NEurope
Retro_Link

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS

you kidding me? The problem i had was NOBODY cared about skyward sword when this was announced. it made me cringe for the nintendo fanbase to be honest.

NIntendo probably knew this was going to happen so they tried to dumb it down slightly..

Course it didn't help much that their skyward demonstration was a little disappointing either.

The sad fact is all this time before E3, everyone was blurting out how they don't want the same old Zelda game over and over again.

Yet now Zelda/Nintendo fans don't care about Skyward Sword as much but are uber hype shit insane for a remake of a Zelda game.

Nice generalisations there, as per usual.

Maybe because the Skyward Sword demo was pretty poor that the hype isn't what it could be? Maybe because SS looks exactly like 'the same old Zelda'. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but a tech demo of the same old thing with motion controls isn't going to make fans freak out.

Maybe because the Skyward Sword demo was pretty poor that the hype isn't what it could be? Maybe because SS looks exactly like 'the same old Zelda'. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but a tech demo of the same old thing with motion controls isn't going to make fans freak out.

No, but literally the same old thing with 3D and better graphics made fans freak out.

Either way, I don't really care about the usual antics of the Zelda fanbase

Let's not underestimate Ocarina of Time here. Seeing the comparisons in the Gametrailers video reminded me of how it was so much better than Twilight Princess. There are subtle things like colours, camera angles and how big Link is in the overall frame that all combine to make OOT the much more immersive game, even if it's a generation older. I'd even say it has better graphics. Nintendo should take a good look at Ocarina of Time and try to understand why it's so good (and that doesn't mean every game has to have Epona, Gorons, Zoras etc).

As for Skyward Sword - Twilight Princess character models put through a filter with nicer colours... Looks good. Nothing to get overly excited about yet though. A factor may be that the 3DS is significantly better hardware for a handheld than the Wii is for a console. Perhaps the Wii is just too inherently weak for people to get excited about the games?

it's always the same with gamers though. Remake this and remake that? If the game was so "awesome" in the first place then why do you feel the need for a remake?

You can't blame nintendo for doing what they want with games and not listening to the fans sometimes to be honest,because if they did we'd be on OOT 10 with darker visuals, with 100 hours of gameplay and yedi yeda.

More risks need to be taken with the zelda series I feel.

More risks need to be taken with the zelda series I feel.
Yeah I agree.

I realised the other day that maybe Zelda isn't my favourite gaming series... it's just Ocarina of Time is my favourite game ever!

I've been somewhat dissapointed by each game in the series since and it's time they freshened it up somehow! That's what I thought we were getting with SS, but it's not looking that way yet.

Yeah I agree.

I realised the other day that maybe Zelda isn't my favourite gaming series... it's just Ocarina of Time is my favourite game ever!

I've been somewhat dissapointed by each game in the series since and it's time they freshened it up somehow! That's what I thought we were getting with SS, but it's not looking that way yet.

You were disappointed by Majora's Mask? How is that even possible.

I think people are being too quick to judge SS. The demo was just that - a demo to show off how the controls will work. A tech demo and not something the entire game should be based on. So far we know it features Link and he uses a sword... Well I'll be damned - it's the same as all the rest...

And by all accounts, the tech worked well for the most part on the show floor, even if Miyamoto-san's on stage demonstration was affected by interference.

I've been somewhat dissapointed by each game in the series since and it's time they freshened it up somehow!

Lemme guess: You've played each game in the series and after realizing it wasn't like OoT, you decided it was inferior to OoT and maybe even that you didn't like it at all. There's the problem.

Essentially with Zelda games you'll often observe that younger players tend to stick to the first entry of the series they played as their favorite Zelda game. So there are enough people out there, who'll claim OoT isn't the best Zelda game but WW or TP etc., even if they've played OoT at some point.

I'm in the same boat though, although I'd say I prefer MM a bit over OoT. Despite that i found WW and TP to be great games, if you look at them separately. It's just that the wow-factor has gone and you'll tend to notice many little or not so little things that you preferred in Zelda game ___. Therefore, I'm all for a change in SS or any sequel, too. I wonder if the changes to the Zelda formula in SS only extend to the controls... It's just that Nintendo has deliberately refused to demonstrate anything about the game aside from its controls at E3. This might be for the better actually.

As for OoT 3D, I'm perfectly fine with a portable 1:1 content remake in 3D, running at 60fps. If I might have a wish, it would be that they published it exclusively as a download title for up to 15€ in order to kick-start their 3DS online service (which hopefully won't be an insult in terms of usability again). But I highly doubt that'll happen, seeing that Nintendo are so very reluctant to embrace online services. I don't trust all their promises that the 3DS will be better, yet.

