NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Nintenchris

360 hard drive - a third smaller than advertised?

Stolen from Gamesradar.

Owners could be disappointed by a lack of usable space

Xbox 360 owners are being left puzzled by an apparent missing 7GB from their hard drives.

The Xbox 360 hard drive is certainly 20GB in total, but players can never access more than 13GB of storage space - just two thirds of the stated size.

Obviously some space will always be required by the operating system, as true of everything from iPods to desktop computers, but it's rarely such a high proportion.

The Windows XP operating system for PC, for instance, uses less than 2GB of hard disk space.

While there's no doubt that 360s hard drive is indeed the claimed size, its effective, usable capacity is actually only 65% of that. This could become more problematic as large files, such as high-definition movies, become more common.

Out of the box, Xbox 360 has only 12GB of free space, but it's possible to free another gigabyte by deleting the demo movies and music.

We're currently waiting for a statement from Microsoft regarding this. As soon as we hear anything, we'll let you know.

i am pretty sure hdd do not have the amount of space as advertised, i.e

i have a 160gb hdd, but in windows its 152gb max, but from 20gig to 13gig thats quite odd,

thank god i did not buy a xbox 360 at lauch, since there are tons of probs with it, its like the thompson drive scandal all over again

I think I read somewhere that about six gig of it is hidden away for game files and stuff. The thirteen gig it shows you is the space that you can store your other stuff, and then theres a bit left for system files and the emulators and stuff.

Yep your left with about 12GB from the start, but i think you can delete the stuff already on the Hard-Drive! Theres quite a few songs i like already stored on it, so i'm not too bothered, still it's a bit unfair that they have taken 8GB away...

:wink:

thank god i did not buy a xbox 360 at lauch, since there are tons of probs with it, its like the thompson drive scandal all over again

That's a bit of an exaggeration, out of all the people I know who got a 360 (and that's getting into hundreds) only one had a problem with it, and MS have already taken it back and will have replaced it by the end of the week.

Yerp, i know of no one with a problem. Theirs quite a few people from here who are always on 360 live. Tis great stuf.

Dunno wots with the HD tho, i thought it was weird wen i first turned it on and had a look, im sure theyll release bigger HD's if theyre needed tho.

I bet you money on it, 7GB is saved for XBOX1 game cache's. Although this might seem weirdly large amount. It probably makes sense, also the emulation stuff might be alot larger than you think.

Stolen from Gamesradar.

Owners could be disappointed by a lack of usable space

Xbox 360 owners are being left puzzled by an apparent missing 7GB from their hard drives.

The Xbox 360 hard drive is certainly 20GB in total, but players can never access more than 13GB of storage space - just two thirds of the stated size.

Obviously some space will always be required by the operating system, as true of everything from iPods to desktop computers, but it's rarely such a high proportion.

The Windows XP operating system for PC, for instance, uses less than 2GB of hard disk space.

While there's no doubt that 360s hard drive is indeed the claimed size, its effective, usable capacity is actually only 65% of that. This could become more problematic as large files, such as high-definition movies, become more common.

Out of the box, Xbox 360 has only 12GB of free space, but it's possible to free another gigabyte by deleting the demo movies and music.

We're currently waiting for a statement from Microsoft regarding this. As soon as we hear anything, we'll let you know.

Any more digs of the 360 you wanna make :\

I think I read somewhere that about six gig of it is hidden away for game files and stuff. The thirteen gig it shows you is the space that you can store your other stuff, and then theres a bit left for system files and the emulators and stuff.

What I actually meant by this, was that six gig or so is reserved for saved games and the like. Doesn't this seem like a reasonable answer?

Any more digs of the 360 you wanna make :\

I didnt actualy say anything... i stole the whole artical from gamesradar

A whole stacks of space on mine seems to have been taken up with a load of videos that I cant actually play...definitely not the 7GB, but there are loads of pre-loaded bits on there. I imagine the emulator files are on there someplace too, but I cant actually view them on my HD.

________

BARRA ENGINE

Edited by Johelian

Sign in to follow this