NEurope
Dante

[E3 2010] Microsoft Conference General Thread

Judging by the conference it looks like they are changing to a casual focus to go after the Wii. I wouldnt be surprised if a price cut occurs closer to christmas and there are rumours of a new arcade type sku closer to Natal launch.

The degrading hardcore focus is bad news for all of us. There were barely any new games for the hardcore aside from the usual suspects(Halo, gears and Fable). This is also the first time they didnt give a rats arse about doing a good Halo trailer...

I understand the attractiveness of the Wii (tiny budgets, huge returns) but surely hardcore gamers should still be catered too? I hope Sony dont do the same.

This thread makes me lol so much. Not just the hilarious pictures/gifs, but also the general armegeddon and/or secret market analyst expert type posts y'all are making. Fact is half of you have already said 'hey, I think I'll buy me one of those reboxed-consoles-that-I-already-own" so you're already throwing your money at microsoft.

The conference was shit. And I'm the only person who liked the first 5 minutes (Black Ops).

Only way i'd buy a new console is if my old one broke/blew up like the previous 360 i had.

Anyone fancy summarising the conference for me?

Yeah, I'd like a summary too, from someone on NE that isn't overly biased.

So Choze....

Anyone fancy summarising the conference for me?

No problem - it was shite :laughing:

It wasn't that bad. It was just aimed at people who don't watch this stuff live, i.e. the "casual" market.

Indeed, they were streaming it through Inside Xbox as well so they were trying to get it out to as many people as possible.

- Opened with presumably the beginning of Call Of Duty: Black Ops playthrough. Game suggests (duh) a focus on stealth rather that OTT shooting

- Brief 'trailer' devoid of game content for Crytex's "Codename Kingdom". Nobody knows what it's about.

- Short clip of Metal Gear: Somethingorother where you can cut at will. Looks kinda fun, you can slice watermelons and stuff.

- Halo: Reach stuff. I think. I'm not down with the kids when it comes to Halo.

- 4-player co-op for gears 3 that looked traditionally 'epic' i.e. moreofthesame, but that's ok.

- Then an hour and 20 mins of how the Kinect system revolutionises (read: makes more complicated than a controller) the navigation of the Zune stuff; movies/music. Say "XBOX" then a command like "play" or "stop" and it will do some surprising things.

- Big push of some sort of ESPN 'channel' where you can watch the channel/pay for the PPV things. They focused on college football and we snored.

- Pushing the microsoft network -- 'Live' and how the kinect camera actually tilts to follow you around the room while you web-chat with your contacts, stalker style.

- Various shakey-hand commands that i forget

- Several wii-emulating gamepacks; sports, dance, cars, party games, all sold separately and guarenteed to give your arms chronic aches from posing like a ponce. Lots of people forced-smiling and 'enjoying' running on the spot, dancing like a twat and posing like tetris blocks.

- Some girl played with the latest generation of tamagotchi; a tiger (she thinks it's a dog) called Skittles who matrix-trips on some skipping rope.

- New 'slim' 360 that is 'kinect ready', 250gb hdd, wifi ready and one big fan and smarter cooling system so that the console will now last longer than the warrenty so you'll have to pay more for a 'replacement'.

- Console to retail at similar price to current 360

- Kinect itself is another $120-150, depending on who you ask. Shoould still be compatible with current 360s but microsoft aren't really going to publicise that fact.

That's all I remember. It was genuinely over an hour of wiimitation software that, for some reason, tehy're selling on 15 different discs rather than one because they're money whoars, but it's working because everyone already wants a new xbox even though they already have one because I DUN UNDERSTAND WHAIII

The conference was boring to me, only Gears 3 got my interest. I was hopeful for much more. They didn't reveal a single new thing that I cared about.

I'd never buy the new console just because its a new version, my current xbox for now works just fine and tbh if they do the same as the current xbox I'm sure there will be a number of faults so I'd have to send it back.

The conference seems boring, nothing caught my interest at all, I'm almost dismayed I sold my wii and kept my xbox at this point.

I'm not hugely surprised by the dull conference, can anyone honestly say they're stuck for games? Microsoft have basically gone "OK, the hardcore gaming market is catered for, lets concentrate on something else.". It's irritating because E3 is kinda like "our" event, but not particularly alarming. Next E3 could well be much the same with Google moving in to the TV space and Apple bringing iOS to people's TVs. I expect there'll be a lot more focus on services, Kinect, XBLA and cross platform compatibility with Windows Phone with less focus on big game releases. The next Halo/Gears/PGR/Forza etc. are going to become a lot less important over the next 5 years.

Edited by McPhee