NEurope
Ren of Heavens

GoldenEye 007

I've seen this in Tesco for £25 with the classic controller = good?

There's no need to go for an inferior controller, so just get the solus game for £15 in HMV instead.

Edited by D_prOdigy

When I first played through the campaign, the difficulty dropped by itself so I'd like to play through it again on the difficulty I initially selected! Be careful as this may happen to you too :heh:
You sure, I don't remember this happening?... I can only see that happeneing if you don't continue the game on and play the next level straight away, but exit out/turn off inbetween.

Definately give the Classic(? hardest) difficulty a go! I had great fun with that... though Archives was pretty insane and haven't got any further!

I've seen this in Tesco for £25 with the classic controller = good?
Only if you need a classic controller in general/for something else, because I wouldn't recommend it for this game.

I've been in the mood to play this again recently so if you ever fancy some online action, count me in, @Fierce_LiNk :hehe:

When I first played through the campaign, the difficulty dropped by itself so I'd like to play through it again on the difficulty I initially selected! Be careful as this may happen to you too :heh:

I've never actually played the online part of this.

As for the difficulty, if you miss any of the secondary objectives the difficulty drops to the easiest. Which was annoying as in most missions you can't backtrack to complete anything you missed.

I played more of this last night. It's amazing. There's just so much to like about it.

I thought the nightclub level would be a chore, but I quite enjoyed it...you didn't really get any of that aspect of being a Secret Agent in the original Goldeneye, but it fitted in well here. Answering a phone call by just lifting the Wiimote next to your ear (without any button pushes) was pretty cool, I thought.

Did the Severnaya level (the first, if there's more) and I loved it. I loved going through the level and stealthing my way through. Sneaking up behind the enemy and taking them out quietly is enjoyable. I also enjoyed how you were caught in the middle of a firefight...I bomb-rushed that last part to get to the door, haha.

*iiiiiii remembeeeeer.....*

Severnaya is incredible (the snow effects!!!)... infact (including Severnaya) you're about to embark on a truely awesome run of levels! The next one is immense!

Did you pick up the sniper rifle for the last section?... it's really fun, and if you play through that level again, there's a great stealth route to the East.

I've never actually played the online part of this.

Well, you didn't really miss that much. I tried it a bit, but after Black Ops, it felt just too simplistic...So in this case, single player > online.

Well, you didn't really miss that much. I tried it a bit, but after Black Ops, it felt just too simplistic...So in this case, single player > online.

Really? :hmm: I played a decent bit of the online and while it could be improved in some ways (levelling up quicker would be nice!), I still had plenty of fun.

@Fierce_LiNk if you browse back through this thread, @welsh_gamer posted up some custom controls. I, and pretty much everyone else, used his recommended set up. Check it out. :awesome:

I'll check the control shit later.

Fuuuuck, that second Severnaya level (in the bunker...thing) was amaaaazing. Very atmospheric. I jumped in the first 10 seconds when a part of the wall breaks/cables spark. Also, escaping from it was pretty tense. Loved how frantic it all seemed.

Then, that was followed up with the gorgeous archives level.

I wish there were a few more cinematics between each level. It seems like "well done, now here's your next mission." Aside from that, it's amazing.

@Fierce_LiNk We need to conspire to create a super being composed of some of the very best Wii games that most people acknowledge are good but do not nearly emphasise how super-awesome we know they are.

I'm thinking GoldenEye, I'm thinking Shattered Memories, I'm thinking Excite Truck. I'm thinking Other M. I'm thinking Little King's Story.

Who else wants to join the master race?

@Fierce_LiNk We need to conspire to create a super being composed of some of the very best Wii games that most people acknowledge are good but do not nearly emphasise how super-awesome we know they are.

I'm thinking GoldenEye, I'm thinking Shattered Memories, I'm thinking Excite Truck. I'm thinking Other M. I'm thinking Little King's Story.

There's going to be a 'Your Wii Top __* thread and feature on the horizon, that'll be your chance to let the world know about such greatness.

Just the little matter of Skyward Sword for people to play first *although I'll have to wait until Christmas or beyond dammit* but yeah, get thinking!

Goldeneye..? Shattered Memories..? Excite Truck..? Other M..? I'm down with that :yay: I'm also prepared to add Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros Treasure, Punch-Out!! and Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Skies to that list, if they qualify :heh:

I haven't played Little King's Story so left it out intentionally..

Ah Zack and Wiki!! I musn't be allowed to forget that game when considering my list of Top Wii Games!

Ah Zack and Wiki!! I musn't be allowed to forget that game when considering my list of Top Wii Games!

Hopefully you'll be seeing it on the lists of most people so you won't have a chance to forget :heh:

I think I may have to play through Goldeneye again this winter on a higher difficult to help appreciate it even further :grin:

I own all of those. :D

The world especially needs to play more Shattered Memories. If we ever got some sort of sequel, like a spiritual successor, I would

FINISH.

Just picked this one up because of you guys raving about it. Not disappointed! It's absolutely fantastic. Really matches up to the sublime Rare original imho.

