NEurope
mcj metroid

Unused gaming items, levels etc

I could not think of a better name for this thread lol:D So if you wanna change it please do.

Personally I love finding out things that were taking out of classic games mostly due to time Restraints.

This thread is dedicated to gaming myths, like original concepts, unreachable items level, Black spaces were there were meant to be dungeons( I'm looking at you OOT) so If you have any at all, an article or anything, please post.

These are taking from Beta versions of the game or bits of unused code in the game.I Don't claim to know the specifics. I have only posted the most popular ones.

Compilation of old super mario 64 clips. In this you can see how weird the old inside of the castle used to look

Thought to be the old version of the Great fairy in OOT

This is a fans reconstuction of the what little we know about each of these levels in sonic 2. Hidden palace was IN the beta version but without using cheats it was impossible to get past act 1. You may realise near the end of the video the Death egg zone, is basically chemical plant with a new background. A lot of sonic fans believe it was meant to be a 2 part zone like in sonic 3. ENJOY!

A lot of you probably remember this one. It's the secret island in the Dam level in goldeneye. Supposedly later in the game a boat ride would take you there. Pretty cool though eh.

Unused music from Minish Cap

If you have anything like this post. I love this shit :D

Edited by mcj metroid

Awesome stuff! I remeber looking over at the ISland on the Dam level and wishing I could get over there :D

Great idea for a thread! Really interesting when you see stuff in its really early stages - I remember the N64 stuff always seemed to undergo such radical changes!

Great idea for a thread! Really interesting when you see stuff in its really early stages - I remember the N64 stuff always seemed to undergo such radical changes!

this is a pretty interesting vid actually.( I also remember this show !!!)

It shows you that originally Mario's third jump was a spin( check around 17 second mark) and check out his voice:laughing:

and the outside of the castle looks... nice :)

In fact this entire vid is WAAAYY better than the one in my original post. Just about ever frame has something weird :)

This vid is so old they're calling the n64 the ultra 64

more details and obviously from the show Gamesmaster :D

by the way they thought it would be 150 stages :D... kiiinda

Edited by mcj metroid

Well it probably wasn't far off, if you take each star as a stage in each zone!

A lot of you probably remember this one. It's the secret island in the Dam level in goldeneye. Supposedly later in the game a boat ride would take you there. Pretty cool though eh.

Yeah I always used to zoom in the sight and look at that island, didn't realise there was a video of someone going over there!!

Judging by the gun turret which I guess you'd have to take out from the boat on the way over, the guard tower was probably intended to house a heavily guarded secret gun of some kind!

----

Finding the Triforce in an OOT Beta:

As a massive Zelda fan, the Blue fairy thing was pretty awesome although I wish I had more information, may have to go Google mad. The obtaining the tri-force thing. Looks poor think it would have been silly to include it really!

What the hell was that walking onion thing?

this one is brilliant actually. check out the realistic looking people?

It's amazing they changed it so much.

for those interested in paper mario 1 here is some beta footage

After having finished Paper Mario again, this is very interesting to see, thanks!

is pretty cool seeing the old ghosts and whatnot, i have little to add, except that i know they were gonna put the feather into mk64 but didn't(don't know why) i remember 'unlocking' it with an action replay

is pretty cool seeing the old ghosts and whatnot, i have little to add, except that i know they were gonna put the feather into mk64 but didn't(don't know why) i remember 'unlocking' it with an action replay

I suppose Tracks like Wario Stadium would be prone to even more ridiculous shortcuts..

I dislike shortcuts in general in mario kart. They're fun to find but alienate new players. I'm going to assume that's why they have been toned down I assume.

It's surprising how much Sunshine changed between that early trailer and what we got our hands on. Especially the Hub, which is the most obvious change.

It's surprising how much Sunshine changed between that early trailer and what we got our hands on. Especially the Hub, which is the most obvious change.

I love seeing shit like this. What could it possibly have been used for?

It does make me think what that could have been used for as well. Not taking away how good Sunshine is, but imagine if some of the stuff Ninty left out was actually in-game.

Speaking of which, some original footage of the last Rare game to hit a Nintendo Home Console (before it's re-hash)

And, what became of it afterwards

Speaking of which, some original footage of the last Rare game to hit a Nintendo Home Console (before it's re-hash)

I hadn't seen most of that stuff. Dinosaur Planet looked like it really pushed the N64.

Really want to see this version, would have preferred it to the awful Resi 5!

Also, nearly 15 minutes of the original Resident Evil 2 beta

And the N64 version of Resi 0

Edited by Dog-amoto

So I was pretty huge into the Halo 2 modding scene back in the day. Halo 2 had HEAPS AND HEAPS of content left on the disk that was never used, so as a modder it was our job to return this content to the game and make it amusing.

I can't find a video of what I want in this, but the map Relic had these pink shield things that originally were used to keep vehicles from driving up onto the base. You can shoot the shield and break it, and then the car can drive up there, but until then you're stuck out. They removed it for whatever reason, but left it on the disk, so we used it to make stair cases.

That same map also had ODST Drop pods littered around the map, but we assume they were removed to clear up the terrain for easier vehicle movement.

Ahh I wish I could find videos of other stuff they removed, but no dice.

The most notable thing that I can remember from the game was Containment's shield/gate thing. There is a switch in Containment that when pressed lowers this big ramp so people can get into the base with vehicles. This originally also would lower this giant shield thing that covered the top of the base, and bring it down to the ground level so that although vehicles could get inside the base, they couldn't get to the flag/bomb plant location, and would give the bomb/flag a little bit more cover. For some reason they ended up just removing that shield entirely and stuck only with the ramp that lowers when the switch is pressed.

That map also has land mines all over the map, and those land mines went through several revisions before finally coming up with the little triangle pyramid design. There are actually four different types of mines that are in the game on that map, but only one of them is ever actually used.

EDIT:

ALSO!!

I know nearly everyone has seen this, but... It's very relevant to the thread haha.

Basically, the Arwing was put in during development to test the Z-targeting stuff... and they never fully removed it from the game, so it can still be accessed using Action Replay or Gameshark codes.

Edited by Llama Juice

Wave Race 64 was originally going to be boats instead of jet skis. :o

WAVE01.JPGwaverace64proto67.jpg

I for one had no idea about this. Looks like a bit like Hydro Thunder.