NEurope
Dante

Resident Evil Revelations 3DS

Haha, I don't have enough space on my SD card to download the RE demo :heh:

I prolly should delete all the old E3 videos and other videos I still have on my 3DS :heh:

Or maybe just get a new bigger SD card :heh:

Will the 3DS take a 32GB card?

Details from Iwata Asks:

A new third-party interview has gone live on the Iwata Asks website. Much of the discussion focuses on Resident Evil: Revelations, but there are a few tidbits about The Mercenaries 3D as well.

Sound coordinator Kota Suzuki, art director Yoshizumi Hori, director Koshi Nakanishi, Tsukasa Takenaka, producer Masachika Kawata, and Nintendo president Satoru Iwata participated in the interview.

Head past the break for a roundup of details!

Return to Survival Horror

- Kawata became involved with this project a bit before E3 2010

- Kawata wanted to make a full-on Resident Evil game rather than just port the series into a handheld system

- He was motivated when he heard that there was going to be hardware that could show 3D without special glasses

- Kawata also wanted to get back to the origins of the series

- Kawata wanted a team that could make a truly frightening Resident Evil

- There was talk about giving the project a lot of volume and wanting the fans to enjoy the fear element

- Takenaka believes that the first demo for E3 was like a concept trailer for showing how much Capcom could do with the 3DS

- 3D implementation wasn’t going well at the start because no one had used the 3DS that much

- Capcom brought a demo along when there was an opportunity for an exhibition so they could have many people try it and remove anything unsatisfactory

- Kawata: “We thought we could make something even better than we had set out to, and said, “Why don’t we make Mercenaries?â€

The Second Lap of Development

- The Mercenaries 3D came about as Capcom needed to actually run a game on the 3DS

- Capcom took Resident Evil 5 and ran it on the 3DS

- The impact of this was more than Capcom had imagined

- Capcom thought, “We can make this into a product†and knew making it would give them experience

- Control changes were made to Mercenaries and finished Revelations looking at players’ feedback

- Kawata feels that Mercenaries 3D is pushing the 3DS hardware-wise in terms of it being a developmental challenge

- The Revelations team was on their second lap of development and could make it smoothly after gaining experience making Mercenaries 3D

- Capcom could have set the deadline earlier than planned because of the experience they had earned; everyone worked twice as much

- Capcom was able to address different issues about one year ahead of time that might be expected about half a year before completion

- Mercenaries 3D/Revelations development periods overlapped

- Hori thinks the visuals went smoothly because the key concept of horror was decided early on and it was clear the script was based on the sea/ship

- Kawata asked Hori to turn the visuals that had barely been pulled off in time for E3 and turn them into something that would run as a game

- Hori: “So I talked with the programmers and checked into the memory and thought about what to do. Part of my job was also consulting with others on level design—stage design and layout—and making decisions as we went along.â€

- Iwata says that Capcom’s way of designing from function is a lot like Nintendo’s approach

- Hori proposed a lot for the makeup of gameplay along with making the graphics

Like a TV Series

- Kawata says that “the story is extremely voluminous and packed full of ideasâ€

- Capcom decided on a serial drama format early on

- 12 scenarios were made that Capcom wanted to end a certain way in a specific situation and had the scriptwriters link them together

- Some scenarios got cut out because they wouldn’t fit no matter what

- Story writing/game development ran almost in parallel

- Like past games in the series, Revelations subtly builds upon something that seems possible and as you’re playing, you get drawn into the world; the games tend to end with something absolutely unbelievable

- Suzuki nominated himself and joined the team after seeing the first trailer at E3

- Suzuki consciously made rich sound effects and music so as not to lose to the graphics

- Music has a mysterious feeling, and sometimes the music is left out/only uses sound effects

- The direction of the music was another element that was determined early on

- Suzuki made some catchy theme music when he heard that Revelations would be like a foreign TV series

- The “Revelations†song sticks in your head, so Capcom has been using it in all of the trailer like you would for a movie

