overlooked? What a bizarre thing to say, especially when managers like Roberto Mancini were hoovering up English talent a summer or two back.

The fact you think Capello is a bad manager is another lol, maybe he's not cut the mustard and England but at club level he's quality.

Lets roll back the years, how many foreign managers in Division One between 1970-1990? And how many major tournaments did England win?...

Fifa boss Sepp Blatter sparks Qatar gay controversy

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has joked that gay fans travelling to the 2022 World Cup in Qatar should "refrain from any sexual activities".

Gay rights groups have criticised the decision to award the tournament to a country where homosexuality is illegal.

But Blatter, apparently joking, said: "I would say they [gay fans] should refrain from any sexual activities."

On a more serious note, Blatter added: "I'm sure when the World Cup will be in Qatar there will be no problems."

However, former NBA star John Amaechi, who revealed that he was gay in 2007, was highly critical of Blatter's comments.

BBC sports news correspondent James Pearce says Fifa will make no further comment following Blatter's remarks on attitudes to homosexuality in Qatar.

"Fifa says Blatter gave all the clarification required in his press conference," said Pearce.

The Islamic country of Qatar was the surprise winner of the race to host the 2022 World Cup, beating Australia, Japan, South Korea and the United States when the 22-man Fifa executive committee voted in their favour in Zurich on 2 December.

Fifa has since come in for criticism after the decision to take the World Cup to the Middle East for the first time.

Concerns were raised about hosting the tournament during the summer months in a country where temperatures can reach 40C to 50C while current laws mean drinking alcohol in public is forbidden.

Gay groups are also worried about the acceptance of homosexual fans, with the Gay Football Supporter's Network saying at the time of Fifa's decision: "We strongly condemn Fifa's decision and will be leading a LGBT [Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay and Transgender] boycott of all activities associated with World Cup 2022.

"We do not feel the World Cup should be held in any country that abuses and disregards the basic human rights of LGBT people."

But Blatter does not foresee any difficulties, saying: "You see in the Middle East the opening of this culture, it's another culture because it's another religion, but in football we have no boundaries.

"We open everything to everybody and I think there shall not be any discrimination against any human beings be it on this side or that side, be it left, right or whatever.

"If they want to watch a match somewhere in Qatar 2022, I'm sure they will be admitted to such matches."

Blatter says even if there are problems, there is still plenty of time to sort out any issues.

"I think there is too much concern for a competition that will be done only in 12 years," he added.

"But this gives me the opportunity to say that in Fifa, and this is in the statutes of Fifa, whether it is in politics, whether it is in religion, we don't want racism, and we know what this means, and neither do we want discrimination.

"What we want is just to open this game to everybody and open it to all cultures and this is what we are doing in 2022."

But Amaechi did not see the funny side of Blatter's "refrain from any sexual activities" comments, telling his official website: "The statements and the position adopted by Sepp Blatter and Fifa regarding LGBT fans who would pay the enormous ticket and travel prices to attend the World Cup in 2022 should have been wholly unacceptable a decade ago.

"Instead, with little more than an afterthought Fifa has endorsed the marginalisation of LGBT people around the world.

"Anything less than a full reversal of his position is unacceptable and if the FA and football and sporting associations around the world fail to acknowledge this insult, they too will be complicit.

"If sport cannot serve to change society, even temporarily during the duration of an event like the World Cup that invites the world to participate, then it is little more than grown men chasing a ball and we should treat it as such."

Blatter, who was visiting South Africa - the hosts of the 2010 tournament, insisted money had no part in taking the competition to new parts of the world.

Russia won the right to host the 2018 competition.

"This is development of football and don't speak about money," said Blatter.

"This has nothing to do with money as it had nothing to [do with it] with Africa.

"It is the development of the game. We have to take to places where it can improve and have a social and cultural impact. And it's what we did here in Africa."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9284186.stm

Champions League Draw -

Copenhagen v Chelsea

Marseille v Manchester United

Arsenal v Barcelona

Lyon v Real Madrid

Inter v Bayern Munich

Valencia v Schalke

AC Milan v Tottenham

Roma v Shakhtar Donetsk

Bring on AC. We know we can score in the San Siro, and can beat anyone on our day at the Lane. As for Arsenal: love it. Two very tough draws for the North London sides!

How does a foreign manager mean English players get overlooked? What a bizarre thing to say, especially when managers like Roberto Mancini were hoovering up English talent a summer or two back.

The fact you think Capello is a bad manager is another lol, maybe he's not cut the mustard and England but at club level he's quality.

Lets roll back the years, how many foreign managers in Division One between 1970-1990? And how many major tournaments did England win?...

I see what you are saying about Mancini, but allow me to rephrase my objection to foreign owners of our football clubs. It boggles the mind that investors with no experience in football whatsoever are allowed to come in, spend their money and then treat their new purchase just like a new plaything and something to show off, and often have no idea what a football team means for the local town and community. The Venkys are in the chicken business for gods sake, and they were trying to force Allardyce to buy players that he didn't like while only giving him a paltry sum with which to do it. That's why a perfectly capable English manager has been tossed aside. There's talk that they want Maradona to replace him!! Can you imagine how long that would last??

So far, what I predicted when Man City were taken over has happened as well. They'd spend obscene amounts of money on big name signings who wouldn't gel together, they'd sack Hughes within a year and then have a string of big name foreign managers each of whom would fail to achieve the Champions League winners in five years accolade that the new owners promised. So far Mancini is still there but I'll bet you he'll be gone in a year.

These foreign investors are not interested in what is best for the club, look what happened to Portsmouth. Yes, I am aware that some foreign owners have revitalised some clubs, Milan Mandaric springs to mind, but my beef is with the ones (including English ones) who have no idea what they are buying into and then they cut their losses, sell up and leave a big mess behind. The day Bolton gets taken over I think I'll switch to another sport!!

Edited by Dog-amoto

Bring on AC. We know we can score in the San Siro, and can beat anyone on our day at the Lane. As for Arsenal: love it. Two very tough draws for the North London sides!

AC aren't the team they used to be but undoubtedly they are still a quality side. I reckon both of those ties will be absolute crackers. With Arsenal - Barca with the potential to be a classic. A classic pumping, probably, but a classic nonetheless.

Arsenal, Barca and Spurs are the 3 teams which have really livened up the Champions League for me this season with quality, attacking football. Something that's missing from the modern game.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I personally thought the Europa League was fantastic last year as it throws up some great ties whereas the CL gives you the same matches season in season out and a lot of the time the teams are scared to have a go at the other team and really go for it as it could be seen as more important not to concede at home than it is to score. The away goal rule needs to get scrapped.

Arsenal, Barca and Spurs are the 3 teams which have really livened up the Champions League for me this season with quality, attacking football. Something that's missing from the modern game.

Incidentally, Arsenal and Spurs share the highest number of goals scored in the group stages. Every game's a bonus from now on really; I'm chuffed we got this far. I reckon Defoe, Bale, and Lennon's pace will really cause some problems for the ageing Milan midfield and defence.

Incidentally, Arsenal and Spurs share the highest number of goals scored in the group stages. Every game's a bonus from now on really; I'm chuffed we got this far. I reckon Defoe, Bale, and Lennon's pace will really cause some problems for the ageing Milan midfield and defence.

Ibrahimović, Robinho and Pato? I'll gladly bet on Milan.