NEurope
Retro_Link

Mario Kart 7

I have to agree with the guy in some aspects that the Mario Kart series have become stagnant. My problem with the review though is the fact that he argues about how it's all the same old and that makes it bad, whilst the same reviewer (Jim Sterling) praises Modern Warfare 3 for sticking to the same old in his review of that, handing it a 9.5

I actually think that the review is total crap.

Whilst he makes a point that the game is very similar to the tried and tested method that has been used in all the previous games, it is irrelevant.

What exactly can they change in a Kart racing game based in the Mario universe? ::shrug:

And why would they when people love the series as it is?

If someone asked me what I would like to see in a new Mario Kart game, it would be:

New characters... check

New courses... check

A selection of 'classic' courses... check

Improved graphics from the last instalment... check

Good online functionality... (looks like a check)

Some customisation... check

New items... check

Blue shell now attacks all characters not just racer in first... check

I don't want anything more. If the gameplay remains the same, which it looks to have then this can't be anything other than a success. To slap a 5 on it for not changing a game that doesn't need changing is poor reviewing.

At least give an idea as to what needs changing.

I don't think you could ever give the game a 5 unless it was seriously broken in places or played poorly. And that isn't the case.

:mad:

In other news - the IGN review is in:

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/121/1213485p1.html

And a very good review it is.

Problem is, with reviewers, is that you shouldn't review a game as the most recent in a chain.

You need to include aspects for both those who are familiar with it, and played older versions, and those who are new to the games

For the latter, the Destructoid review is just plain awful. New players don't give a crap if the game is "more of the same" from the last version.

I think you're taking opinions far too seriously. He is a reviewer, he has a right to judge a game how he personally feels about it, despite the contradiction I noted in my post.

Mario Kart has suffered from something for a while that is now becoming a very big nuisance, artificial difficulty. It seems that the developers acknowledge the fact that keeping the AI as it is means we would all win all the time against NPC characters, so they put bullshit item rates for NPC's on final laps rather than actually changing the AI so it's actually challenging rather than luck based.

Then they seem to have removed possibly one of my favourite features back in Mario Kart DS, mission mode. That shit was hella fun, looks like this 'Retro Studio Emergency' didn't come fast enough as we're missing some great modes. I'm going to miss balloon battles too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely expecting some fun from the game regardless. But just because you're personally happy with the package being offered in MK7, it doesn't mean you can go and say that the review is 'total crap'. It makes you come across as one of those asspained kids in the article comment boxes that slam a negative review but a positive review is somehow a 'very good review'. Both IGN's and Destructoid's reviews were descriptive and to the point, backing up their pro's and cons.

I think you're taking opinions far too seriously. He is a reviewer, he has a right to judge a game how he personally feels about it, despite the contradiction I noted in my post.

Mario Kart has suffered from something for a while that is now becoming a very big nuisance, artificial difficulty. It seems that the developers acknowledge the fact that keeping the AI as it is means we would all win all the time against NPC characters, so they put bullshit item rates for NPC's on final laps rather than actually changing the AI so it's actually challenging rather than luck based.

Then they seem to have removed possibly one of my favourite features back in Mario Kart DS, mission mode. That shit was hella fun, looks like this 'Retro Studio Emergency' didn't come fast enough as we're missing some great modes. I'm going to miss balloon battles too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely expecting some fun from the game regardless. But just because you're personally happy with the package being offered in MK7, it doesn't mean you can go and say that the review is 'total crap'. It makes you come across as one of those asspained kids in the article comment boxes that slam a negative review but a positive review is somehow a 'very good review'. Both IGN's and Destructoid's reviews were descriptive and to the point, backing up their pro's and cons.

Like i said - even though I haven't played this game yet, I can guarantee you (and you will agree) that it does not deserve a 5.

Regardless of what he points to in his review, it is not a mediocre game as the score suggests that it is.

Fair enough if he had rated it a 7.5 or an 8.0.

That would have backed up his comments. But a 5 doesn't so therefore it is total crap.

And as a reviewer, he should know how to appropriately score a game - which is something he clearly cannot do.

I can't tell if you're being serious or a very bad troll..

Numbers mean fuck all. The only people that care about numbered reviews these days are mainly fanboys looking to either strengthen their e-peen by comparing it to competitors or to bitch about when it doesn't meet your personal standard.

Like you've said, you haven't played it. I haven't played it either. 5 isn't bad. It just means the reviewer doesn't see anything largely wrong with it, but can't see any thing to set itself aside from previous outings or other games.

Numbered reviews are all incredibly flawed any way, positive or not. What it deserves will differ from person to person, so in his experience it deserves 5 and so it is scored 5. There's nothing wrong with him scoring it that. It's funny that you call out the Destruction review for being scored wrong when pretty much 90% of IGN reviews can't do simple averages. Technically, Mario Kart 7 should be 8.8 (pretty gr8), not a big difference but you were the one calling out the other review for being scored 'wrong'.

Fans getting all uptight about review scores are just absolutely hilarious to me. You're going to buy the game, good review or not so why even bother reading them? It's even more funny when there's an obvious correlation to those considering 'terribly writen reviews' being the lowest scoring and the 'best written reviews' are the ones with the highest scoring.

