NEurope
Retro_Link

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS

It was the same with Metroid Prime Trilogy, where the US got an awesome metal case, while we just got a cardboard sleeve.

Metal case beats cheapish low quality piece of plastic with a Triforce printed on it any day. Honestly, these Ocarina's are bound to land in some corner and will collect dust. At least a nice case for the game will look nice in the game collection, so I'd say it already has a much greater value. :p

I would much rather have an interesting, unique and relevant gift with the game than the overused tin box. Tin boxes are such a cop out, most cheap limited editions have one.

At least the ocarina has some charm to it, and may actually entertain you for a short while as you try to produce a coherent tune from it. The tin box would sit on your shelf gathering dust, like all your other game boxes, and only make a brief appearance as you switch games.

The tin box would sit on your shelf gathering dust, like all your other game boxes, and only make a brief appearance as you switch games.

Meaning, you'll take it in into the hand and look at it a lot more often - if you're fan enough to replay the game regularly - than you would with the "ocarina".

That is bound to land in some dark corner once you realize it's not a useful instrument and whatever you're able to produce with it won't even sound good. And it will stay in that corner, unless you sell it over eBay, are a devoted collector in the first place or can finally bring yourself to throw it into the trash, e.g. when moving into another flat.

For fucking fucks sake, this kind of shit pisses me the fuck off so much. Honestly I swear to fucking (lolgod) that this country is a piece of fucking shit. Games in the U.S. are absurdly fucking cheap, and now everyone in the fucking world gets a god damn fucking ocarina! I'm not even a fan of this game and I want that shit, so fuck knows how uber-fans want that (badly).

A fucking poster and a piece of cardboard? Why don't you piss off. Wankers fuck.

I'm still pissed about the Super Scribblenauts headphones too. Fuckin' wanted them badly.

You're like that unfunny, reviewer nerd on youtube who thinks because he uses the word fuck and swears a lot he's cool. Not saying you're exactly like him, but that's the impression I get from the above OTT post, chill out man.

Meaning, you'll take it in into the hand and look at it a lot more often - if you're fan enough to replay the game regularly - than you would with the "ocarina".

That is bound to land in some dark corner once you realize it's not a useful instrument and whatever you're able to produce with it won't even sound good. And it will stay in that corner, unless you sell it over eBay, are a devoted collector in the first place or can finally bring yourself to throw it into the trash, e.g. when moving into another flat.

Yes...look at it. What really is the point? It's not original in any way, every other game does it. How often do I look at my tin boxes? Never, at least not in any other sense than to take the game out. It's not a thing of beauty that I like to hold out in front of me while sipping red wine.

I could quite easily imagine the ocarina being a fun toy with a novelty side to it, the kind of thing that a friend might pick up off the side and embarass himself with by trying to play a note. You know, it at least has something interesting and original about it, if it entertains someone for a minute then that's a minute more than a tin box.

I could quite easily imagine the ocarina being a fun toy with a novelty side to it, the kind of thing that a friend might pick up off the side and embarass himself with by trying to play a note. You know, it at least has something interesting and original about it, if it entertains someone for a minute then that's a minute more than a tin box.

I would agree if we were talking about this. But we're talking about Mc.Do kids meal level of trash and originality. I for one like a nice book or game cover on the shelf and value it far more than any cheap plastic toy that'll only give me a bad conscience for trowing it away, even if it's the only thing to do with it. It doesn't matter if there are a million other games or books with nice covers out there, as long as the one I want has one, too.

That said, has there ever been something special with DS games in terms of tin cases? I can't remember anything... I know that Radiant Historia had a soundtrack CD included in the first run (also infinitely more useful than plastic toys), but that's about the only real special I remember for DS games.

Ocarinas are fairly simple, I'm sure it'll play a note fine despite it not being painted by an artisan. It's still a far better promo than a tin box.

To be fair, the text is in German, but it's not the painting that matters which is quiet primitive (although it is painted vs. just blue plastic). It's made of actual ceramik and comes in a leather pouch. That's what distinguishes it from the throwaway trash you're likely to get as preorder stuff.

And no, I'm not arguing that they should include something like this for free. I'm arguing that you get what you pay for, and as the preorder stuff is free you get nothing even remotely of value. :p

carrotandstickincentive.png

The carrot's made of plastic and can't even be eaten. You can of course try to take a bite, but you'll throw it away afterwards.

Except for the tree seed in Greece. That is a cool bonus.

Edited by Burny

GAME are charging a tenner more than other places last I checked so you can see UK promo stuff (which is fuck all) being valued at that much if you like.

GAME are charging a tenner more than other places last I checked so you can see UK promo stuff (which is fuck all) being valued at that much if you like.

