NEurope
Retro_Link

Donkey Kong Country Returns

I was going to post something really constructive on this but Tapedeck has pretty much summed it up there.

I haven't played DKCR since the day i got it as I haven't really felt like it. Something just doesn't seem right when i'm playing it and it's a shame as it's a good game. I can't get into the flow of the game either for some reason, too much of an emphasis on collecting things that slow you down and waggle controls.

I mean finding the DK coins in DKC2 was fun but having to duck and shake the wii remote until DK blows a flower to find a single banana or having him hit everything to unlock secret rooms..just doesn't flow.

Also the secret rooms seem less special and the worst thing is that they don't react to you losing anymore it seems. I want diddy stamping on his hat in frustration and DK shaking his head.

I will go back and complete this though, i must.

I can't get into the flow of the game either for some reason, too much of an emphasis on collecting things that slow you down and waggle controls.

I mean finding the DK coins in DKC2 was fun but having to duck and shake the wii remote until DK blows a flower to find a single banana or having him hit everything to unlock secret rooms..just doesn't flow.

Glad to see I'm not the only person who thinks this.

God help some of you people if Skyward Sword is as different as it's said to be.

Two points:

1. DKC Trilogy are very good games.

2. DKCR is a very good game.

God help some of you people if Skyward Sword is as different as it's said to be.

Two points:

1. DKC Trilogy are very good games.

2. DKCR is a very good game.

But that isn't the issue that is being discussed. :p

But that isn't the issue that is being discussed. :p

It's okay, he's just confused because he's up to his neck in muddy water:kiss:

I can't believe anyone doesn't like this! The game is spectacular. Several things that have happened in 2010 prove to me that a large percentage of Nintendo gamers will never be pleased no matter what happens.

Three cases that prove this:

Case One:

Nintendo Gamer: We want stories!

Nintendo: OK, Metroid Other M will be story driven and have some of the best cutscenes ever made

Nintendo Gamer: Fuck you Nintendo, how dare you give Samus a personality that may contradict our fantasies!!!

Case Two

Nintendo Gamer: We want voice chat in our online games and a system like XBOX Live

Treyarch: OK, here's voice chat, a brilliant headset, an online system without Friend Codes which is essentially XBOX Live and possibly the best port of multi-system release that the Wii has ever seen.

Nintendo Gamer: Fuck Black Ops, I'm buying Goldeneye (which has Friend Codes, a lower player count, no voice chat and no co-op)

Case Three

Nintendo Gamer: Nintendo have forgotten about soooo many classics, where is Donkey Kong?

Retro: Here it is, and guess what, we've added some new stuff whilst retaining the charm of the originals and trimming some of the unnecessary characters and fluff around the edges.

Nintendo Gamer: Fuck you Retro, this isn't identical to a 16 year old SNES game!!!

I shudder to think what will transpire here when Skyward Sword is finally released!

I can't believe anyone doesn't like this! The game is spectacular. Several things that have happened in 2010 prove to me that a large percentage of Nintendo gamers will never be pleased no matter what happens.

Three cases that prove this:

Case One:

Nintendo: OK, Metroid Other M will be story driven and have some of the best cutscenes ever made

Nintendo Gamer: Fuck you Nintendo, how dare you give Samus a personality that may contradict our fantasies!!!

Case Two

Nintendo Gamer: We want voice chat in our online games and a system like XBOX Live

Treyarch: OK, here's voice chat, a brilliant headset, an online system without Friend Codes which is essentially XBOX Live and possibly the best port of multi-system release that the Wii has ever seen.

Nintendo Gamer: Fuck Black Ops, I'm buying Goldeneye (which has Friend Codes, a lower player count, no voice chat and no co-op)

Case Three

Nintendo Gamer: Nintendo have forgotten about soooo many classics, where is Donkey Kong?

Retro: Here it is, and guess what, we've added some new stuff whilst retaining the charm of the originals and trimming some of the unnecessary characters and fluff around the edges.

Nintendo Gamer: Fuck you Retro, this isn't identical to a 16 year old SNES game!!!

I shudder to think what will transpire here when Skyward Sword is finally released!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. I love you.

Case Three

Retro: Here it is, and guess what, we've added some new stuff whilst retaining the charm of the originals and trimming some of the unnecessary characters and fluff around the edges.Nintendo Gamer: Fuck you Retro, this isn't identical to a 16 year old SNES game!!!

That's the problem, fans of the original games didn't see the extra Kongs, Kremlings, Animals as fluff. They helped create the magic that was the original trilogy. Retro didn't just trim them they flat out got rid of them and any characters that were left were a shell of their former selves.

No one is saying it's a bad game... well maybe darksnowman, the likes of tapedeck, Rez and myself just prefer the originals, that's all.

As for Zelda, the series has been in a decline for me since Wind Waker so i'm not getting my hopes up. :D

That's the problem, fans of the original games didn't see the extra Kongs, Kremlings as fluff...

