NEurope
Ashley

[E3 2010] New Design Xbox 360 - 16th July - £200

As far as I know its included with the console.

month old news but hey:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/39645/Xbox-360-S-includes-data-transfer-kit

I've read online that the 360 S comes with a data transfer kit in the UK, and also that USB devices can be used. Also read you can buy the new 360, take it home to do the transfer then bring the 360 in with your receipt to do the trade and receive cash.

I wasn't even aware of that, good to know though. :)

Edited by S.C.G
Automerged Doublepost

Hm well, that all circled around a tweet that GAME made, which after looking around doesn't really seem to have been backed up or confirmed anywhere.

Also on the GAME website, they are selling the transfer cable separately at £15. So I'm guessing it doesn't come bundled.

However it does seem possible to transfer everything over using 16GB USB devices. However that might include some things like Mass Effect saves (which you don't seem to be able to copy over).

The site also says Elite trade in is worth £80. A 'Super' Elite (250GB) is worth £100. That said, "Prices subject to change" can be found in the disclaimer.

Edited by Shorty

RE: Trade-ins and data transfer:

-Data transfer kit is being sold seperately

-Our store in particular isn't doing instore data transfers but we have heard that some might be, so it's worth asking.

However; what we are doing (as are the majority of stores) is what Shorty mentioned a page back. Essentially the cash and instore credit trade-in prices will be the same for a couple of weeks. This means:

1. Buy your new Slim,

2. Get hold of a data transfer cable,

3. Go home, transfer data,

4. Return old 360 to store for monies.

Simples. :D

It's also worth mentioning that most stores (mine included) are doing midnight launches for the new Slim which seems ridiculous to me but hey ho. If your store had one for MW2 or other such titles chances are it'll be opening at midnight for the Slim.

In the case of my store, we are expecting to have enough stock to fill pre-orders and have a few surplus to sell on day of release. If you're buying it from GAME and you haven't pre-ordered, you're gonna need to get there as soon as the store opens if you want one based on the level of interest we've had. Conversely, the HMV I used to work for has a grand total of 2 pre-orders compared to our 60. Even the staff from there have pre-ordered at GAME, it's awesome :D

Dyson, is it £100 trade-in for my 120GB Elite? I've pre-ordered at my local GAME, and I'm sure I mentioned it was the 120GB version......

It depends when you pre-ordered, if you pre-ordered before the 1st of July then the trade-in price was £100 for the 120GB Elite, and you'll get that amount when trading it in for the Slim. If it was on or after the 1st of July then it's £80 you'll get for it. It's the same deal with the other consoles too, the 20GB Premium was £60 but went down to £50 and so on but if you preordered before 1/7 you'll get the higher trade-in price. :D

It depends when you pre-ordered, if you pre-ordered before the 1st of July then the trade-in price was £100 for the 120GB Elite, and you'll get that amount when trading it in for the Slim. If it was on or after the 1st of July then it's £80 you'll get for it. It's the same deal with the other consoles too, the 20GB Premium was £60 but went down to £50 and so on but if you preordered before 1/7 you'll get the higher trade-in price. :D

What if I came into your shop and gave you a hug, would I be able to get the £100 trade-in price? :o

The HMV deal is still cheaper than either of those prices (console costs £90 when Elite traded in)

In short, don't bother buying from GAME.

The HMV deal is still cheaper than either of those prices (console costs £90 when Elite traded in)

In short, don't bother buying from GAME.

But then you have to buy the transfer kit for £15, and will HMV let you take in the console later for your cash back?

I can't see why not, or at least allow you to transfer it over in store. You only need that for non-transferrable saves anyway, right? The rest you can backup to USB stick.

Yeah but Mass Effect is one of those non-transferable saves. Also if I could save downloading hundreds of gigs of games and addons I would like to.

On the other hand, I could just play through Mass Effect again and do the redownload to save the cost of the transfer cable.

Any idea what saves are non-transferable?

Yeah but Mass Effect is one of those non-transferable saves.

I moved my Mass Effect 2 (and Fable 2 - another "protected" game save) onto a USB stick so I could move it to my other HDD. I think with the "non-transferable" ones you can move them (just not copy them).

Unfortunately this meant that when my bigger HDD failed I lost them (I managed to scrape my renegade playthough from ME2, but that's about it)

Ah I see.

In that case, I am now considering nipping to HMV on Friday... hm....

I moved my Mass Effect 2 (and Fable 2 - another "protected" game save) onto a USB stick so I could move it to my other HDD. I think with the "non-transferable" ones you can move them (just not copy them).

How would they stop you from copying the data on your USB stick once connected to your PC?

How would they stop you from copying the data on your USB stick once connected to your PC?

The USB stick is the same format as the 360's HDD, which would stop most people copying the data. You would need something like Xplorer360 to access the save file.

Just got this email from Game :grin:

Qty Description

1 The New Xbox 360 250GB with Data Transfer Cable [Xbox 360]

Your order has left the building and will be with you soon! Your credit/debit card will now be charged in accordance with your instructions and if you are a Reward Member your points will be added to your card.

I wonder when it'll be delivered? I wonder if I could pick it up at the Parcelforce depot when it arrives there instead of waiting for the guy to deliver it.

Just got this email from Game :grin:

I wonder when it'll be delivered? I wonder if I could pick it up at the Parcelforce depot when it arrives there instead of waiting for the guy to deliver it.

I got an e-mail from GAME on Sunday saying they'd shipped it. I'm expecting my new 360 tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath. Thursday at the earliest is more likely tbh.

So, what's the best deal about in terms of trading your old 360 in against a slim?

The manager at my local Blockbusters said she would beat any deal going so I'm trying to find the best one.

If you're talking about an elite, read further up this page and the one before it.

If you're not talking about an elite... you're not going to get very much tbh.

As i've said before, i'll only go down the route for a new 360 if my current one decides to end it's life.

I got an e-mail from GAME on Sunday saying they'd shipped it. I'm expecting my new 360 tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath. Thursday at the earliest is more likely tbh.

On Game's website it's showing as "Your order has been dispatched." and on Parcelforce's website it says it's an Express 24 service, which would suggest it'll be here tomorrow...

We'll see...

As i've said before, i'll only go down the route for a new 360 if my current one decides to end it's life.

I'll likely be doing the same, there's no way I can afford to replace my xbox when it's still working, but I think the housemate is buying a new xbox and keeping his old elite, so I might see if he'll let me test the new one :D.

I'd be interested to see if people got their xboxes today, but it does seem early even for GAME.

I'm justifying it thusly:

1. My elite's used up it's year's warranty.

2. I'm down to about 30/120GB HDD space, so I get double HDD updgrade.

3. Xbox is in great condition for a trade, but sometimes disc reading plays up. That wouldn't be noticeable during the trade though :heh:

4. Get shiny new controller.

5. Built in Wi-Fi, then I can sell my Wi-Fi adapter.

6. Quieter and more reliable system.

If I can get that for £90, I'm doin it.

I'm justifying it thusly:

1. My elite's used up it's year's warranty.

2. I'm down to about 30/120GB HDD space, so I get double HDD updgrade.

3. Xbox is in great condition for a trade, but sometimes disc reading plays up. That wouldn't be noticeable during the trade though :heh:

4. Get shiny new controller.

5. Built in Wi-Fi, then I can sell my Wi-Fi adapter.

6. Quieter and more reliable system.

If I can get that for £90, I'm doin it.

I've noticed this recently, the first time I recall is just after buying ffx13, not that that'd make the difference but for some reason its a date I remember it happening. Although it doesn't happen often its very irritating.