- Suzuki thought of piano music when it comes to the sea and suspense

- Voices are recorded in Japanese for the first time in the series

- French, Italian, German, and Spanish voices are in the game as well

- Some people inside Capcom played the game without the sound, and said that it wasn’t scary

- Because of this, Capcom made it a point to have headphones when showing Revelations at events

- Suzuki believes that the 3DS’ system surround mode is perfect for Revelations

- Capcom paid a great deal of attention to the sound of footsteps in the game, much like they have with past titles in the series

“Biorealâ€

- Nakanishi says that the essence of Resident Evil is that it’s a “Survival Horror Game†and that it’s “biorealâ€

- Bioreal means real in the world of Resident Evil

- An example of bioreal is viruses; when something happens, you can explain it by the mutation of a virus; if a ghost showed up, that’s no good

- Capcom has scrapped some ideas that aren’t bioreal

- Kawata says that Capcom is scared of worrying too much about biorealism and that they end up doing the same thing over and over

- Kawata: “I feel like Resident Evil leaves our hands and goes into the players’. Even if we want to do something drastically different, we must overcome the image that the players have of Resident Evil. That kind of dialogue with the players is interesting.â€

- Revelations came together as a result of all that has built up so far

- Rachel’s presence is different this time; she’s sort of like a spirit

- The 3D immersion and the fact that the 3DS is a handheld were a couple of the reasons why Capcom decided to focus on horror after E3

- Capcom decided on the story taking place in a ship so they could make use of its sense of limited space

- Variation like snowy mountains and coasts were added because nothing but the inside of a ship would lack change

- Revelations is structured like a drama, so the events aren’t always in chronological order

- This appears to be a first for Resident Evil

- Because it’s a horror game, the team hesitated in allowing the player to pause the game at any time

- They decided to allow it because it would be necessary as a portable game

- Kawata thinks it’s easier to get into Revelations compared to previous Resident Evil games

Fear and Immersion

- Feedback from fans at events “was extremely helpful†and “hugeâ€

- Nakanishi believes that when you make horror games, you get anaesthetized and lose sight of what’s scary

- In-house testing is done to see if a part is really that scary

- Sometimes bright music is used in a dark scene, and then incongruity causes fear

- Starting into a handheld’s small screen is great for horror since horror is one-on-one

- The 3D offers a stronger feeling of exploring and is perfect for the limited setting of the inside of a ship

Energetic Fellows and Twice the Work

- Raid Mode is a completely different concept than the main mode

- Capcom was thinking about different bonus games

- They were thinking about various possibilities and saw a nearby team having fun with Monster Hunter

- Kawata: “We were gazing on in envy and the staff pulled it together nicely.â€

- The staff felt that the games you can play with others are fun, so they should make one

- Capcom removed unnecessary elements and focused on a pure battle mode

- Kawata felt like they were making two games

- Mercenaries 3D team worked on Raid Mode

- They were able to produce content quickly since they had experience from Mercenaries 3D

- Focused sessions in Raid Mode can last as little as three seconds, or 5-10 minutes for longer sessions

- Can play Raid Mode if you haven’t completed the main game

- The team didn’t focus on the fact that it was for a handheld; they just made a full-on Resident Evil

- Capcom tried making graphics like for a home console rather than a handheld

- Raid Mode was fine-tuned

- Kawata wonders why they didn’t give Revelations a number on the title as it’s a true-as-can-be Resident Evil game from head to toe

Thanks for that @Dante

Was fascinating some of the things said there!

I agree with one of the last points:

- Kawata wonders why they didn’t give Revelations a number on the title as it’s a true-as-can-be Resident Evil game from head to toe

Can't wait for this game!! :D

Just look at the game in the same light as Code Veronica... that didn't get a number but was one of the greatest Resi games ever.

The series is getting into a right muddle now however that Resident Evil 6 actually comes before Resi 5! If anything Resi 6 should have had a subtitle and not a number, but they were never gonna do that for a big home console game! (... well except that they did for Code Veronica... hmm :p)

Just look at the game in the same light as Code Veronica... that didn't get a number but was one of the greatest Resi games ever.

