NEurope
CoolFunkMan

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Your actions caused your team to be killed, right? And they're safe and sound by your side... That's the one I got too... seems there's a lot of people getting it. Bah.

Yup, that's the one.

I managed to unlock my Veteran achievement this morning. I just replayed the whole of the 3rd level on veteran and once it was done I got my reward. Apparently a few others are having this problem aswell and it could be caused by saving and quitting midlevel. I guess you have to do each level in one sitting to be safe.

Well I've safely missed the hype for this game and to be honest not that bothered! I got caught up in MW2 and didn't get all that much into the multiplayer despite what I've just said I am curious is there anything about this one that would draw me in?

Edited by flameboy

I picked this up yesterday while doing some shopping at Sainsburys.

My mate was telling me about the currency system and some of the new modes, got me pretty excited.

HMV will give you Blops for £8 if you trade in New Vegas... or at least they were doing that on launch day. Maybe not any more...ß

Better, but missing the spark IW have in my opinion.

I'll play more though.

So it's not back up to CoD4 quality?

So it's not back up to CoD4 quality?

If you mean singleplayer... I haven't played it, but that's impossible.

As for the multiplayer, it's almost as good, with some new toys.

HMV will give you Blops for £8 if you trade in New Vegas... or at least they were doing that on launch day. Maybe not any more...ß

Was no longer in the offer, Medal of Honor was the only game for that offer now.

I went to the local small branch shop and got it for £20.99 with the New Vegas trade in.

Forget 'bout it, I had never looked into people's gamercards... and I thought yours was ridiculously high... that is till I saw some others. Disregard previous comment.

Ok...

Just looked on google and the world record holider for highest Gamerscore has passed 500,000!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104447-Worlds-Biggest-Gamerscore-Breaks-500-000

I plan on trading in Fallout New Vegas, anyone know the best trade in deal on it?

I think ASDA had a trade in offer if you bought Black Ops for games that were in their chart, that might have only been a launch day offer though, maybe worth having a look!

Ok...

Just looked on google and the world record holider for highest Gamerscore has passed 500,000!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104447-Worlds-Biggest-Gamerscore-Breaks-500-000

I think ASDA had a trade in offer if you bought Black Ops for games that were in their chart, that might have only been a launch day offer though, maybe worth having a look!

Bit late for that now. If I could have waited till Sunday I would have done. Thanks for the heads up though, might help others. ;3

Bit late for that now. If I could have waited till Sunday I would have done. Thanks for the heads up though, might help others. ;3

Oh yeah, would have helped if i read your post above mine before posting! lol.

Whilst I generally like a lot of the changes Treyarch have made to multiplayer, the way everyone moves around almost silently is ruining my game. I've always made extensive use of sound to get an early warning of when people are approaching, and from which direction, but in Black Ops it's like everyone has Ninja equipped even when they don't.

I don't have the twitchiest aim, I don't find it fun to sprint around the map stabbing people like a loon, but the skill set I have been nurturing — keeping an eye on the radar, listening for any incongruous sounds so that I can be in a good position to get the jump on someone — has been more or less neutered. And I'm not sure why.

Sometimes when I buy a game and play it, I have this sinking feeling like: Oh damn, I wish I hadn't removed the seal on this game.

This game just feels inferior to MW2. It's the same system, but with nothing new. If anything, it feels like it came out a year or two before MW2. Visually it's less impressive, audibly less impressive, story and characters are less compelling, the action is more straightforward. I'm only a couple of levels so I may change my mind but I'm really not feeling this yet.

Also I'm hating how they've somehow managed to make an already linear system even more linear. I try and take cover by a rock, I die instantly and get the message "hide behind the coal cart". I try and explore a room, I fade to black: "you're not following the escape plan". Why don't they just save my thumbs some effort and make it on-rails?

The multiplayer/zombies may redeem it for me, we'll see :)

It's just part of the slow decline of CoD in my opinion. I'm in Nam in the single player and I'm really not loving it at all. At the moment definitely CoD4 > CoD2 > WaW > CoD > MW2 > CoD3 > BO. Still, trade in value should be high.

Why are people giving a shit about the campaign? Every Cod campaign has been tremendously average slash boring.

I completed this the other day and for the record, the campaign is brilliant - better than Modern Warfare in my opinion. Loved it.

Online multiplayer is the usual okay, i never really get into it much. The zombies i played one round with some foreigners who all died on the first dog round and then i got ganked :( But the zombie mode seems addictive as ever and i look forward to playing it with some mates later on.

What really surprised me though was Dead Ops, what a great little game that is!

Overall, i like it a lot. Didn't disappoint me like Modern Warfare 2 did.

Played another half hour tonight, the first time since yesterday afternoon, and I'm getting into it (multiplayer, haven't and will not, touch the single player) much more than before. Very similar to MW2 but not as good. I've only played a lot of the levels once so can't comment too much but from a first impression a lot of the level design is a lot better than MW2. Need to play a bit more though.

Shorty; what do you think about the online side of things? That's pretty much the only potential reason why I'd get Blops (props to whoever came up with that name!)... but the mixed reviews make me think I will just wait 6-9 months and get it for half the price.

People trading in New Vegas... madness. Essentially you bought that AND Blops for, what, £60? £30 a game... just so you could play it asap. I'll probably end up getting both for £30. So nyer.

The zombies i played one round with some foreigners who all died on the first dog round and then i got ganked :( But the zombie mode seems addictive as ever and i look forward to playing it with some mates later on.

Yeah, the zombie mode is great. The highest round me and my mates have got to is 11. We still haven't found a decent place to camp in the later rounds though.

I jumped online for a bit of multiplayer action earlier and im quite enjoying it. There seems to be a massive decline in the amount of people camping on this, which is always a good thing IMO. Most of the time people seem to be just running and gunning, which totally suits my style of play. :D

I kind of understand the 'mehs' being thrown around in relation to the single player campaign and I'll admit, I've yet to come across a level or moment so poignant as to make me want to replay it. Granted, I'm probably half way through at most and still have quite a lot left to play so there could be something to come which grabs me but I think while employing a unique story telling device, Treyarch have perhaps gone a little overboard with it as rather than coming together to feel all part of the same story, it just feels like confined events that share some of the characters.

As I say, something could grab me later on. Having play the other 3 big FPSs this year (Battlefield Bad Company 2, Halo: Reach and Medal of Honor), I'd say the single player probably isn't the worst of the games (if I had to rank them, it'd be Halo: Reach > Blops > B:BC2 > MoH) but I'd definitely say I've not had a moment as daunting or eye opening as two particular moments in Medal of Honor, which contrary to what some people are saying (mainly people who haven't actually played the game) is actually pretty decent, or anything as particularly standout as anything in Reach.

As for online, while I thought the RC was a nice inclusion when announced, it's now one of the most annoying things in an online shooter yet.

People trading in New Vegas... madness. Essentially you bought that AND Blops for, what, £60? £30 a game... just so you could play it asap. I'll probably end up getting both for £30. So nyer.

For me it isn't about getting Black Ops ASAP, since I've never been much of a fan of COD, it's about playing something that won't freeze/glitch up every hour and break up the gameplay, plus without save points I'm never good at saving so having to re-tread the same ground and find the same locations over and over gets tedious and begins to not be fun, when the game drops in price and there are more patches out I'll re-buy, since I did enjoy New Vegas.

Whilst I generally like a lot of the changes Treyarch have made to multiplayer, the way everyone moves around almost silently is ruining my game. I've always made extensive use of sound to get an early warning of when people are approaching, and from which direction, but in Black Ops it's like everyone has Ninja equipped even when they don't.

I don't have the twitchiest aim, I don't find it fun to sprint around the map stabbing people like a loon, but the skill set I have been nurturing — keeping an eye on the radar, listening for any incongruous sounds so that I can be in a good position to get the jump on someone — has been more or less neutered. And I'm not sure why.

I know what you mean about the 'inbuilt ninja' as I play with headphones, and listening for footsteps was a real part of my run and gun gameplay. Anyways, some reckon that Treyarch will listen to complaints about the sound and address it in a future patch so heres hoping. For now, I wont be using ninja in any of my setups.

On the , online multiplayer is still a bit of a joke. Stuttering throughout, with some servers possessing what I call UBER lag where the game runs in slow motion. Everyone experiences it so its fair, but it's bloody ridiculous.

And then there are some signs that show that this game is lacking some real polish. Bugs like the game somehow forgetting that I already bought 7 layers to edit my playcard (w/e it's called) and now if I want to edit it, I need to buy them again along with anything else that I used. The game still refuses to record my matches. Annoying. And then little things like the images for perks being horribly stretched at times as if the image was originally way too small, and the exp bar overfilling to the point where its telling me i need -6400 points to level.

All that said, I still plan on playing as much of it as I can these coming few days. The maps are class. Much better than MW2. I think it has really changed the way some people are playing. And some of the killstreaks are genius like that dogs. Really want to get that in a care package drop soon.

And haven't touched single player. Not sure I will as I never did in MW2, and haven't played a COD before that. These days, FPS games are all about the online multiplayer for me.