N-Europe

Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Retro_Link

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first I didn't like it, because Miyamoto seems to want it in every Mario game these days, but it's not all that bad.

The only difference from the previous games is that you can now use the classic map instead of hopping into a pipe or walking to the end of a screen to get to the next area.

I'm all for it as long as it doesn't affect how the game is built up. If it's just a shortcut, fine. If it means the areas aren't linked up properly, then that's bad.

I'm thinking a bit like you Grazza, if it becomes a shortcut once you've fully explored an area or so then it hopefully won't be too bad. Part of me did think it's kind of nice to see it again though. I'm really hoping it means the game's actually quite large and thus it needs the map, so it could be promising! Did Seven Stars have an overworld map? I feel like it sort of had one, but it's been so long since I played I really can't remember.

Complete outrage. I'm preordering the game and cancelling it straight away to show my disgust.

Lol. I just wondered if some folks might dislike it! Having just run through BIS, it was...hmm, well, they made transport not too bad but also not too easy. I'm not sure it'll be for this if it's really easy traversing.

I'm thinking a bit like you Grazza, if it becomes a shortcut once you've fully explored an area or so then it hopefully won't be too bad. Part of me did think it's kind of nice to see it again though. I'm really hoping it means the game's actually quite large and thus it needs the map, so it could be promising!

Yeah, it was definitely a valid question. I'm not saying it'll be a bad game for it (in fact, I think it looks very good indeed), but it's a legitimate issue. I mean, "level selects" are something Nintendo is introducing into most of its games in some capacity - Paper Mario, Mario Galaxy 2. You could even say it affected Skyward Sword.

There's no doubt in my mind that they help make games more accessible, but on the other hand RPGs are about exploring, so you've got to have that, ideally in a fully-linked world.

I was daydreaming the other day... What if Nintendo made "New Legend of Zelda" or "New Metroid" in order to replicate the success of New Super Mario Bros? With Zelda, you could have as solid overworlds as usual but, once you'd gained access to a dungeon, it could appear on a level select screen. In other words, it'd be as free as usual, but you'd be able to start from any area of the map you'd actually found. Of course, this is not that much different from a warp (which they seem to be eliminating, ironically!)

Anyway, as I say, it was just a daydream.

Did Seven Stars have an overworld map? I feel like it sort of had one, but it's been so long since I played I really can't remember.

I believe so, yes. I've got it on the Virtual Console so I'm tempted to fire up my Wii and make sure, although it seems like a lot of effort. Is it bad that turning on a console seems such a chore to me? :heh:

It does though, I'm remembering it clearly now. Not that I like the game much, to be honest.

Soo it's like Partners in Time, Super Paper Mario and Super Mario RPG? What's the big deal here? None of the Mario RPGs (aside from M&L Superstar Saga) have had a truly interconnected overworld (The two Paper Mario titles had "levels" that were accessible via a central hub and Bowser's Inside Story had different areas slapped together)

As long as it has the signature kick arse gameplay, awesome characters, fantastic music and writing, that's all that matters :)

Edited by Dcubed

Tbf, I guess most of the games have/need a hub of some sort given their scale. I don't mind an overworld, depending how the game is designed and it all feeds in, but I think it's a bit more fun when you've got pipe hubs. Especially like in TTYD(i think it is?) where there's pipes etc underground that you can see early on but not get to, sort of metroid style.

Tbf, I guess most of the games have/need a hub of some sort given their scale. I don't mind an overworld, depending how the game is designed and it all feeds in, but I think it's a bit more fun when you've got pipe hubs. Especially like in TTYD(i think it is?) where there's pipes etc underground that you can see early on but not get to, sort of metroid style.

True, but we don't know exactly what the final overworked map will be like. They could have visable events happen on there that hint at levels to come later on (or even level hints that turn out to be false as levels get swapped out for different ones in front of your eyes - that would be cool!)

Bitland and the Whoa Zone were both fantastic! I hope Sticker Star has some areas that are more 'out-there'.

Short of this team having a collective lobotomy this will have great writing (we know the same guy is handling the localisation too), catchy music and charm to spare. It's a little early for the thread to go into auto-moan! ;)

Higher Quality Box art.

i_34993.png

I don't think it looks that messy, but there's a lot going on.

To me it looks pretty messy, kinda like someone went 'oh wow yeah the theme is stickers and shit so lets just stick them everywhere that is definitely our point just like the game'

Logo.

i_34990.png

This looks much better.

True, but we don't know exactly what the final overworked map will be like. They could have visable events happen on there that hint at levels to come later on (or even level hints that turn out to be false as levels get swapped out for different ones in front of your eyes - that would be cool!)

That certainly would be quite cool and exactly the sort of quirks I'd expect from the Mario RPG series. This game is so big on my list atm, it's like all I can think about. I don't know why it's appealing so much, but I think it's the idea of the whole...more exploratory/questy nature with the stickers than grinding up.

Edited by Rummy

• 2 weeks later...

Story info:

- story begins on the night of the Sticker Fest

- this is where the citizens come to witness the Sticker Comet fly by

- the Sticker Comet will actually make wishes come true

- Bowser decides to jump for the Sticker Comet to take it as his own

- in the process, Bowser breaks the Sticker Comet into pieces

- the pieces become scattered about the Mushroom Kingdom

- at the same time, a crown happens to fall on Bowser’s head

- this makes him more powerful

- he then decides to kidnap Princess Peach

The way that bullet point was delivered just cracked me up :laughing:

In the new ONM mag it said this game well be comeing out in 2013

Why am I not surprised? This year's been absolutely dreadful for first party 3DS games. I can't believe that at the beginning of the year, I was expecting at least two out of Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing would be out by the summer.

Why am I not surprised? This year's been absolutely dreadful for first party 3DS games. I can't believe that at the beginning of the year, I was expecting at least two out of Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing would be out by the summer.

Yeah I was expecting Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion would come out this year but its not good if they come out the same time as Wii U

Nintendo has really fluffed the 2nd year of the 3DS! Now I don't suppose we we will see any unknown 3DS games until Christmas 2013, and that's if Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario aren't delayed until then!

I can't understand why they didn't use the eShop to make up for the deficit. They could have put Oracle of Ages/Seasons on there, as well as the SNES, the GBA, some more 3D Classics... Or localise some of the fantastic-looking Japanese games. I'm not bored with the 3DS - far from it - I just wonder where they're going with it.

Let's hope we see Zelda and some other good titles at GDC!

Nintendo has really fluffed the 2nd year of the 3DS! Now I don't suppose we we will see any unknown 3DS games until Christmas 2013, and that's if Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario aren't delayed until then!

I can't understand why they didn't use the eShop to make up for the deficit. They could have put Oracle of Ages/Seasons on there, as well as the SNES, the GBA, some more 3D Classics... Or localise some of the fantastic-looking Japanese games. I'm not bored with the 3DS - far from it - I just wonder where they're going with it.

Let's hope we see Zelda and some other good titles at GDC!

Yeah I want Zelda MM for 3DS or a new Zelda game for 3DS