NEurope
Retro_Link

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Btw. have they already explained for what exactly the two hearts are?

I mean: It is quite probably what hearts are for in other games but actually they haven't said anything so far.

Furthermore there is the question if the two hearts are only there in multiplay (could compensate for one player only playing one Kong) or also in singleplay.

:D

Eh BK's jiggies? O-o

Btw. have they already explained for what exactly the two hearts are?

I mean: It is quite probably what hearts are for in other games but actually they haven't said anything so far.

Furthermore there is the question if the two hearts are only there in multiplay (could compensate for one player only playing one Kong) or also in singleplay.

The two hearts are for the life bar, DK gets two and Diddy gets two.

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

Its nice to see Donkey Kong finally return, but also perhaps explains why a few key people left retro studios to create armature. It would be nice if Retro were allowed to create some original IP's instead of always being tasked with reviving older ones.

But I suppose its nice to see DK in a game that isn't just about banging drums to crappy music. Although Jungle Beat was pretty cool.

Its nice to see Donkey Kong finally return, but also perhaps explains why a few key people left retro studios to create armature. It would be nice if Retro were allowed to create some original IP's instead of always being tasked with reviving older ones.

From what I understand (of which there is ostensibly little), Retro weren't so much "tasked" with it, and they had a few experimental projects on the go before Nintendo approached them with DK. I'm actually a fairly sure they were offered DK a little AFTER the three guys left to form Armature.

Maybe I'm wrong, and Retro are secretly Nintendo's bitches, but it's a viewpoint a little too cynical for my liking, especially when the language used from Retro employees genuinely suggests the contrary. The company was founded by a group of Nintendo fanboys essentially, and in the end, who wouldn't jump at the chance of getting to work on one of the most beloved series in Nintendo's history?

Its nice to see Donkey Kong finally return, but also perhaps explains why a few key people left retro studios to create armature.

Just to clarify, those people left Retro before they decided on this project.

Exactly, you'd have to be insane to turn down the opportunity to work on a DKC game, they're just magical!

If they're making it for the fans then they should at least let the 'crocodiles' make a cameo of some sort:)

Yeah, it can't be because Rare own the license because they're in mario strikers on the wii!

The way I see it is DKC without King K Rool is like Mario platforming series without Bowser.

I have to admit, I'm kind of worried they're going to scrap all the classic characters. Whilst I liked Jungle Beat, it was nothing compared to the old games because none of the classic characters were there. It was acceptable in Jungle Beat though, as it could be classed as a different direction for Donkey Kong but in a game called Donkey Kong Country Returns I expect a lot of past references and old faces!

It'd be like New Super Mario Bros without Goomba's and Koopa's! It was acceptable in Sunshine, but not in NSMB.

Hmm true... but I pretty sure that's what they've done!

Though the end boss (from that video interview with the devs) did sound like it could be someone interesting.

The way I see it is DKC without King K Rool is like Mario platforming series without Bowser.

Umm, Tatanga and Wario were in the Gameboy games instead of Bowser.

Personally though, I think it depends on how well the new bad guys work. Who knows, they might be better than the Kremlings!

I would Hardly call the Kremlings "Classic characters" as well to be honest.

Well It sounded to me like it created too much complications having rare characters to bother with the effort anyway.

From what I understand (of which there is ostensibly little), Retro weren't so much "tasked" with it, and they had a few experimental projects on the go before Nintendo approached them with DK. I'm actually a fairly sure they were offered DK a little AFTER the three guys left to form Armature.

Possibly a little after. Everything went down in 08 so could be before, could be after. I'm pretty sure one Retro guy said that they have been working on it for the past two years.

Either way hats off to them. They had to learn a completely different graphical style to what they're used to. In one interview someone stated that one of the graphics engineers made a metroid prime looking palm tree. Which I'd actually like to see.

Still holding out for raven blade to come out one day. Even if it turns out to be crap.

Brilliant..also due to the lack of text..it's 99% sure that Europe will see this by September/October (i hope)! :D

Looks really good. I wonder what the countdown was when DK and Diddy were seperated. Looked chaotic and fun though.

Looks really good. I wonder what the countdown was when DK and Diddy were seperated. Looked chaotic and fun though.

I reckon the countdown was for making it into the barrel to join your partner...whether they would have to go on alone or just drop out again is unknown though. If only he had let the minecart fall off to the left and then jumped out, he might have got 2 pieces of the puzzle! So frustrating watching others play when you can see areas to explore for hidden things, like to the left at the part before where the platforms fall away. :)

DKCR will be on USTV Late Night with Jimmy Fallon this Friday night.

The DKC coverage was poor as it was too short and there was no discussion, but it was worth it just for the 3DS "you did it" moment.