NEurope
Retro_Link

Kid Icarus Uprising

I was playing around with the control customisation last night - you have a huge number of options when it comes to controls, and you can change things down to axis inversion and speed of reticule. You can also choose what you use to control Pit and the reticule (touch screen, circle pad, d pad or face buttons), although as the game is built around fast-paced stylus use, I found that using the face buttons to control the reticule didn't really work. Saying that, though, I'm not used to dual analogue controls, as I'm not an FPS fan, so I'm sure some people will get on well with that control option. You can even have different controls for land and sky, should you want to. Unfortunately, though, whatever option I've chosen so far, none of them are paricularlly intuitive, and they're all pretty uncomfortable to some extent and are quick to give me hand cramps.

Unfortunately, though, whatever option I've chosen so far, none of them are paricularlly intuitive, and they're all pretty uncomfortable to some extent and are quick to give me hand cramps.

This is what's putting me off the game. It can look as pretty as it wants, but if the controls are tripe and give you cramps, then what's the point?

The game still does not gel with me regardless of these positive reviews, I look at them and think 'na, they're BS, they have to be'. As much as I wish to lay down £30 for a new Icarus game, I feel even if I really enjoy the game I'll end up hating it and Sakurai even more.

This is what's putting me off the game. It can look as pretty as it wants, but if the controls are tripe and give you cramps, then what's the point?

Because, as well as being pretty, it's got great replay value, awesome music, funny dialogue and a load of modes, options and collectables. If this had been on Wii, with pointer controls, it would have been all I could have asked for in an on-rails shooter.

Because, as well as being pretty, it's got great replay value, awesome music, funny dialogue and a load of modes, options and collectables. If this had been on Wii, with pointer controls, it would have been all I could have asked for in an on-rails shooter.

Again pointless if the controls are pants. I mean it may have replay value and unlockables but why play it again if the controls are uncomfortable?

Don't get me wrong, i'll probably be there day 1 to try it for myself, its just annoying that the franchise gets this great makeover only to have shoddy controls implemented.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

2 months ago I didn't care for this but now my hype level is through the roof.

I'm left handed but I've been playing games/apps using the stylus in my right hand to get used to it so I don't have to use the CPP. I think I'm ready.

First "anime" episode went up yesterday, looks nice but not much happened in the actual episode.

Considering this is a Sakurai game, I'm actually quite surprised about how few options there are for multiplayer. Although I've only played against bots so far, all you can do is choose your weapon and which of the two modes you want to play. No changing the match length, rules, what your character looks like, music, or even the stage you play on - that's all decided for you. The framerate really drops too. Maybe I'm just complaining because I'm so terrible at the mode, though. :p

It will be fun once N-E members go against each other 3 vs 3! I hope the framerate doesn't get too bad during online matches :/

It will be fun once N-E members go against each other 3 vs 3! I hope the framerate doesn't get too bad during online matches :/

This will be so excting, Kid Icarus Clans. Anybody calling themselves God Squad shall be shot!

Has anybody heard about the hundreds of AR cards that are available and how we could possibly get hold of them? I'm sure i've seen something about Club Nintendo having them for free in the US but nothing here as far as im aware.

I'm feeling a bit of a 'Gotta Catch Em All' itch.

Has anybody heard about the hundreds of AR cards that are available and how we could possibly get hold of them? I'm sure i've seen something about Club Nintendo having them for free in the US but nothing here as far as im aware.

They are going to be sold on Club Nintendo for 250 stars per pack.

Edit: apparently you get 2 packs.

Edited by Ike

They are going to be sold on Club Nintendo for 250 stars per pack.

Edit: apparently you get 2 packs.

Two packs for 250 stars doesnt sound too bad. Will they be sold in shops aswell? And possibly you can get special ones given away in events.

Also, do you have a link to this news?

Also, do you have a link to this news?

Here you go.

You get a pack with the next issue of ONM as well as someone pointed out earlier.

I really hope there's a demo of this. I have wanted it in the back of my mind for a while now, but still not sold. In fact the more i have learnt, the less i want it. Hundreds of weapons with different stats? That's just annoyingly confusingm, and i dont care for collecting crap like RPGs. Hand-cramping controls? That's just impractical. Mario Kart 7 already gives me the claw! And major difficulty guage - that's just gonna depress me as i don't like not being able to complete a game, and by the looks and sounds of it, most people wont be able to handle it any higher than 6 or 7. I'm not sure i'd want to either.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Considering this is a Sakurai game, I'm actually quite surprised about how few options there are for multiplayer. Although I've only played against bots so far, all you can do is choose your weapon and which of the two modes you want to play. No changing the match length, rules, what your character looks like, music, or even the stage you play on - that's all decided for you. The framerate really drops too. Maybe I'm just complaining because I'm so terrible at the mode, though. :p

Turns out that this is just in 'With Anyone' mode - there are lots more options when you choose to play with friends.

Edited by Mike

So is there the option for CPP Dual Analogue controls amongst all the options @Mike?

Can't believe I'm being won round to this game! Like others I'm still not convinced and would like a demo, but a purchase is definately looking a bit more likely.

So is there the option for CPP Dual Analogue controls amongst all the options @Mike?

Can't see it anywhere in the controls option, but could it be that it only appears if you have a CPP plugged in? As I don't have one, I can't test it out!

So anyway, I'm about six hours into the solo campaign now, with no idea how long there is left. The way the story's going, there's no end in sight yet!

The face button controls are no doubt put there for the same reason as the d-pad controls were in Meteos. Just to show off how unplayable they are in comparison to the stylus controls.

So is there the option for CPP Dual Analogue controls amongst all the options

No, the CPP is only used to enable left handed controls (right circle pad controls movement)

No, the CPP is only used to enable left handed controls (right circle pad controls movement)

That's a shame as surely this game would be perfectly suited to dual analogue controls? ::shrug:

Still buying it regardless.

Does anyone know which retailer, if any, will be dishing out the preorder cards? Both Amazon and Shopto don't seem to mention them. ::shrug:

I have to say, Nintendo are doing quite a good job of hiding information about the single player mode, believe it or not. Although they've given away loads about the first eight or so chapters, there seems to be quite a lot after that, and there are some major characters introduced that haven't been revealed by Nintendo yet. Definitely some more contenders for Smash Bros, too!

Where are the cards from the stars catalogue? Guess they've sole out :(

There not been sold out Nintendo Europe haven't put them up yet