NEurope
MoogleViper

Year in Industry

Ok so I've just finished my first year of uni, and am thinking of doing a year in industry after my second year. Now I thought it would be good to go abroad for this, as I get to combine travelling abroad with my year in industry. No I don't speak any other language so Australia is my first choice (also considering NZ and US). Trouble is I'm not sure where to begin. So if any of you have done a year in industry (overseas or in the UK), or know anything about it, please give me some advice on where to start.

...well.

What is your industry?

I'm studying Business & Management. So any sort of management I'd be interested in.

Take a look through the list of the 100 top graduate employers (I think its from The Times?) and look through all of their websites (or the ones which take your fancy) and see what they have to offer. The majority off them offer summer internships which are often lucrative, give you great experience and also a very high opportunity of being offered a job with them once you graduate.

However, I've only done this for jobs based in the UK and not abroad. It's definitely worth taking a look at though, if you're wanting to travel as well maybe working out there isn't the best way to be doing it? If you're going to be working 9-5 five days a week when will you be able to travel? If I were you I'd try and get an internship and then travel for a while once you've left uni. I'm not trying to change your mind or anything and this is by no means the best thing to do, obviously if you want to take a year out to work then go for it, I'm just telling you some possible alternatives.

Take a look through the list of the 100 top graduate employers (I think its from The Times?) and look through all of their websites (or the ones which take your fancy) and see what they have to offer. The majority off them offer summer internships which are often lucrative, give you great experience and also a very high opportunity of being offered a job with them once you graduate.

However, I've only done this for jobs based in the UK and not abroad. It's definitely worth taking a look at though, if you're wanting to travel as well maybe working out there isn't the best way to be doing it? If you're going to be working 9-5 five days a week when will you be able to travel? If I were you I'd try and get an internship and then travel for a while once you've left uni. I'm not trying to change your mind or anything and this is by no means the best thing to do, obviously if you want to take a year out to work then go for it, I'm just telling you some possible alternatives.

I didn't mean it like travel, more experience something different.

That's a good idea though.

Does anybody know of any large Australian companies?

Moogle, does your uni have a placement officer? I would strongly advise going to them if so and asking for some help - they tend to have a large number of contacts.

I did two placements abroad and from what I can remember, I had to get my CV (or CVs rather as I had to have it in 3 different languages) up to scratch as the "accepted" style between countries can differ drastically (my placement officer made me very clear of this).

Otherwise, most of it was down to web-searching and my officer sending me emails regarding positions. There must be some sort of Australia intern site or just a job site hosting placement jobs as well.

Again, speaking from experience, ideally find someone at your uni who'll know where to start - it really does speed up the process and gets things moving.

Moogle, does your uni have a placement officer? I would strongly advise going to them if so and asking for some help - they tend to have a large number of contacts.

I did two placements abroad and from what I can remember, I had to get my CV (or CVs rather as I had to have it in 3 different languages) up to scratch as the "accepted" style between countries can differ drastically (my placement officer made me very clear of this).

Otherwise, most of it was down to web-searching and my officer sending me emails regarding positions. There must be some sort of Australia intern site or just a job site hosting placement jobs as well.

Again, speaking from experience, ideally find someone at your uni who'll know where to start - it really does speed up the process and gets things moving.

Unless you are sheffield hallam, we got shafted with the 'Oh we've got a few' 'How many?'...'Not enough by far'

Lazy fuckers. Its still a good idea, but be warned it's probably better for you to get something yourself. Ask tutors personally, a few have pointed me in the right direction for people they've worked with before. :D

Without doubt do a year in industry, either here or abroad. It will be the single most (only?) useful thing you do while there to help you get a decent job afterwards.

I'm sure your uni will have some sort of advice office to help you sort things out, speak to them to get a general idea of what to do with regards to the abroad thing. Other than that just check out websites of companies you like or industries your interested in and check the job listings. Many will list placement opportunities that you can just apply for. If they don't then write to them anyway, some cheap work from a good person is a great thing for any company to have so you should at least spark some interest from them.

At least you've started early, I didn't really get going with my hunt till after Christmas of my second year. Looking back that was a big mistake - though it worked out OK in the end.

Hey Moogle, I'm currently doing something very similar in Sydney atm. If you want to know anything about moving to Aus etc. place some questions down and I'll do my best.

Awesome.

How would I go about getting a visa?

How much stuff did you take with you? Was it just a suitcase full of clothes?

How did you go about finding accommodation?

Starting my YII in July. Soooo excited, I'm one of only 4 people who got offers out of about ~30 who were on the sandwich course. They expected ~30% to get placements XD

Awesome.

How would I go about getting a visa?

How much stuff did you take with you? Was it just a suitcase full of clothes?

How did you go about finding accommodation?

1) The Visa application was quite simple for me, I did all of it online and expected to wait a few days to hear anything back. After clicking submit some 5 minutes later I received a email with my visa attached. There was a small admin charge but nothing excessive. The whole process was very simple but obviously depending on yourself it could take longer. Assuming you are clean of any convictions I presume your application, like mine, will be very easy. Of course this is no excuse to leave it until the last minute.

2) I took just one 25kg suitcase of clothes and then a small "carry-on" suitcase that had a few things in, laptop etc. The weather here can be quite volatile at time and is subject to much change. Peek of summer my house hit 42-45 degrees (no air-con either) and now in winter it is around 7 degrees at night, so some large fluctuations. Anything you need while you are out here you can always buy when you're out here. The shopping can be fab-u-lous.

3) Fortunately I had my accommodation sorted out for me, I'm not sure how you would have to do it. The only thing I can say here is that if you put down some areas you've been looking at then I can tell you what they are really like.

I hope this helps some what. Feel free to ask anything else.

1) The Visa application was quite simple for me, I did all of it online and expected to wait a few days to hear anything back. After clicking submit some 5 minutes later I received a email with my visa attached. There was a small admin charge but nothing excessive. The whole process was very simple but obviously depending on yourself it could take longer.

o_o that's a lot simpler than when I went to the US. I had to go down to London, queue for hours, scan my fingerprints, take proof of my finances, explain my reasons for travelling etc etc... :woops:

@will - What degree did you do and where did you work?

I did Business Studies and worked at Panasonic for my year out, going to Oz sounds like a wicked idea - can I come with you?