NEurope
Ashley

Starfox 64 3D

Starfox 64 is a classic, always has been and always will be, nothing will change that.

I actually said 'Oh wow' at Zoness. It looks amazing :o it's only my second play-through so I hadn't seen it yet!

I wish the 3DS was more comfortable to hold :( getting thumb-ache.

I finally got around playing this yesterday and after around 2 hours it was over. I remember it being alot longer than that, I didn't even die once. I was pretty annoyed seeing as i've paid full price for the thing. I know that you can go through different routes get medals etc but at this point I dont really care. To the trade in pile it goes methinks...

I'm actually amazed it took you around 2 hours to make it through to the end, @Hero\-of\-Time.. it generally takes around half that :eek:

If you're looking to trade in, CeX seem to be offering £26 in cash for it so you'd likely recoup most of your expenditure.. but that would probably be a shame :heh: I still play it on N64 to this day..

I'm actually amazed it took you around 2 hours to make it through to the end, @Hero\-of\-Time.. it generally takes around half that :eek:

I kept pausing it as I was watching Match of the day. :D

..and there's your other mistake :nono: You should never split your focus between Starfox 64 and Match of the Day as both require your undivided attention :heh:

I actually hope the game grows on you more as I always found it a joy to blast through it every so often. I reckon that the inclusion of level select would even improve the replayability for me as I'd be more concerned about going for the medals.. but then that may hinder the desire to play it the whole way through in one sitting..

I'm gonna stick with the N64 version for the forseeable future, though a price drop somewhere down the line will likely sway me to invest in the remake :smile:

There are medals for all levels when you play through the story and for each level in the level select.

Anyways:

starfox3dmini.jpg

Nice review Cube :)

Only got one more medal to go on Sector Z and then I'll have unlocked Expert :)

INCOMING RANT!!!

So I had another crack at this yesterday and i'm still not feeling it. I checked my stats on the 3DS and it turns out i've only played this 1 hour 22 minutes! Now I know that this is the kind of game where you take different routes and try to get a better score but if you just play for the story then it's a rip off.

Charging £35 for a game which can be beaten in an hour or so is daylight robbery. Sure it's a remake but look at some of the HD collections that are out or coming out. Most of them contain 2 or more games, cost £30 and last a hell of alot longer than this does. Yeah, there has been more spit and polish put on this title than the HD ports, but it still burns.

I could buy a 10 hour+ game on PSN/XBLA for a tenner! This is why Iwata is afraid on the download games scene. It's not the quality of the games he's worried about, it's the fact download games are offering better bang for your buck than Nintendo's retail titles.

I could buy a 10 hour+ game on PSN/XBLA for a tenner! This is why Iwata is afraid on the download games scene. It's not the quality of the games he's worried about, it's the fact download games are offering better bang for your buck than Nintendo's retail titles.

So the solution would be to either make the next Starfox title downloadable - no chance - or for Nintendo to drop the price of all 3DS titles by £10... nope I can't see that happening either sadly. :p

For what it's worth I do partially agree with you H-o-T but I still think Starfox 64 does offer value for money in its near endless potential for replays, firstly you have approximately 21(?) stages of which you can only play around 7 per run so you'd need to play the game at least 3 times over to unlock all planets... then there's getting the 'proper' ending with the real boss which can take longer, add to that getting the medals in both modes - though there seem to be only slight differences here - and it could take you a fair while.

Yes just for the story it does seem a tad 'steep' but is that really why any of us buy Starfox? No... we buy it so that we can 'Do a barrel-roll!' once again for that is one of the most priceless moments in gaming. :D

Having said that though I recently dropped 1200 MS points on the fantastic Radiant Silvergun - an XBLA game - which is a classic vertically-scrolling shooter by Treasure which I've already invested many hours in just trying to complete once... though considering an actual retail Saturn copy of it would set you back £100, for anyone with an Xbox it's an absolute steal and a must have if you're a fan of the genre.

They are different games yes and it's maybe slightly unfair to compare Starfox 64 to Radiant Silvergun but there are decent offerings out there for significantly less, though having an N64 classic available to play in portable form is somewhat priceless and I would say the same if Treasure were to release any of their fantastic titles on the 3DS. :grin:

Having said that though I recently dropped 1200 MS points on the fantastic Radiant Silvergun - an XBLA game - which is a classic vertically-scrolling shooter by Treasure which I've already invested many hours in just trying to complete once... though considering an actual retail Saturn copy of it would set you back £100, for anyone with an Xbox it's an absolute steal and a must have if you're a fan of the genre.

