NEurope
Dan_Dare

10,000 Gamerpoints in 24 hours

Eurogamer have an amusing article on one man's absurd quest for 10,000 gp in 24 hours. It's ridiculous, and highlights just how shit most achievements are. Goes to show how stupid the guys who go for the 'shit game but play it for points' crowd are, too.

Im sad to say that when I still had my 360 I rented Avatar just to get the gamerpoints. It really was stupidly easy.

Can't see it being that hard, if you're going to go out of your way to spend money on the crappy titles that will get you there in no time. You could probably get 1000 from TMNT in about 90 minutes.

The thing is, though, if you do this then anyone looking at your games list will know instantly that you're an idiot who buys shit games for the sake of increasing a number by your gamertag. I'm guessing people do this to feel elite and brag, but it gives entirely the opposite image to others.

Yeah it's entirely counter productive.

Personally I love good achievements- Geometry Wars 2 is very clever for giving you rewards for playing the game in different, counter intuitive ways. More games should do that.

Personally I love good achievements- Geometry Wars 2 is very clever for giving you rewards for playing the game in different, counter intuitive ways. More games should do that.

People like to complete things, they find it fun, who are we to judge?

You'll notice the achievment hunters play a lot of shit games for achievys, but they also have the hardest achievments out their

That's my favourite sort too, making you play in a way you wouldn't do normally because the fun wouldn't be worth the lack of reward if the achievement hadn't been made.

I play for achievements because I find them fun to get. I like all kinds of achievements except for the easy ones like "Press Start and you get an achievement". I think achievements have made gaming more fun and challenging (even though it was in the first place).

That's my favourite sort too, making you play in a way you wouldn't do normally because the fun wouldn't be worth the lack of reward if the achievement hadn't been made.

Plus for some of the better "play the game in a different way" ones, you wouldn't probably wouldn't even think about playing it like that anyway. I would never have thought "I know, I'll try to scrape along all four walls" for GW2, but because of the achievement I had a lot of fun doing so. There's also the Neutral achievements in Fallout 3, which provided hours of extra gametime and I had a lot of fun making careful and balanced decisions in order to stay neutral.

They also provide a good incentive to play games you enjoy on a harder difficulty setting.

I've noticed that I now don't look at how many points an achievement is worth - I just look at how fun it sounds.

One thing I do hate is having a random number (i.e. not a 5 or 0) as the last digit. 38476 (my current score) just looks stupid. Although I'm not playing Forza 2 for hours just to get those 4 points.

One thing I do hate is having a random number (i.e. not a 5 or 0) as the last digit. 38476 (my current score) just looks stupid. Although I'm not playing Forza 2 for hours just to get those 4 points.

This! my Gamerscore is even atm but it wasn't because of a '1G' achievement I missed on Borderlands :/ but then I got a '1G' achievement on DJ hero so if I end up getting the '4G' achievement in DJ Hero then it means I'll have to replay the DLC mission in Borderlands - it's the one where you face some evil doctor and I wasn't in the area when he was defeated for the first time >< worth 1G - but yeah... uneven achievements succcck!

People like to complete things, they find it fun, who are we to judge?

You'll notice the achievment hunters play a lot of shit games for achievys, but they also have the hardest achievments out their

It's not an issue with completing your games fully, it's the mentality of going out to acquire shit games with easy achievements for the purpose of raising your score that is undeniably pathetic.

I've actually found the opposite to you in that people who have maxed poor games typically haven't maxed harder games.

Well the Fallout karma trophies were a pain. I spend enough/too much time playing one or two playthroughs, so to make people play it three times is excessive, and I hope they don't feature in New Vegas.

I forgot to ensure I had a save file before the level 8 one which was a bit annoying. I wouldn't have bothered if I'd forgot to make a separate one prior to level 20.

The karma system is very flexible anyway. You could kill off everyone in an innocent location like Big Town, which would pretty much get you from a saint to a devil, or if you wanted positive you could just pay the church a couple of hundred caps for a remarkably easy turnaround. Didn't matter if you killed every friendly NPC in the game either.

I enjoyed that article muchly. I do quite like the thought of achievements in general, or at least, thoughtful achievements. Personally I prefer trophies and anything that encourages you to explore the game in new and interesting ways is great. I actually have a favourite achievement - the save one bullet achievement in Half Life 2: Episode One, maybe tied with the one you get for reaching the top of the tower in Crackdown.

This is precisely why I don't care lol....I have barely any trophies really as there aren't any I have gone out of my way to get any of them so if I've got any decent ones its just through normal regular gameplay...

The only decent achievement worth getting is the 'mile high club' one from COD4

Yes im aware there are others, probably good ones but this is the only one I tried to do and gave a shit about.

The only decent achievement worth getting is the 'mile high club' one from COD4.

I thought that "No Fighting In The War Room" was around 50 times harder than the Epilogue.

This is precisely why I don't care lol....I have barely any trophies really as there aren't any I have gone out of my way to get any of them so if I've got any decent ones its just through normal regular gameplay...

You should give the ones that suggest playing in a different way a try. Like ipaul, the One Bullet in HL2:EP1 is another great one to do.

I thought that "No Fighting In The War Room" was around 50 times harder than the Epilogue.

Agreed, I think that was the single hardest thing I've ever done In a game. It took me about 4 hours of none stop trying to do it.

My completed games list is; Lost, Banjo kazooie, condemned, Assassin's creed 2 and MW2. I think I have a fairly typical range, there. For me, a lot of the achievements I don't have for a lot of games are online ones, where the game makers are essentially trying to bribe me for my free time.

Having not had my 360 for long the only game I'm at 1G on is Modern Warfare, and I would agree that 'No Fighting in the War Room' is the hardest thing....ever. I was simply ridiculous how many times (and in how many different ways) I tried to complete that level.

On thing I'm not such a fan of at the moment is achievements that require you to go online to get because I can't get on xbox live at uni. It means there are some games, like Modern Warfare 2, that I won't be able to get 1G on until I go online, despite having every other achievement. I realise online is a big part of the games and that the score is only really online so I don't think they should change it or anything, it's just frustrating to know that I can't get 1G in a game no matter how good I am at it until I have gone onto Live.

It means there are some games, like Modern Warfare 2, that I won't be able to get 1G on until I go online, despite having every other achievement.

You can do the special-ops mode in split-screen, so you don't need Xbox Live at all.

As for my completed games (in terms of achievements): Burnout Paradise (inc DLC), Call of Duty 4, Fallout 3 (inc DLC), Banjo-Kazooie (inc DLC), Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection, Sonic All-Stars Racing.

I also like to include Bioshock (I just don't have the extra achievement they added), Left 4 Dead (the achievement for completing all campaigns on expert went to 3/4, when I completed the last one it went back down to 2/4 and got completely stuck there) and Borderlands (I just don't have all the DLC achievements).

I also have the following XBLA games completed: Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Sonic 1,2,3&Knuckles, Battlefield 1943, The Maw, After Burner Climax, 1 vs 100 and Dash of Destruction.

I'd like to think that it's a good mix.

Assuming you're talking about the two bastard 3 parallel paths sections (the missile silo and the room full of boxes, flashbangs, grenades and automatic weapons are you friend. And only hope.

You can do the special-ops mode in split-screen, so you don't need Xbox Live at all.

I did not know this. Thankyou very much for making me realise this *goes to do the achievements*