NEurope
mcj metroid

Steel Diver 3DS

steel_diver_boxart.jpg

I know not exactly not on everyone most wanted list, but it looks.... interesting doesn't it.

0.png

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

Edited by Retro_Link
added boxart

When I saw this on the list of 3DS game yesterday I thought it was a revived NES game. Thats why I said I would have to look it up. Well I did some Googling and it turns out Steel Driver was originally a DS game. I still think its strange that I hadn't heard of it (or remember it if I have).

Remember the submarine-demo for Nintendo DS shown when the DS was first shown? Now, years later the very same demo turns out to have become a Nintendo 3DS title: Steel Driver.

Steel Diver is a new submarine action-simulation game from Nintendo that uses touch-screen control to guide submarines through lush, undersea 3D environments.

Players will manipulate switches and levers on the touch screen to control their sub's speed, depth, pitch and torpedoes. Branching paths, split-second decisions and attacks from enemy ships make for a thrilling undersea adventure with unique touch controls

http://www.ds-x2.com/index.php?id=13973

How about someone changed the name of the thread to actually match the game's name? It's "Steel Diver" (not Driver). This has been confirmed to be a launch game in the US, btw.

I don't know about this game. It's partly intriguing and partly "meh". Ship models (especially non-submarines) look like slightly touched up models you might see in a DS game. It's as far from an actual submarine simulation, as Mario Kart is from a Kart simulator. Yet, there are parts of the underwater levels, which look completely bland.

On the other hand, the physics look cool, if not realistic. The controls seem to be extremely indirect and with having to dodge rocks, mines etc. this might be rather challenging. The water physics in the storm look good, too. But the trailer doesn't explain, how the periscope mode is integrated into the gameplay in the first place. For all it shows, the game might force you into it at some points and have you shoot a certain number of things before you continue with the level.

Overall, it looks like a side scrolling shmup with submarines and arcade-like underwater physics, that has "first person" moments thrown in for good measure. Certainly unique and it might be a lot of fun, but I don't know who the target audience is.

Edited by Burny

I was wondering if the thread title was wrong on purpose or not :woops:

Since this game is basically just a finished version of a tech demo for the original DS, and in many respects it looks almost identical, I don't know how interesting this title sounds. I have played the original tech demo, and the controls were quite frustrating sometimes, since you have to control angle, depth and throttle all on the touch screen.

I kinda wondered why I'd been thinking it was Steel Driver all this time.. and now I realise it was because that was the thread title :nono:

I'm not really sure what I make of the game, though, to be honest. I'd probably at least like to try it but I'm not really interested enough to buy it..

AT first I really didn't care for it, but when I looked more into the development and people behind it as well as how it's played I am fucking HYPED!!!! Day freaking 1

I kinda wondered why I'd been thinking it was Steel Driver all this time.. and now I realise it was because that was the thread title :nono:

Wow how did I NOT notice that.? I have to admit though steel driver would be a better name. Wouldn't make much sense :D

Famitsu's review is in, so take from it what you will:

Steel Diver (8/7/7/8, 30 points): "The controls, which make it seem like you're operating an RC car, are pretty innovative. It's quite a rush once you start moving smoothly in the direction you meant to go. The 3D seabed environments are nice as well, but the game's overall on the difficult side. ...a tendency to get pretty flustered with the [controls], and I can't deny how troublesome they can be, but at least it's fun to move around with your hands. There aren't a great number of missions, and it's a shame how hard it can be to unlock them in the second half of the game."

Hmmm, this one has been intruiging me for quite some time now... Probably will pock it up on May 6th. Looks like a fun little game.

Dreamt about a submarine last night... Weird. Must be Nintendo playing games with my mind. I knew there was a hidden agenda behind that WiFi! =p

So, my review copy of this arrived yesterday (along with Dead or Alive Dimensions). It's all right, but I wouldn't recommend rushing out and buying it - it's very light on content and certainly not worth the full asking price. It's also a bit too 'serious' for my tastes, too - too much brown and grey for a Nintendo title!

What's dead or alive like? I really tempted by this!

Aso, how do you get review copies? Is it something to do with your girlfriend?