They are different games yes and it's maybe slightly unfair to compare Starfox 64 to Radiant Silvergun but there are decent offerings out there for significantly less, though having an N64 classic available to play in portable form is somewhat priceless and I would say the same if Treasure were to release any of their fantastic titles on the 3DS. :grin:

It's funny you should mention Radiant Silvergun because after I finished Starfox I thought about that and this and then compared them both. :D

I still don't understand the complaint about it being short, it's like short bursts of fun, and heck. One of my favorite games YsI and Dragon Quest I are incredibly short, but they are all incredibly fun and I know I can play them over and over again knowing that the game will end quite quickly.

But eh, either way, still wondering if I want to get this game, so many other games about to come out soon, I feel like I should wait and get through the onslaught of games first then pick up starfox

Just bought this - whoops! 'spensive but fun game for tube play.

I was impressed with the graphics and fluid everything is ^_^ going to start having to take my 3DS with me on my commute to uni again!

Kinda sad that there's no STREETPASS/wifi multiplayer though.

It's funny you should mention Radiant Silvergun..

I knew there was a reason I was meant to keep my XBOX 360 tiny?v=mpbl-1&px=48

I still don't understand the complaint about it being short..

I can certainly understand it because not everyone plays games in the same way or gets the same things out of the experience..

There were a lot of complaints about the length of Pilotwings Resort with many places stating it would be over in 2-3 hours. For some people, this will be true, unfortunately. For me, however, it lasted me just over 29 hours according to the Activity Log on my 3DS :hehe:

In that game, I perfected everything that was on offer and got every last drop of enjoyment out of it.. and there seems no reason why I can't have yet more fun with it some time in the future! I imagine Starfox 64 3D would offer me the same amount of joy, if not more, due to the obtainable medals and multiple paths.. and that's even after I've played it to death on the N64 (and it's not even dead :heh:)

For some people, playing it through from start to finish a couple of times will be enough for them, though, and, in that case, the price probably isn't worth it right now :hmm:

You have to wonder when the last time @Hero\-of\-Time played Lylat Wars was. :heh: To somehow expect Starfox 64 3D to be a lengthy affair... many moons must have passed to cloud your memory.

Just read the interview about the lack of online for this. Not impressed really as I get the impression that there just aren't enough people experienced with online at Nintendo. And those that are interested in online are scared to prototype and explore. That's purely speculative but hey, it's my gut feeling.

They've screwed up the timing with the victory fanfare and the MISSION ACCOMPLISHED text. It's now totally rubbish and badly timed. Oh well.

Also when you beat Andross via the easy route, why doesn't he appear at the end of the credits in the sky laughing, teasing you go the difficult route?

Edited by Ronnie

Also when you beat Andross via the easy route, why doesn't he appear at the end of the credits in the sky laughing, teasing you go the difficult route?

You get an image of him laughing don't you?

[Hasn't been long since he's completed this many times and already forgotten]

He does appear laughing at you, but it's after the extended credits with the piano improv on the main theme.

He does appear laughing at you, but it's after the extended credits with the piano improv on the main theme.

Yeah spotted that afterwards. Rubbish.

On a relatively unrelated note, does anyone else think the music in the last 30 seconds of the closing credits (the sunset part), is very similar to the last 30 seconds of Ocarina of Time (Link walking away, camera zooming on Master Sword)?

Yes! I noticed that back in the N64 days. Exactly the same chords over a sustained bass with the timpani underneath. I always liked that though :)

The redo of the soundtrack in this is a mixed bag for me. The updated synth produces a more varied palette, perhaps more like an orchestra, but there are times when the horn and string lines seem far too weak. Corneria sounds much better, but some of the flourishes in Star Wolf's theme are strangely muffled and lethargic. In some ways it's made me think the retro approach of Ocarina of Time was a blessing in disguise. Still, most of us have played the original to death I'm sure and change-for-change's-sake is still a good thing imo.

Corneria

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Star Wolf

Broadcast Yourself
Audio
Edited by Lens of Truth

I want this but I just cant go over the line and buy it. somethings stopping me, maybe its the price.

Having epic amounts of multi-routed fun in this game. :grin: but when it comes to score attack mode I suck Fox McClouds sweaty sweaty gonads.

How do I get more hits in say, Corneria? I've got enough for a Bronze Medal but can't get into the next bracket. Any tips? :)

Are you going for the Hit + ? And going between as many pillars as possible as that brings out more arranged enemies for more hit points :)

I've not actually done score attack yet. What's the range of points for bronze/silver/gold?