NEurope
darksnowman

Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance

Who?

Looking forward to this a lot. The spin offs have yet to disappoint me the slighest and I'm sure I will have a great time with this one too.

135ad0b28fa0f844ef907110l.jpg

@Tales have you played The World Ends With You? Neku's the protagonist in it.

Neku appears as a guest character in Sora's side of the TGS demo -- though not a playable guest. Both Neku and his rival/friend/frienemy Riku team up with captured dream-monsters this time around rather than fighting alongside licensed characters. Neku's role is more that of the Disney-world guests from previous games. He shows up, reveals that he's caught in a "game," leaving him 43 minutes to win or die. Naturally, he asks Sora to be his partner but ultimately decides the tousle-haired protagonist is "a weird guy" and takes off. Sora follows, riding rails in pursuit of Neku, but quickly encounters a boss battle set in a cul-de-sac of Traverse Town.

Some more info in this 1UP.com preview.

:shakehead

Is nothing sacred?

Despite the clusterfuck abomination that is the plot of this series there's a lot of hope for this game.

Nomura has fostered a lot of talent in the Osaka team that are working on this not to dissimilar from how he was mentored by Sakaguchi and Kitase in the 90s. Many senior staff members from Jupiter (Chain of Memoires, TWEWY) have also been folded in to this team. These guys previously made Birth by Sleep which is not only the best entry in the Kingdom Hearts series but is easily a contender for one of the best titles on the PSP.

The only problem with Birth by Sleep was the lack of a second analogue stick for mapping camera control. Problem solved here.

It's also nice to see S-E hasn't swept TWEWY under the rug.

First half of that trailer was so painful... overly melodramatic music with totally nothing actually going on (ok.. the wizard could have said something but still).

Combat system looks pretty good and although I'm a massive Disney fan this series has always looked a little too Japanese in style for me. Never know though.

Twister! Thats my favourite tune from TWEWY. :grin:

Twister

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Twister Remix

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Twister (Japanese)

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Twister Gang Remix

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Some scans have been popping up for Kingdom Hearts: Dedede (Beat and Joshua from TWEWY are shown for example) and the game is down for a March release in Japan but nevermind that, listen to this:

Goosebumps!

Sounds brilliant. But then, the soundtrack has never really disappointed, outside of the repetition of music in the DS from previous games and even then it was still enjoyable.

So March in Japan... End of the 2012 for us then? September maybe? Wait is going to be painful as it is looking very good. Hopefully the Jump Festa trailer will be released soon-ish as they apparently showed a Tron: Legacy themed world which could be cool if true.

Spinoffs were just ways to get extra money out of people, but the original game and the second one were quite awesome. I am really interested in seeing how they are going to do this next one.

KH 3D is out in Japan on March 29th along with a KH 3D 3DS bundle and the KH 3D + 358/2 Days + Re: Coded 10th Anniversary bundle. The 3DS bundle sold out in mere minutes on Amazon and in just four hours on the S-E e-Store. The Japanese KH fans are really lapping it up!

Source.

I'm interested in this but I've always been put off by these games despite liking Disney.

I just think plonking Disney characters next to Square Enix characters just highlights how unimaginatively designed and generic JRPG characters are.

that's a gorgeous cover! is there a possibility that the west can get the bundle? if so I'd definitely want that. either way I'm buying this game.

That is some seriously dreamy cover-art, no pun intended.

This will be my first Spin-Off purchase... I was tempted by the Roxas one on DS, but never got round to getting it... but I am not missing ANY game oppertuities on the 3DS since I was an early adopter and... well... bought 1 game for a year? haha... It's lovely to finally have games!!!

"Not saying the games as a whole suck. In fact when it comes to pacing, battle systems, and core gameplay, pretty much everything except the platforming mechanics, Kingdom Hearts shines. But then you try and explain the story out loud and all that comes out is a garbled mess of emo kids and Orlando Bloom cameos."

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/121/1219540p1.html

I've hardly played KH, so I don't really know, but does it's story SUCK? or is this another typical IGN article.

This question goes out to anyone who's played KH or knows the story.

I find the story pretty simple. It's weird but simple. Alot of people try to over complicate the thing and that's when things get messy. You do really have to play all of them to understand what's going on, but apparently this game comes with a recap of the previous installments, to help catch people up.

That boxart is indeed great. :grin:

The only KH I've played is Chain of Memories and I'd consider myself a fan of the series. The story is meant to be horrendously convoluted so probably best to just roll with it and enjoy the games for what they are. I really need to finish CoM off sometime but its been so long since I started it that I've forgotten the controls. I played it again last year and was battling some guy infront of a gate I think, and hadn't a baldy what to do. Afterwards I remembered those Sleight moves which would probably have come in very handy. :indeed:

A friend once proudly demonstrated KH2 to me and tried to explain the story... Let's just say it was enough for me to decide that I'd never play a KH game. ;) Going by the last trailer though, this game seems to be a huge production. I hope it's a sign of things to come for the 3DS.

Now, the cover looks great. But somehow unfamiliar, almost too good. As if something is missing. I wonder...

kh3duskmockup.jpg

Ah, much better. :(

Amazon and Play have the game up for pre-order at £24.99 if anyone's looking to save a fiver.

I've put a pre-order down for this and Heroes of Ruin. Will decide if I'm keeping them closer to release, depending on impressions and what else will be out around then.

In the "Special" section of the official site, you can watch recorded videos of the 10th Anniversary Event's special presentation. It is a version of the 4 minute KH3D CG opening projected live onto the stage along with some edited footage from the game beamed via holograms at the same time. Pretty cool

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/_cache/movie/kingdom/3d/kh3d_event2_large.mp4

HYPE x INFINITY :bouncy: