NEurope
Ashley

Starfox 64 3D

Is it just me or are bombs useless in this re-make? Not so much during a level, but in the boss fight, they don't seem to do any damage.

Just placed an order for this after holding out at launch.

Wanting something new to play on my 3ds, and seen as how I never played the original, and that I really like the look of it, I thought i'd take the plunge.

Now to be patient for delivery.

<Waits...>

Is it here yet? :D

I've not actually done score attack yet. What's the range of points for bronze/silver/gold?

Silver seems to be the score you need for medals in the main game. The golds are a lot higher. For example, Corneria requires 150 for silver, 190 for gold. I've only managed to get gold on Meteo so far, it's really challenging.

I never played the original

You're in for a treat if you've never played it before, it's a real classic right up there with Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time. :)

oh wow it's that high? That's pushing it right to the edge, gonna have to give that a go later :D

What I hate is when I end up like 1 or 2 beneath Gold. Happens so often. It makes me cry

Is it just me or are bombs useless in this re-make? Not so much during a level, but in the boss fight, they don't seem to do any damage.

I know lock-ons were ineffective against Wolf O'Donnell and co in the original, I've a feeling that applies to nova bombs too. So if its Starwolf who are giving you bother, just shoot them down normally. I can't remember what it was like to use nova bombs against bosses in the N64 original - aside from Zoness, my bombs were used up during the levels to rack up come combo kills. :grin:

I can't remember what it was like to use nova bombs against bosses in the N64 original - aside from Zoness, my bombs were used up during the levels to rack up come combo kills. :grin:

..with the top score on my Lylat Wars cartridge to prove it :weep:

to rack up come combo kills. :grin:

Whoa, obviously a sleepy typo. I haven't forgot this is a family forum. :laughing:

..with the top score on my Lylat Wars cartridge to prove it :weep:

All too easy. : peace:

Well got this yesterday in the post from GAME.

And played a bit of it last night and tonight.

Its brilliant!

And the graphics are great! So much better on screen than any screen shots I have seen.

It controls really really nicely too.

I'm really enjoying it so far!

I recently got starfox, the game is fanrastic! The multiplayer mode is an absolute blast with friends, I shouldnt have pushed this purchase back.

Got my red 3DS with this, this afternoon. Just gotten round to playing Corneria, it is a lot prettier than screenshots let on. Managed to get 109, not my best but practice makes perfect.

I got this game over the weekend and it's fantastic! I agree with Emerald Emblem aswell, the graphics are just stunning.

I can't believe I lost to this SCUM

Managed to get 109, not my best but practice makes perfect.

Pretty weak. :wink:

Made it to Zoness this morning, it's much harder on a small handheld than it was on the N64.

What way are you playing this? You're supposed to complete it every time you fire it up, not just "make it through a few levels." :heh:

Made it to Zoness this morning, it's much harder on a small handheld than it was on the N64.

I agree with that, Area 6 also feels harder. Those levels need some pretty quick and precise manoeuvring at times and it's just harder to do with the 3DS controls. Also on both levels my teammates like to fly right through the back of me and judging from their reaction it's somehow it's my fault! I don't have eyes in the back of my head! :laughing:

Pretty weak. :wink:

Yeah, I reached 200 on the N64 before.

What way are you playing this? You're supposed to complete it every time you fire it up, not just "make it through a few levels." :heh:

With extra hours at work and having a lot of games to play right now, a few levels is all I manage. I know, I feel dirty exploiting the autosave on this iteration. :p

Yeah, I reached 200 on the N64 before.

Thats really good going! :o I think my highest on the N64 for Corneria (fourth planet of the Lylat system...) was 160/ 170.

Hardest route complete, lost Slippy in Area 6 though, gutted, right near the end as well.

EDIT: Can I just say Zoness looked amazing, the water and the rain they added just blew me away when I saw it.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

Yeah this game is awesome, at work we have Star Fox lunch breaks. Just a few matches, awesome, so much better than the N64 version. Can't wait for 4 player at our next gaming weekend!

I'm struggling to get any medals though, I have two and have finished a handful of times. Also getting the extra courses....

Thats really good going! :o I think my highest on the N64 for Corneria (fourth planet of the Lylat system...) was 160/ 170.
I must have played through it well over 100 times back in my youth, I was that hooked on it.

This being my only christmas game (why didn't I ask for Skyrim...) I'll add my thoughts.

Visually it's a lovely update. Everything looks so much more detailed and generally prettier, lots of nice touches here and there. The 3D is...it's probably quite good but I've realised this was one of the few games where I used to move the controller around a fuck load so I just keep it off.

The sound update is as someone said, a mixed bag. There's just some things that sounded much meatier and heavier on the N64. This is mainly the sound effects, the updated music is quite lovely. I especially like the 'select mode' update. The new added voice acting however....I dam near want them to write me a personal apology for somehow making this even worse.

The gameplay itself is as great as ever. The lack of online is really no great shame to me, never liked that type of dogfight multiplayer. I'm a little bit rusty, but if I do say I was quite good back in the day. I remember my high score being 1350+, right now it's sitting at 1186 on the second play through - was about 30 less on the first. I wasn't ever quite pro enough to medal all the Expert levels however and I certainly wasn't good enough to get the gold medal scores. They are...they're mad. Apart from Fuchina, I have managed that one. Still, it might well ensure even more replay value than usual. Also, they've added a level select. I didn't think they would have bothered but I love that it's there.

Very much enjoying it in all.

BUMP

Unwrapped and played this last night, on my 3DS XL. I've had it for a while but was saving it for the bigger screen.

Just to give some background, I very much liked Star Fox on the SNES. I was no expert at the game but explored the Medium and Difficult routes as much as I could. I didn't buy Lylat Wars for the N64 (maybe the expensive Rumble Pak bundle put me off), but I downloaded it for the Virtual Console and... didn't like it much. I found it quite difficult, even struggling with the first boss. And yet, I suspected it wasn't really as difficult as I thought; rather that I just wasn't in the mood to get to grips with the N64 original on Wii.

With this in mind I wasn't as excited about Star Fox 64 3D as I was about Ocarina of Time 3D. However, playing it last night, I loved it. The 3DS version must be much easier because I played the whole game through without losing a ship (apart from Slippy's, once). But that's a good thing because it makes it a lot more accessible, and I can't wait to try the harder routes and various challenges along the way.

Graphics and music are brilliant. With my headphones on, the huge screen of the XL and the 3D turned on, it was quite an experience. The 3DS has been so much richer for having these two N64 remakes, no doubt about it.

Pilotwings Resort >>>>>>>>>> Starfox 3DS; which I didn't enjoy at all I have to say.

Just don't think it's my type of game, but I gave it another try. I didn't even think the visuals were all that great.