Edited by Burny

Lovely arguments there, but everyone KNOWS 'The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap' is superior over the others.

it's always the same with gamers though. Remake this and remake that? If the game was so "awesome" in the first place then why do you feel the need for a remake?

Wait a minute... we're merely excited that Nintendo is remaking one of its best games for its great-looking new handheld! It's not Ronnie's "fault" and there's no problem anyway.

The people who are creating a problem when there isn't one are the people who are telling us we should be more excited about Skyward Sword. There's no "should" about it. We're excited about Ocarina of Time because it's a great game, full stop. If Nintendo want us to get excited about a console Zelda again, it's down to them to make a top class game and pair it up with powerful hardware, good controls and inspiring trailers.

Essentially with Zelda games you'll often observe that younger players tend to stick to the first entry of the series they played as their favorite Zelda game. So there are enough people out there, who'll claim OoT isn't the best Zelda game but WW or TP etc., even if they've played OoT at some point.

I don't think this is a good enough explanation (no offence) because it underestimates the things Ocarina of Time got so right. Personally, my first was Link to the Past, and I felt they got better and better until my favourite game in the series, Wind Waker. I was no spring chicken when I played that, I can tell you!

The Wii and GameCube are only one generation on from the N64. Is it so hard to believe that Ocarina of Time can teach the newer games a thing or two?

The Wii and GameCube are only one generation on from the N64. Is it so hard to believe that Ocarina of Time can teach the newer games a thing or two?

In all honesty, Ocarina of Time can teach the majority of games out there a thing or two. It's not called the best game of all time for nothing.

I feel sorry for every subsequent Zelda, or indeed any game since. Most are forever living in it's shadow. Lets face it, whether we like it or not, the consoles Zeldas will always be compared to Ocarina. There's no escaping it. It's not just the benchmark, it's also the unreachable target. For a game to be better than that, surely it would also have to be the best game of all time...not an easy task at all.

Anyway, I loved Twilight Princess, will definitely be looking forward to Skyward Sword, and will also be keen to see how OoT 3D turns out. The more quality Zelda we get, the better.

I really don't get all the Wind Waker love, it was such a lazy game compared to OoT and the best game in the series, Majora's Mask. Nintendo need to go back to MM and look at what they did there. That game took what OoT did and refined it tenfold.

I really don't get all the Wind Waker love, it was such a lazy game compared to OoT and the best game in the series, Majora's Mask. Nintendo need to go back to MM and look at what they did there. That game took what OoT did and refined it tenfold.

I don't understand why the Wind Waker is rated to highly either. It didn't grab me at all. I did attempt to replay it again about a year ago, but then just lost interest.

Also, as much as I love Majora's Mask, it is very, very different to how Ocarina of Time works. It refines certain areas, but then the actual main quest and story arc isn't as long as Ocarina's. It's the perfect sequel, in that it doesn't try to emulate Ocarina.

I love both. Don't make me choose one over the other!:weep:

but then the actual main quest and story arc isn't as long as Ocarina's. It's the perfect sequel, in that it doesn't try to emulate Ocarina.

I think Majora's Mask is the perfect length. I honestly think having more than 4 dungeons wouldn't work considering the 3 day time limit. Besides, MM had more to do outside the dungeons then OoT.

Wait a minute... we're merely excited that Nintendo is remaking one of its best games for its great-looking new handheld! It's not Ronnie's "fault" and there's no problem anyway.

The people who are creating a problem when there isn't one are the people who are telling us we should be more excited about Skyward Sword. There's no "should" about it. We're excited about Ocarina of Time because it's a great game, full stop. If Nintendo want us to get excited about a console Zelda again, it's down to them to make a top class game and pair it up with powerful hardware, good controls and inspiring trailers.

It's just that, I honestly think that fans would prefer a remake of OOT than a brand new title for 3ds just going by the post-e3 reactions.

I just find remakes lazy most of the time. Most of the time it's a case of a new lick of paint and a few extras and DONE. I prefer remakes to put a spin on things but this isn't going to do that.

I think Majora's Mask is the perfect length. I honestly think having more than 4 dungeons wouldn't work considering the 3 day time limit. Besides, MM had more to do outside the dungeons then OoT.

That's what I was implying. The actual main quest isn't as long as Ocarina's (because of the 3 day limit and the amount of dungeons) but they did improve it in different areas (such as sidequests).