I had to use a control tweaking guide I found on another forum, but it really did the trick and I am now massively enjoying this. I don't know why they fluffed the default Wii remote settings out of the box. I thought the game was just broken at first. But the tweaking hugely makes the game. I wouldn't want to play it with a classic controller personally.

Thanks for the heads up on this one dudes. Marvellous. :)

Just picked this one up because of you guys raving about it. Not disappointed! It's absolutely fantastic. Really matches up to the sublime Rare original imho.

I had to use a control tweaking guide I found on another forum, but it really did the trick and I am now massively enjoying this. I don't know why they fluffed the default Wii remote settings out of the box. I thought the game was just broken at first. But the tweaking hugely makes the game. I wouldn't want to play it with a classic controller personally.

Thanks for the heads up on this one dudes. Marvellous. :)

Glad you're enjoying it! :D

There's a control setup somewhere back in this thread aswell, which is what I used and most others here. Yeah it plays completely differently afterwards!

And like I tell everyone else... don't forget you can tilt the nunchuck to lean out of cover... I don't think the game ever informs you about this does it?

What difficulty have you gone for?

Glad you're enjoying it! :D

There's a control setup somewhere back in this thread aswell, which is what I used and most others here. Yeah it plays completely differently afterwards!

And like I tell everyone else... don't forget you can tilt the nunchuck to lean out of cover... I don't think the game ever informs you about this does it?

What difficulty have you gone for?

I didn't know about the tilt to lean. No, it doesn't tell you anything about that. :confused: Why omit that from the tutorial?

Anyway, I've gone for super-easy wuss-Bond level. Don't hate me for that. I'm notoriously crap at FPS games. However, I'm definitely noticing that I'm getting better the more I play, so I'll up it when I'm ready. :)

What do people think of this game now that it isn't new anymore?

I personaly enjoyed the singleplayer the first time around, but now I just don't have any urge at all to play through it again. The game suffers heavily from inheriting CoD's linear level design which caters for cinematic gaming experiences, but kills replayability.

The multiplayer isn't what I expected either. This game is clearly built on the CoD engine, and supposed to remind people of Goldeneye. So I can't for the life of me understand why the classic mode, which is in CoD, didn't make it in to the Goldeneye multiplayer. Also, you can only choose your skin in local multiplayer.

This christmas I played Goldeneye for the N64 and the game impressed me way more than the Wiimake. Goldeneye had more unlockables. I mean, the only unlockable I'm aware of is a higher difficulty setting. That's WEAK. In Goldeneye, there was a two page list of cheats.

There are pluses, however. The graphics are on par with what you can expect on the Wii and the controls are solid.

I still enjoy the game very much actually.

Graphically, I still think it's one of the high points of the Wii on a technical level - the Severnaya level in the snow being a particular highpoint.

I'm not fussed about the cheats as to be fair, I often found having them on in the original game actually removed the fun from the tightly constructed single player mode.

I haven't played online in yonks, and never got to try offline multiplayer, but I still go back and play the single player levels... except streets again :p

I understand your point about a reliance on set pieces leading to an increase in linearity and reduced replayablity but I've not been particularly exposed to FPS games lately so it's easier for me to let it slide. It strikes me that in this thread, all the people that praise this game don't have much to compare it too. Those that know all the FPS games backwards, like Zechs and Kav82, appreaciate this game for what it does but know there other games handling the different aspects better than this. For the rest of us, we wanted a familiar name, that wasn't CoD, to get us to pick up a pistol again and we got an solid, if not remarkable by the genres standard, game - but that's all we wanted.

Does anyone want to post decent control settings for me to use? I tried playing this game again yesterday after ages and found it completely unplayable. It's unbelievable how bad the default controls are. I tried playing around with the settings but it was all bad :(

This is what I use, works great

Go to the Wii's controller settings on the GoldenEye menu, and click Customize.

Go into cursor settings and do the following;

Set the deadzone to 15 above, 35 across.

Set the maximum turn to 100 (which is default)

Set the horizontal speed to 30

Set the verticle speed to 9

Set the cursor sensitivity to MAXIMUM.

Now go into the ADS options, and do the following;

Set the deadzone to 17 above, 17 across.

Set the maximum turn to 90 above, 90 across.

Set the horizontal speed to 20

Set the verticle speed to 10

Set the cursor sensitivity to MAXIMUM.

Now exit those options, and set the camera to; Wii Remote Turning, and turn 'Look' OFF.

Have the Auto re-centre and Turn while cursor off-screen settings ON.

If that's ^ the control setup that was posted earlier in the thread when the game came out, then yeah I also used those from the start and the game played BRILLIANTLY!

I've not finished it, but it's quite a fun little game. I underestimated it completely, and am happy to admit that.

Not a huge fan of shooters, but this was interesting and fun to play, and a nice re-imagining of the original. It doesn't try to out-do, it goes about it in a completely different way. More like it compliments the original.

Haven't tried multiplayer yet.