NEurope
Retro_Link

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS

You're very right! What became of: "Ocarina of time has such a subdued color palette" though? ;)

Oh come on, you know I was taking about the N64 version. The 3DS remake has much more vibrant colours.

Oh come on, you know I was taking about the N64 version. The 3DS remake has much more vibrant colours.

You must've played it on a black/white television, then. :p

2808657683_d39451e3ca_o.jpg

Edited by Burny

I know it was only done to save creating Castle town in proper 3D but I really loved that fixed over-head shot when I first played Ocarina of Time, it looked quite cool at the time, especially with the distant background noise

Did they even bother modifying the models of those skeletons from the N64 version in the first picture?

Of course they did. The loincloths are unnecessarily bright, now.

You must've played it on a black/white television, then. :p

...OoT N64 does have subdued colours when compared to the 3DS version. What are you on about?

Why are some of the textures so aweful though, like the fence in Lon Lon Ranch, the Grass in the last photo, and in older pics, things like the cobweb walls in the Deku Tree etc... Syrely the 3DS has enough power to sort those out?

I can't remember seeing any blatently/standoutish bad textures in Kid Icarus.

Still I'm liking the look.

I always prefered the look of the updated character models of Adult/Young Link, Zelda/Sheik we had in Smash Bros Melee, to the more gritty ones in Brawl/Twilight Princess.

The Bomb Shop looks great, warm and tavern like.

Edited by Retro_Link

It's a portable version of Ocarina of Time, in my opinion the best videogame ever made. Quite whining! (aimed at everyone whining)

So what if some of the textures are pixellated and some of the geometry is rough, it's OOT on a handheld for christs sake :)

Edited by Kaxxx

Looks slightly different to the original:

800px-Kakariko_Bazaar.jpg

z4.jpg

Why are some of the textures so aweful though, like the fence in Lon Lon Ranch, the Grass in the last photo, and in older pics, things like the cobweb walls in the Deku Tree etc... Syrely the 3DS has enough power to sort those out?

I think it's so it still feels like the original, just sharper and more colourful. If you changed the polygon models too much (or even made them out of polygons, instead of 2D like the cobwebs), it might not feel like OOT.

Still I'm liking the look.

I always prefered the look of the updated character models of Adult/Young Link, Zelda/Sheik we had in Smash Bros Melee, to the more gritty ones in Brawl/Twilight Princess.

Yep, OOT Link is the peak of his character design, in my opinion (and I say that as someone whose favourite Zelda is Wind Waker).

I thought that too. OOT had such a good vibe when you went into the shops. The potion shop too, was nice and mysterious.

EDIT - And that comparison is brilliant! They've worked wonders.

Edited by Grazza

Wow, looking back, N64 Bomb Shop was a dump...

I find it funny that I thought the shops and stuff looked amazing when I first got the game.

haha thanks Cube! :D

Yeah the shops always felt great in Ocarina of Time, I'm surprised some were so sparse!... though of course Link being in the shop would have added a nice splash of colour.

It must have been the epic music that brought some of them to life.

I was looking forward to this before today, but I'm even more excited after seeing these new screen shots. The comparison shot between bomb shops shows just how much care and attention has gone into this remake. I just hope that working on this has reminded the Zelda dev team just what made it one of the best games ever, and that its influence has rubbed off on Skyward Sword.

Wow, looking at those bomb shop pics, I really am amazed at just how much they've redone! I assumed clean up the textures, some more detailed modelling, but they've actually tarted up locations in the game! Very impressive. I wonder if Castle town will be proper 3D...?

Yeah, great refurnishing...btw, it's actually not the Bomb Shop, but Bazaar ;)

You're right, though someone should check his license... he's got an aweful lot of explosives kicking about!

"You got a license for that?" "I have for this one" "What do you mean... this one"

I wonder if Castle town will be proper 3D...?

I think I read somewhere that it is - I'm really looking forward to seeing it! :D

The only part of the Market that I want them to change is that central circle. That thing wasn't a fixed camera, it was a rotating one. Unnecessarily confusing, and even the ReDeads' scream didn't work there. I always assumed the paralysis and that odd camera were somehow incompatible.

...OoT N64 does have subdued colours when compared to the 3DS version. What are you on about?

That OoT always was a cartoony game, which never used a subdued color palette in order to look realistic. The color palette was just plainly "normal" for environments and very colorful for characters. The grass was green, the mud was brown, the sky was blue, stones where gray and at night it was dark:

ocarinaoftimel.jpg

You could go the other way round: Some fools thinking they know what Diablo III has to look like demonstrate very well what a "subdued color palette" is.

Oh really... I think the fixed camera 2D areas are part of Ocarina's charm.

Look at the new bomb shop. It's fully modeled and rendered in 3D, but the camera angle is fixed. I'd imagine they're going to do the same with the castle town and other interior areas.

Edited by Burny

That OoT always was a cartoony game, which never used a subdued color palette in order to look realistic. The color palette was just plainly "normal" for environments and very colorful for characters. The grass was green, the mud was brown, the sky was blue, stones where gray and at night it was dark:

Dude, me and Grazza are just comparing the original with the remake. No one said that OoT looked bland, or brown, or whatever, just that the remake's colours are brighter than the N64 version.