I only see GAME being that bold, if you like. ;)

Being that I have an actual Ocarina of Time replica - i.e not plastic - that I bought over a decade ago, I'm not that interested in the Aussie pre-order bonus especially if it's gonna cost £10 - £15 more than the RRP... :p

The tin also doesn't excite me and so that's why I've just put my pre-order in with Shop-To so I can at least get the important part - the game - for a reasonable price. ;)

I only see GAME being that bold, if you like. ;)

Um, no. They are obviously charging more because they know they can, because die hard collectors will pay the extra dosh for the promos. That itself gives them value.

What next... Final Fantasy 7?

By the way, Super Street Fighter 4 is looking good as well.

No one's seen this yet? http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=15477

The name of the composer working on the two upcoming Zelda titles, Ocarina of Time 3D and Skyward Sword has finally been announced. Mahito Yokota has had the honours of providing two of Nintendo's most anticipated games with their soundtracks.

The news emerged in a new 'Ask Iwata' feature but, as Zelda Informer notes, details are sketchy at the moment as it is still in Japanese. However, it does seem to suggest Mr. Yokota has been working hard on remastering the original score and is taking advantage of the console's surround sound.

Um, no. They are obviously charging more because they know they can, because die hard collectors will pay the extra dosh for the promos. That itself gives them value.

Those, as well as people too stupid to order at some cheaper place. Also: die hard collectors are a rare breed. The rest is just getting ripped off 10 bucks.

@The_Peeps: Hero-of-time posted it in the Skyward Sword thread. Saw it on Neogaf, too. It's just not clear how the OoT Soundtrack has been "remastered". In the worst case, this could just mean that he had an orchestra play the song from the trailer linked on the last page.

Edited by Burny

Online it's the same price, and people who order games online are much more likely to know more than one place they can buy from. Face it, they're charging more because they secured the exclusive promotional items, and people are willing to pay more to get them.

GAME (online) are selling it for £34.99 now, ~£5 more than other retailers. It's £29.99 at Gameplay and since they are the same company you might get the preorder bonus if you want to take the chance.

What exactly should I face? They're giving away exclusive trash? I've been facing the preorder trash the whole time. I just didn't know they were bold enough to charge for it at first.

Btw. game is now only 5 bucks more expensive than amazon and shopto. Edit: Ike beat me to it. :p

What exactly should I face? They're giving away exclusive trash? I've been facing the preorder trash the whole time. I just didn't know they were bold enough to charge for it at first.

Btw. game is now only 5 bucks more expensive than amazon and shopto. Edit: Ike beat me to it. :p

£5, not bucks, but this still proves your point wrong about the extra stuff not having value. GAME online have valued it at £5.

I'll probably have to pay 40-50£ and with no pre order bonus stfu. Can't remember there ever being a pre order bonus for Nintendo games over here.

£5, not bucks, but this still proves your point wrong about the extra stuff not having value. GAME online have valued it at £5.

So, people fall for it and buy garbage as long as you paint some popular stuff on it. I've been totally proven wrong - my bad. At least they've just cut the premium for their garbage in half, that's nice of them. :p

I'll probably have to pay 40-50£ and with no pre order bonus stfu. Can't remember there ever being a pre order bonus for Nintendo games over here.

Paying a 10 pound premium for a bit of garbage seems like a luxury problem compared to having to pay the premium by default. Isn't importing from UK online shops an option? People over here do it all the time.

So, people fall for it and buy garbage as long as you paint some popular stuff on it. I've been totally proven wrong - my bad. At least they've just cut the premium for their garbage in half, that's nice of them. :p

Yeah, I won't be buying the extra crap, I honestly couldn't care less about it. It was just your insistence that preorder bonuses have no value that miffed me, as it is ridiculously untrue, and shops clearly go out on a limb to secure preorder bonuses to both get more sales and get away with higher prices.

Paying a 10 pound premium for a bit of garbage seems like a luxury problem compared to having to pay the premium by default. Isn't importing from UK online shops an option? People over here do it all the time.

25% tax plus 8£ charge for putting on tax so that's a big no unfortunately.

So from what I can tell from the recent Iwata Asks on the music Yokota's job has been remastering and optimising for the new system. He talks about timings having to be tweaked - 'tempo' - because of the new framerate (though I can't quite get my head round this). He also mentions that only one orchestral piece was arranged for the soundtrack, so it's safe to assume this is the trailer music.

So from what I can tell from the recent Iwata Asks on the music Yokota's job has been remastering and optimising for the new system. He talks about timings having to be tweaked - 'tempo' - because of the new framerate (though I can't quite get my head round this). He also mentions that only one orchestral piece was arranged for the soundtrack, so it's safe to assume this is the trailer music.

If most of it is higher-fidelity MIDI, that's fine by me. The orchestral music is the Zelda theme, isn't it? Unless I'm mistaken, that was never actually in Ocarina of Time, so it'll be interesting to see how they fit it in (perhaps to accompany a gameplay demo after the scenes with Epona galloping through the fields).

I'm just getting more excited about this by the day. It seems Nintendo may have pulled off the perfect remake - keeping the graphics, music and controls faithful, but better.

I was saying how great this'll be at work tonight and got accused of being a nostalgist. :heh: