NEurope
mcj metroid

Sonic Colours

-Why is there an orange/yellow striped squid?

It's Tails in 'squid' form I betcha... nothing they put into Sonic games would surprise me these days.

From my understanding, the orange/yellow squid thing is just another wisp thing. They have various colours that give Sonic powerups by rescuing them/collecting them.

The name is horrendous, but it could be fun. Power-ups seem like a fitting gimmick that can be part of the gameplay without interrupting it (unlike stupid Swords and warehog bits).

a gimmick in sonic that doesn't interupt gameplay? Only sonic cd's time travel comes to mind... that kinda worked.

but I've seen it all with sonic games..

3-way teams( sonic heroes),

double teams( sonic advance 3, akthough this wasn't too bad either),

swords(sonic and the black knight),

wiimote(sonic and the secret rings),

werewolf( sonic unleashed),

guns( shadow)

every single time sonic steers clear of the gameplay and does anything ELSE it makes a balls of things..

even little examples like treaure hunting and that mining cart level in sonic 4 looks horrendous too.

Somehow something about lazers doesn't brighten my spirits when it comes to sonic colours( also awful name) :D

Colours? In my Sonic? Fuck off, I'm gonna go play Shadow the Hedgehog and rape some orphans.

Who needs colours when you can be all MOODY WITH BROWNS?

Colours? In my Sonic? Fuck off, I'm gonna go play Shadow the Hedgehog and rape some orphans.

Who needs colours when you can be all MOODY WITH BROWNS?

So relevant :D

Prepare for another Sonic based disaster. I'm not the world's greatest businessman, but if I were SEGA...

NINTENDO EXEC 1: Ooooh look, lots of people who haven't played games for years are buying the Wii and they all remember how cool the home console 2D Mario Games were. Let's release one.

NINTENDO EXEC 2: That's a great idea, we'll reintroduce simple 2D fun to the world. A classic Mario game just like SMB3, on a disk and sold at retail. Everyone will love it!

A few months later...

NINTENDO EXECS: Wow, we've sold nearly 15 million copies of New Super Mario Bros. Let's all go and swim in the golden, champagne filled swimming pool that we built in out offices where the toilet paper is MONEY!!!

Meanwhile, at SEGA...

SEGA EXEC 1: Oooh look all our 3D Sonic games are crap. Look at what Nintendo have done with New Super Mario Bros, remember people used to love the classic 2D Sonic games.

SEGA EXEC 2: But wait, let's not make a full classic 2D game put it on a disk and succeed like Nintendo. Let's make Sonic 4, make it for download only and release it in episodes.

SEGA EXEC 1: Wow that's a great idea, also let's release another Sonic game at the same time that will be full of gimmicks and be muddy the water and confuse the consumer.

SEGA EXEC 2: That's a great idea!

You forgot the part where Nintendo have cemented Mario's position as a "casual gamer-friendly" game (I'm not saying it's a casual game, just that they've made the casual gamers think so). Plus, Mario suits a huge amounts of levels whereas Sonic wouldn't feel right with 40-odd levels - people would really complain about the length of the game if it was on a disc.

What's so bad about the name? At least it's spelt right, unlike the Gameboy Color :heh:

Would people hate me if I change the title to accurately reflect the game's spelling? :p

If you really want to, you can replace the trailer in the first post with this one:

so... sonic 4 has been delayed. Well that's good news anyway, as it was fans would be been disappointed.

and ya sonic colours....great

The last few pages feature a good interview though. it's nice to do he at least knows one of the reasons why sonic has lost his way.

Edited by mcj metroid

scans look awesome, really think this game is a spiritual successor to sonic unleashed where the daytime levels where great(in my eyes what sonic needs to be in 3d).

Definately more optimistic about this game... could be the first Sonic game I buy since Sonic Adventure 2!

Has anyone else noticed that both the Nintendo Power writer and the developer are saying "Dr. Robotnik"?

Definately more optimistic about this game... could be the first Sonic game I buy since Sonic Adventure 2!
Sonic and the Secret Rings is really enjoyable, considering the price it's consistently going for you can't go wrong.
Has anyone else noticed that both the Nintendo Power writer and the developer are saying "Dr. Robotnik"?
Yup. I never liked Dr Eggman.

I love the part about "fun, up-tempo music that will really get players' blood pumping"! <3

This could be pretty good, let's just hope they know what the fanbase want.

More inter-species relationships.

Sounds good, I think. They're definitely basing it more on Unleashed Day Stages, and that was really fun.

Um.... I'm so glad I don't work there any more.

Sega?

Fuck 10 characters..

The last few pages feature a good interview though. it's nice to do he at least knows one of the reasons why sonic has lost his way.

Anything that comes out of Iizuka's mouth is bullshit. This guy was in charge for Sonic Adventure, Adventure 2, Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, probably Sonic Unleashed, The Sonic Rivals games on PSP and I think had at least had some hand or another in everything else.

He likes to act like he's an innocent party and interviews like to mention his "involvement" with Sonic 3 and Knuckles (and he certainly didn't have a HUGE role), but the truth is he's actually had a controlling hand in the series ever since it went to shit.

Sonic and the Secret Rings is really enjoyable, considering the price it's consistently going for you can't go wrong.
I have tried SatSR but I didn't like the controls, or pacing tbh.

I've had to argue for Sonic and the Secret Rings a ton of times but it's impossible to judge that game on any less than like 4-5 hours of play.

The reason? You "upgrade" the controls themselves significantly as the game progresses, making Sonic accelerate faster, turn far more smoothly and navigate the levels in a far more fluid manner, gaining the ability to do things like cancel a jump in midair, instantly hit the ground again and continue running at full pace. Also, the ability to backflip effortlessly to easily reverse.

It was a bad design decision to make you have to earn good controls, but the game's initial impact is very misleading.

By the end you can gain the ability to create a very artistic flow through levels which involves a lot of strategy and is very rewarding when you manage to complete goals from it.

Edited by James McGeachie