NEurope
Retro_Link

Kirby's Epic Yarn

I decided to snap it this up today as i've been in a bit of a gaming rut and figured this would cheer me up. I slapped it on as soon as I got home and i'm not disappointed, the game is just so cheerful. Now it could be that i've been up for over 24 hours straight but I'm finding the music quite relaxing in the game. :D

If you don't have a smile on your face when Kirby changes into the car and makes the beep beep sound then you have no soul. FACT!

I've just cleared the first world 100%, onward to the second!!!

Nice one, H-o-T. icon14.gif

If you don't have a smile on your face when Kirby changes into the car and makes the beep beep sound then you have no soul. FACT!
So true.

I have a permanent smile on my face while playing this game, regardless of what's going on. Just can't help it! :D

Just played the most awesome stage on...

Space Land.

It's a Kirby shoot 'em up! :awesome:

From 4:54 on this vid:

It's so funny when you've got a huge bead streak going and you get hit. Watching those beads fly all over the place is unbelievably painful! I actually shouted out "Nooooo my beeeeeads!!!!" the other day. :laughing:

I actually shouted out "Nooooo my beeeeeads!!!!" the other day. :laughing:

For some reason, I read that in the voice of JD from Scrubs :indeed: It just seemed to fit :heh:

I kinda can't wait to play Kirby's Epic Yarn myself but I'm definitely waiting for it to drop to an unmissable price. I haven't really watched any footage of the game in a long time as I want to be surprised when I finally play it :grin:

For some reason, I read that in the voice of JD from Scrubs :indeed: It just seemed to fit :heh:

I kinda can't wait to play Kirby's Epic Yarn myself but I'm definitely waiting for it to drop to an unmissable price. I haven't really watched any footage of the game in a long time as I want to be surprised when I finally play it :grin:

Good luck with that. It's a Nintendo game and they rarely drop in price. As for your JD comment, yeah, it totally fits. SASHA! :D

I've just finished my favourite level so far, Dino Jungle. The music was fantastic, it kinda reminded me of the Lion King game on the SNES for some reason.

Good luck with that. It's a Nintendo game and they rarely drop in price.

I'm taking Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Metroid: Other M, Battallion Wars 2 and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn as proof that my faith may eventually be rewarded :heh:

I'd like to say I know what you mean... but I've never watched Scrubs. :heh:

I haven't really watched any footage of the game in a long time as I want to be surprised when I finally play it :grin:
Don't worry, you will be. Plenty of surprises in this one. ;)

Good luck with that. It's a Nintendo game and they rarely drop in price.
Yeah, but if a game doesn't sell too well, it will definitely drop (Other M being the most recent example of that) and apparently Kirby's Epic Yarn isn't doing too well. :hmm:

I got it from Gameplay, where it's already dropped a little bit to £27.99.

Edited by RedShell

I actually enquired in HMV this evening to see how much I would get if I was to trade in Monster Hunter Tri :eek:

They offered £17 so I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly tempted having failed to really give it a go yet. That money would then go towards Kirby's Epic Yarn which I'm considerably more likely to enjoy..

Having said that, Monster Hunter Tri deserves to be given a chance..

I actually enquired in HMV this evening to see how much I would get if I was to trade in Monster Hunter Tri :eek:

They offered £17 so I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly tempted having failed to really give it a go yet. That money would then go towards Kirby's Epic Yarn which I'm considerably more likely to enjoy..

Trade in Monster Hunter Tri..? Without giving it a go..?

You sir, are insane! MHTri is an absolute MUST HAVE game!

I found another great level before finally going to bed yesterday...Dusk Dunes! The level is like a freaking Kirby version of Excite Truck! :D Once again the music is fantastic aswell.

[spoiler=]

This game is amazing in it's simplicity, it's so much fun to play that it's actually stopped me from playing Pokemon Black. I think I must have put only an hour into it thanks to this. :heh:

Trade in Monster Hunter Tri..? Without giving it a go..?

You sir, are insane! MHTri is an absolute MUST HAVE game!

It requires a very specific taste. If he's not that bothered about it then he won't like it.

It requires a very specific taste. If he's not that bothered about it then he won't like it.

I wasn't that bothered about MHT... it was 'sold' to me under the pretense that 'it's like PSO only with bigger monsters' that's not the case, I'm not saying that it's a bad game, it's good... if you can get into it, but yes it does require a very specific taste.

Anyway, back on-topic!

Kirby, you amazing pink ball of fudge! This game reminds me so much of just how great a character Kirby really is and that its been far too long since he had a genuinely amazing game such as this.

While it's true that Epic Yarn may have started life as an original IP, bringing Kirby into the fray and then tailoring the game specifically to tie-in with the much loved franchise was a bold move indeed and one that makes so much sense which is all the more evident the further you progress in the game. Vibrant levels featuring endearing enemies, terrific transformations and the ability to disappear through doors and behind the very fabric itself... it's things like this that not only make the game but they make it a Kirby game and hes not only made his mark on this title but rather stitched it in permenantly.

Hmmm... that's definitely going in the review :heh: speaking of which I'm almost done, just tweaking it currently but also ensuring that I've explored everything that the game has to offer, I've almost 100% completed the game - as in everything, not just golding all the levels - so I'm gonna go finish it now and then hopefully have the review finished today too. :)

Edited by S.C.G

So I did end up splitting for this, and as a result am reluctant to play it alone. It seems nice and fun so far though! Maybe I'll take it for some single player just to see if I appreciate it a bit more.