So, it's a different game. The ideal sequel.

I honestly think that MM could benefit more from a remake than OOT. SO many things stripped from the final game they could include and a save system update would do the game wonders.

Overall I consider it to be superior to OOT, never have I played a game that felt so detailed,alive and emotional.

That's what I was implying. The actual main quest isn't as long as Ocarina's (because of the 3 day limit and the amount of dungeons) but they did improve it in different areas (such as sidequests).

So, it's a different game. The ideal sequel.

The sidequests, although not mandatory, were still very much linked to the main quest of the game whereas in OoT they were strictly sidequest...ish?

It gave the gamer an option as to whether they wanted to fully complete the game, get a worthwhile reward for their hard work (Fierce Deity) and see the proper ending or just save the day and get on with it and let the difficulty hit them fighting Majora without the mask. With sidequests (some of which were better than even the dungeons and some aspects of the main quest) I could see it getting fairly close to Ocarina in terms of length.

Majora's Mask had much more depth, character development, emotion, variety. I could go for hours. I think to call it an ideal sequel is not doing the game justice. It was like taking something that was already perfect and making it twice as good.

Of course, I suppose that's just my opinion. Either way, I'd much rather go back to Clock Town than Hyrule Market anyday of the week.

Majora's Mask had much more depth, character development, emotion, variety. I could go for hours. I think to call it an ideal sequel is not doing the game justice. It was like taking something that was already perfect and making it twice as good.
Only in terms of the secondary characters. In terms of the two stories as a whole I was more absorbed into OOT.

Only in terms of the secondary characters. In terms of the two stories as a whole I was more absorbed into OOT.

What is it that you find more absorbing though? This isn't a rude retort by the way, I'm just curious what it is you like about it. I for one, love the moments where you meet Sheik before the various temples. I struggle to see how OoT has more depth in terms of the main story though. Sure it's the "big epic quest" but in terms of story it's pretty simple.

Majora's Mask was all about apocalypse, death, impending doom, despair, loss, friendship. That and the whole atmosphere to the game is completely fucked up.

I don't think this is a good enough explanation (no offence) because it underestimates the things Ocarina of Time got so right. Personally, my first was Link to the Past, and I felt they got better and better until my favourite game in the series, Wind Waker. I was no spring chicken when I played that, I can tell you!

I'm talking of the people who were "spring chicken" when they played WW or TP before they played any other Zelda. These people have a different perception of the series, because they didn't see it evolve in the context of gaming technology at that time. E.g. they won't miss things in TP like the plethora of sidequests found in MM, but they have come to expect the presentation of story sequences they found in TP etc.

Also, the Wii's more than powerful enough for a Zelda game that rivals OoT. The question is much rather if the developers know how to make that game. Unfortunately just doing everything like OoT did, won't cut it anymore, as OoT did it first. Even more so, as we're going to have a remake of the game that did it first in a modern technical context.

The sidequests, although not mandatory, were still very much linked to the main quest of the game whereas in OoT they were strictly sidequest...ish?

It gave the gamer an option as to whether they wanted to fully complete the game, get a worthwhile reward for their hard work (Fierce Deity) and see the proper ending or just save the day and get on with it and let the difficulty hit them fighting Majora without the mask. With sidequests (some of which were better than even the dungeons and some aspects of the main quest) I could see it getting fairly close to Ocarina in terms of length.

Of course, I suppose that's just my opinion. Either way, I'd much rather go back to Clock Town than Hyrule Market anyday of the week.

The character development is a lot more focused than it is in Ocarina. However, that doesn't mean that the characters in Ocarina are just left on the sidelines. I still think that it has the better story, more twists and turns. It's more story driven, whereas Majora is more character driven.

The sidequests were mostly linked to the collection of masks, which was briefly touched on in the previous game. I bet the developers thought "ah, that was good, maybe we can take that further" so they did, in style. However, in terms of the main quest, Ocarina is still much further ahead. Both games have their own positives, and their own "wow" moments. So, I love both.

This is more of a sideline than an actual participation in the conversation/discussion/fanbating but......

I appreciate OOT as a game, I appreciate Wind Waker as a piece of art.

This is more of a sideline than an actual participation in the conversation/discussion/fanbating but......

I appreciate OOT as a game, I appreciate Wind Waker as a piece of art.

As in "it looks pretty, but thats it"?

Or, as in "wowwww, thats a stunning piece of art. It's sooo much more than a game."

Which is it, boyo?