NEurope
Kirkatronics

NHS Pays Fat People

If it is true, then I should sue them. As someone who has successfully lost 120lbs, I should be reimbursed.

120lbs?! Jesus christ, that's amazing dude! :D

(wish I had the willpower!)

That's not necessarily true.

On a case by case basis: no, but on average it is by a landslide majority. Chubby people far outweigh the number of skinny; we're just far too lazy a society.

To be fair, it's probably cheaper paying people to lose weight than paying for treatment for fat-related maladies.

Well, that's assuming that this scheme would actually cause a proportionate decrease in obesity-related costs relative to the money paid out (also that on advertising). The fairly small amount of reward money on offer would appeal most to those from poor backgrounds, who are typically unlikely to change their entire lifestyle anyway for the sake of a small payout.

as someone who's most likely very overweight by NSH guidelines, and whose wallet is most definitely UNDERweight by paying-the-rent guidelines... i'd be super up for this!! :grin:

120lbs?! Jesus christ, that's amazing dude! :D

(wish I had the willpower!)

Please, it fucks you up when you lose it as quickly as I did...I'm constantly worrying about my weight...all my friends think I'm anorexic and bulemic nowadays :/ Still, it's great to be healthy :D

Please, it fucks you up when you lose it as quickly as I did...I'm constantly worrying about my weight...all my friends think I'm anorexic and bulemic nowadays :/ Still, it's great to be healthy :D

I think all former "fatties" do. I met so many people at weightwatchers who were at their goal. All they did was worry and point every single thing in a bid to STAY the same weight. At least when you are fat you have the whole being skinny thing to look forward to! Just keep at it and remember to treat yourself every once in a while :smile:

I just don't have the willpower and I keep getting problems thrown at me, left right and centre, so the healthy living gets thrown out of the window.

It's really not as easy for everyone, or how a lot of "skinny" people imagine it to be. Some people can get away with eating junk all the time.. Just makes me very cross that people can so easily criticise.

I know how it is, it really does suck.

I do treat myself, just a bit too often meaning I have to go for ultra long runs to burn it off lol.

I used to think I didn't have the willpower, but things worked out :)

I can certainly put myself in your places. I wish I had the time and energy and willpower to work out.

I know how it is, it really does suck.

I do treat myself, just a bit too often meaning I have to go for ultra long runs to burn it off lol.

I used to think I didn't have the willpower, but things worked out :)

Yaay good for you dude, and look at you now, hot stuff :heh::D

Paying people to lose weight is so infuriating! There is a serious lack of money, public sector workers losing their jobs and we're paying people to not eat burgers and do some exercise!

I could rant on for ages, but it just angers me.

The big external cost here is the visual pollution of having to look at the fats.

(Epic apologies if you're fat lolwin)

...that... doesn't even make... sense.

Anyway, I think this it's funny when considering people's priorities.

Doctor: Don't eat that... you need to lose weight...

Overweight person: Why?

Doctor: Cause you'll die!

Overweight person: So?

Doctor: Hum... I'll give you money...?

Overweight person: Alright! *throws pie away*

Just seems like a really weird mixed-up situation.

I'm also concerned that these fat people may become confused and try to eat the money.

Meh i'm fat and a money insentive wouldn't make me try harder to lose weight, i know it's something that i need to sort out in my head and work on exercise etc, i dont need money to tell me that!

And there is much better things they should be spending money on.

And there is much better things they should be spending money on.

Like education?

Edited by dwarf

Like education?

or cigarettes! :D

(hey smoking helps when you're on a diet, lol!)

Like education?

Not really, I think they seem to do a pretty good job of that already. I'm 22 now and i was given enough education on how to look after yourself etc. Well mainly from my parents (isn't that one of the many parenting roles anyway!?)

I just got lazy after i finished high school, eating shit and not exercising and suprisingly i put on quite alot of weight etc etc. To be honest i think that is where the problem lies, peoples lazyness...

Money like that should be spend on other avenues in the NHS, hearing all these stories about the NHS being in debt and hospitals being dirty or not having enough staff etc, money should go into this like that will benifit everyone. (My mum works in operating theatres at a NHS hospital so i get to hear all the lovely stories).

or cigarettes! :D

(hey smoking helps when you're on a diet, lol!)