I'm a fan of the originals and I saw them as fluff (not the animals mind, but the other Kongs for sure were fluff!).

I get that some prefer the originals but to say that this has "lost it's soul" is not the case at all. The game is as charming as ever!

Bloody hell!! I can't wait to play more of this game. From what I played the game is utterly incredible (mid second world); feels like a great version of DKC to me. I'm sure to the DKC fellators it's not the same, but no version of a 15 year old game is going to be the same; but it's very similar. I love the original games, but after playing through the 1st DKC recently, DKCR is better in pretty much every way and I was obsessed with that back in the day!

I also think the originals were better but that doesn't mean DKCR is a bad game.

However, what I really don't like at all is that you can't switch between the kongs anymore in Sinple Player. I think this was a major part of the DKC series.

I don't want Diddy to just run on DK's back.

Furthermore, I am also not too happy to have to "shake" the Wiimote to do the spin because sometimes though I shake it (quite hard) it isn't recognized and I loose a heart.

I also agree that I don't like that for the puzzle pieces I have to do things like stopping and "blow" at things. Actually, I think the whole "blowing" part is stupid in general.

But as said the game itself is good and it can get even better (maybe up to old standards) with a sequel e.g.

On a side-note:

Regarding Skyward Sword let's see how it turns out.

I am normally for changes but some things should have stay in DKC (like the character switch element).

However, the graphic style seems to go in the direction of "A Link to the Past" again.

It isn't completely "realism" (like TP) but also not completely "cel-shading" (like WW).

Actually, I liked the newer Zelda games too. Persoanlly, I think WW was a great game and could have been the best Zelda for me, IF they had made "finding the triforce" parts more intersting.

Edited by ghost_zero

Interesting comments over the last few pages...

Anyone else feel it would be way better with a 360 controller? Now I think about it, RE4 and SMG1/2 are the only games on the Wii where I didn't want to use a normal controller. The ground pound attack is just so laggy on this.

Personally, just the ability to remap waggle controls to buttons would have sufficed for me. That or Classic Controller support, of course.

That's the problem, fans of the original games didn't see the extra Kongs, Kremlings, Animals as fluff.

I'm an original fan who always loved Donkey Kong Country, the characters they cut out were stuck in the 90's, it's a new era, I don't want shitty kremling designs in my game and redneck Kongs in my game.

They helped create the magic that was the original trilogy. Retro didn't just trim them they flat out got rid of them and any characters that were left were a shell of their former selves.

And instead gave us a charming, stylish and fun game. That easily out-classed the older series...in my opinion :D:heh:

my-body-is-ready.png

Case One:

Anyone who wanted Metroid to have an actual storyline deserves to be disappointed. It's just a shame that those of us who wanted a proper Metroid game had to be dragged down also.

Taking away Engarde and keeping Squawk? Bullshit.

Case One:

Case Two

In fairness case 2 is to be expected. It's far too little too late to see the wii as an on-line console anymore and sadly fans of on-line games have moved elsewhere. If wii had this service day 1 then things would have been different.

and they completely fucked up case 1( the metroid one). I for one would still like a metroid story... but done RIGHT.. I had my doubts though! What pisses me off about nintendo fans is when an experiment doesn't go EXACTLY right for a franchise they all cry "back to basics"...nothing EVER moves forward.

and as for donkey kong country returns... ya people are being idiots there.

Edited by mcj metroid

One question:

I read (regarding time attack) that there is not just gold but actually also something like "Shiny Gold" which is not "shown" in the limits of the level but is supposed to be 1 to 10/20/30 seconds (depending on the level) faster than Gold.

Does that really exist? I mean I think Gold is already quite hard to get :)

One question:

I read (regarding time attack) that there is not just gold but actually also something like "Shiny Gold" which is not "shown" in the limits of the level but is supposed to be 1 to 10/20/30 seconds (depending on the level) faster than Gold.

Does that really exist? I mean I think Gold is already quite hard to get :)

I very much doubt that exists. I've seen speed runs on Youtube of (the first level) for example, and its not possible to go faster than what I've seen, and they just got gold.

I've seen people doing speed runs getting shiny gold, so yes, they do exist!

I think I'll be happy enough getting medals on all the levels without worrying about anything shiny :eek:

I'm currently on 112% so there's still plenty to take care of as it is :smile:

There is also a rumour going around that you can play as Diddy Kong in singleplayer if you get 200 %, is that true too then? Haven't found it on Gamefaqs.

There is also a rumour going around that you can play as Diddy Kong in singleplayer if you get 200 %, is that true too then? Haven't found it on Gamefaqs.

False, you just get a couple more concept arts.

Part of me misses the days of gaming when rumours like this were always appearing in gaming mags - I always got suckered in! Kinda made the games a bit more fun (remember a mate convinced me there was a secret world in DKC you could unlock if you completed the entire snow world without dying. Spent two weeks trying to get that....)