NEurope
Ashley

Starfox 64 3D

See? I fucking told you! :D

I've been saying that they should put Starfox on the 3DS as soon as it was announced, ok a remake wasn't exactly what I had in mind but still! Starfox! 3D!

I'm happy. :)

Nice, I never had Lylat Wars on the N64, so I can't wait to get hold of this. Now where's my F-Zero..?

Gaah!

I want a job just so I'll be able to rebuy all my N64 games on the 3DS!

Looks amazing... God I hope this 3D shit really works. Everything sounds positive, but not too happy about the supposed small sweet spot...

Wish it was coming out this year though.

Can't f-ing wait. Lylat Wars was one of my favourite games on the N64 :)

GameXplian - Hands-On

We don’t know much about Star Fox 3DS yet, but luckily they had a short demo of it on the show floor allowing us a quick glimpse of this title.

In short, this game is a remake of Star Fox 64, with that game’s first level being on display. Like before, it begins with you flying over an ocean as you approach the mainland. Right away, we were stunned by the graphical improvements--the water now refracts light and looks fantastic as it glistens in the sunlight. Of course, 3D was in full-play, but didn’t become apparent until we reached the mainland, where the passing buildings clearly appeared to get closer, just as they would in real life. The added depth really makes playing this game feel like an entirely new experience and actually does help in avoiding obstacles, since you can better gauge where they are in relation to your ship.

starfox2.jpg

In fact, the game looks so brilliant, we might have been fooled into thinking it was a brand new Star Fox game, if it weren’t for the identical enemy-placement. Battling them ensured we had to get used to the controls quick. As expected, the control stick handles flight-movement while the face-buttons control weapon-usage, and the shoulder buttons utilized for tilts/rolls. However, tricks such as the somersault, which used to be performed with a press of the Boost button in conjunction with a direction on the analog stick, have been delegated to a direction on the control-pad. This, in effect, makes them easier to pull off (since timing the movement is no longer an issue), but is also a bit cumbersome as you have to take your thumb the analog pad first in order to reach the control-pad. Not a big deal, but certainly something to note. One welcomed addition was the ability to invert the controls on the fly with a quick left-press on the d-pad--a feature that may not make it into the final game, but one that’s handy for short demos.

Star Fox 3DS whet our appetite for more. The 3D addition really does enhance the experience and we can’t wait to fight our way through the Lylat system, once again.

Lylat Wars was my favourite game, so I'm VERY excited about this!!

It looks so amazing. I do hope they change the game a bit though. Like a few more enemies in Sector Z would be nice.

I can't wait to hear the new soundtrack too! Some of the tunes will sound amazing. After hearing some of the revamps they put in Brawl, I expect them to be really good.

I seriosly doubt they'll end up remaking starfox 64.. It's not confirmed yet properly right?

I seriosly doubt they'll end up remaking starfox 64.. It's not confirmed yet properly right?

It was the only playable 3DS game at E3 and hands-on have noticed the changes to the game.

20091104-smash_vc_starfox.jpg

starfox2010-06-03-4.jpg

Edited by Retro_Link

From what I gather, Nintendogs, Steel Diver, Pilotwings and Starfox were all playable.

It was the only playable 3DS game at E3 and hands-on have noticed the changes to the game.

20091104-smash_vc_starfox.jpg

starfox2010-06-03-4.jpg

Ya it looks a lot better but it'll be a completely new starfox by the time it's done. I imagine the graphics will look better than this again. This does use some impressive antialiasing effects though.

Edited by Retro_Link

I do wish they'd do something other than update the original 64 title. It's a great game don't get me wrong but it's kinda sucks for all of us who got it 13 years ago as, regardless of the 3D etc. we've played it before. One only hopes that they make a super expert mode or something.

Also, an improved multiplayer mode would be nice :) Maybe throw in a few more levels with more varied environments.

Wireless multiplayer is surely on the cards, just a graphical makeover seems quite pointless.

Wow wow wow! I am so excited for this. Lylat Wars was my favourite game on the N64 (after Ocarina of Time of course :p)

This makes me wonder if the 3DS (or the game card) will have rumble of some kind. This game didn't quite feel the same on the VC without it.

This makes me wonder if the 3DS (or the game card) will have rumble of some kind. This game didn't quite feel the same on the VC without it.

Does rumble work on handhelds though? I never tried it with the ds but wouldn't be ... you know easier to drop it if you're hands are shaking?

Does rumble work on handhelds though? I never tried it with the ds but wouldn't be ... you know easier to drop it if you're hands are shaking?

Unless they go with the Wii Remote's more subtle rumble.

Good point. Would the 3DS rumbling and shaking slightly in your hand make it difficult to view the screen? We shall see. Wonder if they would incorporate the gyro for some tilt controls. I played Lylat Wars at a friends on the VC and it didn't feel right because of the classic controller as well as the lack of rumble. It was a game that fitted perfectly with the N64 controller, I hope it translates well to the 3DS.

Even having something like a mobile phone 'vibrate' would be better than nothing. It can work really well in some iPhone games.

The D pad is used for somersaults etc which seems like a good idea. I'd like this incorporated alongside the traditional direction on the analogue and button press which was in the original outing.

I also wonder if the first person view will return. Can't wait to see the under water and tank levels return though. It will look awesome (as well as the lava level where you had to fly high and the second asteroid level will be amazing in 3D).

Hyped.

Can't wait to see the under water

Hopefully they make the controls better and the speed a little faster. I hated that level.