Melody Motorway (aka Wii Music track) = Wow! :o:yay::bouncy:

From 4:22 on this vid:

That is just superb! Looks very likely to be my favourite new track on MK 7. :smile:

Oh man, the final wait to get my hands on this game is killing me!

That is just superb! Looks very likely to be my favourite new track on MK 7. :smile:

Oh man, the final wait to get my hands on this game is killing me!

FFFFF All those colours! It looks fucking beautiful! I really hope mine arrives tomorrow, I can't wait!

Well, encouraged by the reviews and this thread in general, I went ahead and made my pre order with Amazon. N Europe is bad for my wallet I swear :heh: Still, Mario Kart is a pretty timeless thing and price of it seems unlikely to ever go down. I have a job as well, so why not? I'll just have to make sure I'm careful with money for the next few weeks and try to get more shifts at work.

The game looks does look very good though, I'm pretty excited. Looks like it could well be the best one yet.

Don't remember writing anything about how the actual destructoid review was written.

Clearly we differ in opinions when looking at how games are reviewed. Scores mean something to me and they obviously don't to you. Not saying either of us are right or wrong, but I look at a review score and for the majority of reviews, the reviewer awards the score fairly on their content.

You don't think 5 means a bad game. I do. Again, it's personal preference. Any game site or magazine I go on that scores games out of 10 or 100 (same thing really) that reviews a game at a 5/50 will class the experience as not particularly worthy of purchase.

This is my only gripe with the review. In terms of how the review is written and the content of it - it's fine. Like you said, it is one persons opinion who's job it is to review the game. I was just pretty surprised that he slapped the 5 on it as it doesn't match up to the content of his review. In my opinion.

Like you have said, I will buy the game regardless so it doesn't really matter what people or reviewers say. I still like to gauge an opinion in the run up to a release I am hyped about though and the best way to do that is to read reviews. And that one did surprise me. Hence my comments.

Sorry if you thought I was trolling - not the intention.

I also hear snaking is impossible to pull off like you used to be able to in DS? If so, I imagine my friends are having massive sighs of relief right now.

Brilliant! I love it when he drives over the piano keys. :D

Ah, heavenly karts, al lined up on storeshelves...

It is me, or are Nintendo-games prone to broken street dates? Most games are available, one or two days before official release, but first Zelda OoT a full 4 to five days early, then SM3DL, Skyward Sword and now MK7?

Not that I'm complaining! I'm off now, doing you know what. ;)

That's playing MK7, you filthy, dirty mind.

Yeah I saw on my 3DS you were playing mario kart! Jealous :) So, spill the beans, what do you think?

@Mike thats really early, i mean wow! how does the game feel in motion? i think i heard before that the game runs at 60fps. also you said the graphics are great, but the music not so much. do you mean that the music is ok? how would it compare to the other MK's and does it go well with the tracks? sorry for all the q's.

I just haven't found the music as hummable as in the other games - there doesn't seem to be an obvious melody to many of the tracks.

I've now done all eight cups in 50cc and have started working my way through 100cc.. Looking forward to some online races with everyone soon!

Right! Forums are back up, I have the game and the only other person I know to have received it is Rez but I imagine a few more of us received it and those that didn't have only a few more hours to wait.

So, community creation. We're allowed to join a maximum of 8 communities each. According to the e-manual, once a community has been created the settings specified cannot be changed.

I've created a basic N-Europe community for now. I'll list the rules you can specify in creation so we can get some form of consensus going and then some one can make a new group. Obviously we don't have to be bound by one community but it'd be nice to have rules we all agree on.

Modes available:

50cc race

100cc race

150cc race

Mirror race

Balloon Battle

Coin Battle

Items available:

All

Shells

Bananas

Mushrooms

Bob-ombs

None

I've set the community to 150cc with all items enabled. The code to register is 59-8718-4411-3222. There's supposedly no limit to the amount of people who can join so if all the rules are cool, join and invite!

Also, having a lot of fun. But cursing a lot at the bullshit NPC AI as per usual =P

I've joined the community - hope to see a lot of you on tonight! I saw that RedShell was playing this yesterday evening, but didn't manage to catch him online.

I should be able to pick this up very soon, if not today. Hope to see you all around.

It's funny how quickly the release arrived what with Mario and Zelda making the time fly :D

This game is awesome.

Popped on for a quick match with WelshGamer and RedShellz, and it was awesome - when you're joining your friends and they're in a match, you can spectate.

I love it. I hate hate hate having to go to work when all I want to do is play this.

Popped on for a quick match with WelshGamer and RedShellz, and it was awesome.

This is NOT what I wanted to hear. I saw you three - and a handful more- but keep getting the same error as I do with Mercenaries. Having tried WiFi AND a couple of mobile hotspot, I am inclined to think it is not routers of connections but a shoddy 3DS. I'll be trying out and about later but suspect i will see no improvement.

Error Code 006-0612 for the record.

Edited by david.dakota

This is NOT what I wanted to hear. I saw you three - and a handful more- but keep getting the same error as I do with Mercenaries. Having tried WiFi AND a couple of mobile hotspot, I am inclined to think it is not routers of connections but a shoddy 3DS. I'll be trying out and about later but suspect i will see no improvement.

I'm using the Nintendo dongle and my internet connection has always been iffy, sometimes if will connect other times it won't.

Edge gave it a 9

http://www.next-gen.biz/reviews/mario-kart-7-review