So I did end up splitting for this, and as a result am reluctant to play it alone. It seems nice and fun so far though! Maybe I'll take it for some single player just to see if I appreciate it a bit more.

You really should Rummy, I've been playing the game almost soley single-player and it's amazing :) the two-player is just an option, plus if you make any significant progress on your own, when you go to play two-player again then you can easily replay each stage, in fact it's one of those games where it's recommended to replay each stage just because it's such a joy to play! :D

7 quid profit, not bad.

That Argos deal was a steal! :D

While it's true that Epic Yarn may have started life as an original IP, bringing Kirby into the fray and then tailoring the game specifically to tie-in with the much loved franchise was a bold move indeed and one that makes so much sense which is all the more evident the further you progress in the game. Vibrant levels featuring endearing enemies, terrific transformations and the ability to disappear through doors and behind the very fabric itself... it's things like this that not only make the game but they make it a Kirby game and hes not only made his mark on this title but rather stitched it in permenantly.

Hmmm... that's definitely going in the review :heh: speaking of which I'm almost done, just tweaking it currently but also ensuring that I've explored everything that the game has to offer, I've almost 100% completed the game - as in everything, not just golding all the levels - so I'm gonna go finish it now and then hopefully have the review finished today too. :)

I'm over 90% done too, with around 14 hours on the clock (although some of that was decorating Kirby's flat, messing around, drooling at the beautiful scenery and re-playing the bonus stages).

Reckon I'll have it completed on my next go.

But yeah, then I'm definitely going to spend a bit more time pimping Kirby's flat. :grin: And I know I'm going to play through the whole game again, attempting perfect bead streaks and going for high scores. :awesome:

I've just finished Snow Land now and i've got 100% on every level so far. I think my score is 60% complete or there abouts.

Another world and another outstanding level in terms of music. This has to be one of the best Christmas tunes i've heard in a game for a loooooooong time.

Just completed it. Got 100% on everything except fabrics, need to do a few more mini-games to complete that.

But yeah, what an incredibly awesome game. So glad I picked it up. :)

One thing I didn't mention before, is the narrator in the UK version. He is absolutely brilliant! icon14.gif Just the perfect voice for this, really gave the game that retro kids TV program vibe. :love: I totally get why Mike was reminded of Bagpus, it emulates that style incredibly well. :hehe:

So yeah, major hat tipping going out to those responsible for the localisation, they did such a great job. :bowdown:

I'll tell you who's not done so great though, the people behind promotion. Has anyone seen any form of advertising for Epic Yarn in Europe? I haven't seen any at all. :blank:

Had a look on YouTube, there only seem to be Japanese and US ads.

US Ad:

Japanese Ads:

icon4.gifWarning to those that haven't played the game, they show a lot in this vid:

Bloody ridiculous if they haven't put some decent advertising out for this game in Europe. :nono:

I'll tell you who's not done so great though, the people behind promotion. Has anyone seen any form of advertising for Epic Yarn in Europe? I haven't seen any at all. :blank:

Saw an advert last week, and it focused heavily on the player being able to decorate Kirby's house :indeed:

And... I've completed the game! :D several hours ago infact, not just all levels either but everything so I've now officially 100%'d it and it feels goooood! ^^

I knew this game would be something special right from the start and I'm glad that I decided to play it to the very end, this will allow me to expand on the very favourable review that I'm currently putting the finishing touches to so now you can expect to see it in a day or two, I just hope that you all think its worth the wait...

... and even if you don't I'm not too concerned because I've actually genuinely enjoyed reviewing this title about as much as I've enjoyed playing it because it truly is just that good. :)

Kirby of the Stars is going to have to be pretty darn special in order to even hope that it'll stack up well against Kirby's Epic Yarn because truthfully it's one of the best games I've played and one of the most enjoyable Kirby titles I've ever had the pleasure of playing. : peace:

I'm finding that rather many bits of this seem to vaguely remind me of Yoshi's island. Any similarities between teams?

*JOINS 100% CLUB!*

IMG_0452.jpg

All I can say about this game was that it was an absolute joy to play. The reviews mentioned how easy the game is but most of them failed to mention the challenges that you unlock. Some of them are quite tricky and it really gives the game some legs after finishing the main story. Also, just look at the length of time i've played on it! Considering most single player games these days last 6-8 hours this doubles that.

It's games like this that make me glad Nintendo are in this business.

*Starts Sin & Punishment 2*

How do you get 100%, I've done everything and have 5 fabrics left to get! I've bought everything in the store and beat every mini game! I'm stuck on 99%!

How do you get 100%, I've done everything and have 5 fabrics left to get! I've bought everything in the store and beat every mini game! I'm stuck on 99%!

The remaining 5 fabrics should come from the 'friend' characters that set you challenges, have you done all of those? If so then upon finishing a level - any level - just replay one and they'll say something like 'hey let's hang out at your flat!' you go there and assuming you have done all of the challenges then you'll get given another fabric as thanks.

Kirby's Epic Yarn

£19.99

Game - deal of the day

'Available while stocks last or until we can buy some up from elsewhere.'

Already posted in the general bargains thread but a seriously good deal that I would advise anyone to take advantage of who doesn't have the game already. :)