Hmm I never played Code Veronica you know!

Do you think it's worth picking it up as a download on the 360/ps3? They 'remastered' it along with Resi 4 last year didn't they?!

Or is it a nostalgia thing and not worth revisiting now?! :p

@Aneres11 It's a difficult one really, because of how it looks and plays nowadays... at least with the likes of REmake you're getting a game that looks really nice... it'll depend on whether you think you can look past that and how much you're able to forgive.

I played the original when it came out on the Dreamcast, and honestly I think I'd probably put it in my Top 10 games of all time! It was the first Resident Evil game I'd played and it was that good! But that's me talking about the game as it was then.

It had a great story, the graphics were amazing, I loved the characters...

I've been wondering whether to give the PS3 version a go at some point, now that I've got one, but I'm not sure. I think there's a chance I probably will.

If you think you can look past the obvious limitations, and what probably now isn't the best voice acting etc... I'd definately recommend it!

Edited by Retro_Link

@Aneres11 It's a difficult one really, because of how it looks and plays nowadays... at least with the likes of REmake you're getting a game that looks really nice... it'll depend on whether you think you can look past that and how much you're able to forgive.

I played the original when it came out on the Dreamcast, and honestly I think I'd probably put it in my Top 10 games of all time! It was the first Resident Evil game I'd played and it was that good! But that's me talking about the game as it was then.

It had a great story, the graphics were amazing, I loved the characters...

I've been wondering whether to give the PS3 version a go at some point, now that I've got one, but I'm not sure. I think there's a chance I probably will.

If you think you can look past the obvious limitations, and what probably now is a bit more lame voice acting etc... than I'd definately recommend it!

Thanks Retro!

Hmm well I have a free evening and nothing to play all week now as I have finished 3d Land and am waiting Revelations at the end of next week!

So I might give it a go!

After all - the dodgy voice acting is all part of the RE charm right?!!

I know what you mean though about games as they were. I know if they were to release the first RE (again lol) then I would snap it up instantly!!

Only because it is one of my top 10 games of all time, like CV is for you! It's also the first RE I played!

I might DL it and see what I think!

Thanks again!! :grin:

Thanks Retro!

Hmm well I have a free evening and nothing to play all week now as I have finished 3d Land and am waiting Revelations at the end of next week!

So I might give it a go!

After all - the dodgy voice acting is all part of the RE charm right?!!

I know what you mean though about games as they were. I know if they were to release the first RE (again lol) then I would snap it up instantly!!

Only because it is one of my top 10 games of all time, like CV is for you! It's also the first RE I played!

I might DL it and see what I think!

Thanks again!! :grin:

That's cool... Do it!! :D

[if you do] I look forward to hearing what you think, and about the 'HD' conversion.

See how those clunky controls hold up! :p

The series is getting into a right muddle now however that Resident Evil 6 actually comes before Resi 5! If anything Resi 6 should have had a subtitle and not a number, but they were never gonna do that for a big home console game! (... well except that they did for Code Veronica... hmm :p)

REALLY?

Well damn that's just gonna cunfuse things.... although RE3 took place both before and after RE2.

Thought if 6 does take place before 5 the only good things then (for me) is that it won't matter much that I haven't played 5 if 6 comes out on the WiiU (and I can afford a WiiU when it comes out) and also then there might be a chance of Albert Wesker being in it :awesome:

Anyway I bought a new 16BG card for my 3DS today, moved over all the files from the 2GB card that came with it and downloaded the RE:R demo..... and now I need to change my pants because I just SHAT them :heh:

What the hell are those things.... I was expecting Zombies to come at me... I know they showed one of those "things" in some trailers but I always thought they'd be rare late in game hard to beat enimies like the Regenerators in RE4

Actually I thought they were Regenerators too and after killing the first I spent like 5 mins watching it waiting for it to get back up... and then expected to see some knd of cut scene after I left the room.