(Mine was meant to be a joke on Mike's post, shh)

Not really, I think they seem to do a pretty good job of that already. I'm 22 now and i was given enough education on how to look after yourself etc. Well mainly from my parents (isn't that one of the many parenting roles anyway!?)

I just got lazy after i finished high school, eating shit and not exercising and suprisingly i put on quite alot of weight etc etc. To be honest i think that is where the problem lies, peoples lazyness...

Money like that should be spend on other avenues in the NHS, hearing all these stories about the NHS being in debt and hospitals being dirty or not having enough staff etc, money should go into this like that will benifit everyone. (My mum works in operating theatres at a NHS hospital so i get to hear all the lovely stories).

They don't give exact figures, but with it being an NHS sponsored study the expectation would be that in the long run money is saved. Fat people are more unhealthy so use health services more, thus creating an economic burden. If a one-time payout can help ease this burden why be against it?

On a case by case basis: no, but on average it is by a landslide majority. Chubby people far outweigh the number of skinny; we're just far too lazy a society.

Well, that's assuming that this scheme would actually cause a proportionate decrease in obesity-related costs relative to the money paid out (also that on advertising). The fairly small amount of reward money on offer would appeal most to those from poor backgrounds, who are typically unlikely to change their entire lifestyle anyway for the sake of a small payout.

They only get paid if the weight stays off, so that would imply a change in lifestyle - you can't lose 30 pounds, and keep it off for a year without changing lifestyle.

Also, £500 is a nice amount for those on middle incomes too, not just those from poor backgrounds. It's especially nice when it's for something they know they should do anyway. The average UK income is somewhere around 30k, which is under 1.9k per month net (less than 1.8k with student loan). £500 would sit nicely with that.

I still say that if they do this, they should do it retroactively. Especially for people that go from this;

Joe.jpg

To this

28659_10150208760760273_888265272_12575499_1067810_n.jpg

Thats a massive difference Serebii, well played.

My brother managed to drop loads of weight last year. When I look at pictures of him he barely looks like the person I know now.

They don't give exact figures, but with it being an NHS sponsored study the expectation would be that in the long run money is saved. Fat people are more unhealthy so use health services more, thus creating an economic burden. If a one-time payout can help ease this burden why be against it?

I see the point you make and it would cost less in the long run if it was to work but for myself being offered money to lose weight would make no difference. It is also worth noting that i have been overweight for several years now and have never yet been to doctors/hospital etc over anythin (although im sure in years to come that may change).

Im 22 now and put on weight from 16 onwards due to lazyness. If other fat people have a similar mentalilty to me then i would assume it would make no difference to them either.

I would say there is also a danger that if they implement this it could open the door for other things Like paying people to stop smoking, paying alcoholics to stop drinking alcohol etc etc.

I want to lose weight to improve my own lifestyle and im sure smokers and what not who want to quit feel the same.

Maybe a different harser tactic may work better? For example they can spend this kind of money on other things and have heathcare refused for people who are just lazy and have made themselves ill etc through weight gain.

REF SERBII PICS: Well done! Hardly recognise u when comparing the pics!

Damn it! I spent the last year losing weight! I think NHS should pay me back.

And I agree with a lot of you, especially serebii, that I'm now constantly worrying that I may put the weight back on! Whenever I have something unhealthy I feel terrible and have to go and exercise else im just full of anxiety.

I see the point you make and it would cost less in the long run if it was to work but for myself being offered money to lose weight would make no difference. It is also worth noting that i have been overweight for several years now and have never yet been to doctors/hospital etc over anythin (although im sure in years to come that may change).

If it wouldn't work for you then they wouldn't pay you. Even if it doesn't work for you, it may for someone else.

On your second point; being overweight is one of those things where the larger effects are built up over the long term (diabetes, heart conditions, arthritis, etc).

Im 22 now and put on weight from 16 onwards due to lazyness. If other fat people have a similar mentalilty to me then i would assume it would make no difference to them either.

Yeah but if it makes no difference to you, and you therefore don't lose weight, they won't pay you anything. So I guess it's not such a financially silly idea after all.

Maybe a different harser tactic may work better? For example they can spend this kind of money on other things and have heathcare refused for people who are just lazy and have made themselves ill etc through weight gain.

Although I agree with the reasoning I can't see this happening. It's just unethical.