Played with lights off and volume on max, couldn't find headphones but damn they nailed the atmosphere.

Also like how you can move a bit while aiming now, woot, made for great tense moment edging round corners :heh:

Edited by Mokong

REALLY?

Well damn that's just gonna cunfuse things.... although RE3 took place both before and after RE2.

Thought if 6 does take place before 5 the only good things then (for me) is that it won't matter much that I haven't played 5 if 6 comes out on the WiiU (and I can afford a WiiU when it comes out) and also then there might be a chance of Albert Wesker being in it :awesome:

Yep, apparently it's set 1 year before Resi 5, so would actually be set some time after Revelations.

I'm glad this game is coming, otherwise Resident Evil would be dead to me. :heh:

I generally dislike it when games or films "break" the order by having a numbered sequence, yet it taking place in a different chronological order. What's the point? If they're not in order, why not just ditch the numbered system?

@Mokong X\-C, have you played the demo on Hell difficulty yet? :D If not, make sure you try it, 'tis awesome. icon14.gif

Is Raid Mode available from the start?
I'd like to know that too.

I passed on The Mercenaries 3D, so I'm looking forward to Raid Mode quite a bit.

Hope it delivers. It looks pretty sweet though:

The 3D in this game is absolutely delicious! So comfortable to the eyes too, even with the slider to the max and changing the 3D setting in-game to "strong" or "very strong". I normally only set the slider to around a quarter or so:o

(initial 3D calibration of the 3DS is set to pretty low)

Capcom have nailed 3D in every one of their games! Though in general my eyes have adjusted to the 3D more and I can generally have it full whack all the time now. Should play Piltowings again to see if I can handle that!!

I can't wait to get home and play this game, but I have to say I was disappointed with the headphones; the sound effects of her shuffling her feet and when the monsters die is a bit back to be honest, took me out of it; prefer it out of the speakers (as long as it's quiet)

Are you demo players using 1st or 3rd person aiming? How are they both?
I switched between the two quite a bit. It's pretty much just a visual change, with minimal effect on gameplay.

3rd person is basically the same as it was in Resi 4, so everyone that has played that will be right at home there. 1st person feels ever so slightly quicker as the camera obviously zooms in further, it also enhances the 3D effect more than the 3rd person view. :awesome:

I think I'm going to stick with 1st person when I play the full game though, for the reasons I mentioned above, but also because you're able to see more of the surroundings, which for a game as stunning as this is a very good thing indeed. ;)

@Mokong X\-C, have you played the demo on Hell difficulty yet? :D If not, make sure you try it, 'tis awesome. icon14.gif

Yeah, just gave it a few goes, wasn't expecting all the extra enemies and got freaked out :heh:

Got as far as the elevator room on my 3rd try but tried to run past the "thing" there as I was half dead and ended up running into it and a one hit kill :heh:

Didn't feel much like starting again and waiting through the convo bit again (no patience :heh:) and figured since the game it out on Friday I better try get back to Tales of the Abyss to finish that off :D

Are you demo players using 1st or 3rd person aiming? How are they both?

I tried both, both seemed fine though I'll likely use 3rd person when I get the game as it feels more "RE" and I'm having my FPS fill with with MW3 online at the moment

ShopTo have posted my copy :) with any luck I'll be playing this tomorrow! :D

I'll be waiting for both the game and Circle Pad Pro go down in price. I probably would have bought the bundle if it wasn't exclusive to Zavii.

@Mokong X\-C you should try and get past the elevator room in Hell mode, it's worth it :P

The bundle was £29.95 earlier this month... My order from Zavvi says awaiting dispatch so I'm guessing it'll be shipped tomorrow morning and arrive by Friday.

awaiting for dispatch really? my order status is "processing" but I wasn't expecting my order to arrive on launch day anyway.

ShopTo have posted my copy :) with any luck I'll be playing this tomorrow! :D

Same here! My CPP was also shipped aswell.

Enjoying the demo, seems like the creatures might be

vampiric in nature. Pretty gruesome.