NEurope
CoolFunkMan

Call of Duty: Black Ops

The campaign in this game is ass. Boring, frustrating, confusing, badly designed levels with a heapful of bad AI on top just for good measure. The game also forces you t run and gun way too often, with some sections being impossible to get past without a kamikaze run at the enemy. CBA to play any more tonight. Might go back to it in the morning, might just trade it in for New Vegas. Can't decide.

I'd give it maybe a 6/10 so far. It's a decent looking game and I'm intrigued to see how this story is going to end. Still the worst FPS I've played all year though. Roll on Bad Company 2: Vietnam!

I wonder how much all of those 90% plus reviews cost Activision? Or did reviewers get sent a different game?

Edited by McPhee

story and characters are less compelling, the action is more straightforward. I'm only a couple of levels so I may change my mind but I'm really not feeling this yet.

Then it must be terrible, 'coz the singleplayer portion of MW2 was pretty mediocre.

Why are people giving a shit about the campaign? Every Cod campaign has been tremendously average slash boring.

4 is one of the best singleplayer action FPS games ever made. And the russian campaign on WaW is also quite brilliant, to say the least (although I really hated the US campaign on that one). 3 and MW2 campaigns do indeed fall short.

EDIT:

Holy fucking shit... I just unlocked the AK47 (38). You know how it's always been a great gun, both in MW and MW2? Well, it just got even better. Dear lord, I do believe I'm in love.

Only 12 more levels to go and I can stop playing on Headquarters and shit for exp and focus on playing right. Hells yeah!

Edited by Oxigen_Waste
Because it's good.

I started the campaign, it's alright, I'm going in on hardened, died 3 times during the first part of the campaign, online I struggle to even out on my K/D spread, so I decided I'd aim for that rather then score as high as possible.

Shorty; what do you think about the online side of things? That's pretty much the only potential reason why I'd get Blops (props to whoever came up with that name!)... but the mixed reviews make me think I will just wait 6-9 months and get it for half the price.

Aesthetically it's worse than MW2. There are some nice tweaks, but also some unbalanced weapons (flamethrower? wtf.) and the spawning is fucking terrible. Also the maps aren't very interesting and all seem to have the same "dark grey" base palette.

After playing CoD:BO, I feel like putting MW2 back in to remind myself how much more polished the series can be.

the spawning is fucking terrible.

The map Nuketown is a perfect example of this. Because there's only two real spawn areas that can be used due to the size and nature of the map forcing confrontation, many times you'll spawn on one side and have enemy character either right on you or virtually spawning a couple of metres away.

Saying that though, I do think Nuketown is the best of what's available map-wise so far. But then, the rest of the map selection that I've managed to see hasn't been particularly great. As bored as I got with MW2, it definitely has better maps so far for online.

Sounds like I'll give this a miss! I'll probably nip back to MW2 if I'm up late tonight and get my ass handed to me as I iron out some creases.

I was really looking forward to the whole currency/contracts system, but it sounds like that's being overshadowed by a game that was clearly rushed to meet its release date. Major patch to hit before xmas, if there's justice in teh world!

What's the difficulty like then on veteran?

MW2 Veteran was significantly easier then MW and W@W Veteran so just wondering where this stands.

I first played the MW2 campaign on hardened, I've also started at the same level on Blops.

I'd say Blops was harder.

It occurred to me a while back that if you go for 100% achievements/platinum trophy, there's rarely any point in playing the medium-hard difficulty (hardened, heroic etc). The game is typically more frustrating than it would be on Normal, and if you're going to play on Veteran/Legendary/Insanity/God Mode etc. later you'll usually get all the achievements for the difficulty below anyway.

You need to play to unlock Veteran.

So far I like the game. My main issue is the general roughness that IW avoid. The other issue is 1 year is a bit soon? Online feels like an expansion rather than a sequel in many ways. Dont care about the single player side of fps anyway. This one is the same as the others. Weak single player gameplay but great scripted sequences.

Black Ops Opening Day Crushes Avatar, Halo And Everything Else

About 5.6 million people bought copies of Call of Duty: Black Ops in North America and the United Kingdom on Tuesday, when the game went on sale.

That makes it the largest entertainment launch in history. And Black Ops is not just a popular game. It's a very popular game. More popular than Modern Warfare 2 was one year ago, its creators said today.

Activision executive Thomas Tippl told an audience of investors in New York that Black Ops has sold $360 million worth of copies in its first 24 hours of release in North America and the U.K. this week, compared to $310 million in the first day of release for Modern Warfare 2 a year ago. Modern Warfare 2 sold a mere 4.7 million copies.

http://kotaku.com/5687361/black-ops-opening-day-crushes-avatar-halo-and-everything-else

Good for them!

Incorrect. I heard they actually only sold 13 copies.

It says so on a forum I frequent, one you also visit a lot too.

So check your statements before posting them as fact.

Surprised to see so much negativity for this game, I for one am really enjoying it. It feels like a lot more care and attention has gone in to this game than Modern Warfare 2 and Treyarch have tried and succeeded at showing how good FPS games can be. I loved the story for the campaign and thought it was fresh enough throughout to stop me getting bored and the online system is as good as it ever was. Really, if you enjoyed MW2, you're going to enjoy Blops.

Or so I reckon, anyway!

I really like the multiplayer, much better than MW2, imo. Feels fairer and more balanced, and the maps are better. On the singleplayer campaign, i have to admit, after the first 5 missions, it's quite boring...it's a case of been there done that. Shoot loads of never ending spawning enemies/shoot with mounted machine gun. In MW2, i actually enjoyed the singleplayer. The story was so over the top, and kinda crap, but it was enjoyable.

IMO, regarding singleplayer: MW2 >> Blops

multiplayer: Blops >> MW2

online I struggle to even out on my K/D spread, so I decided I'd aim for that rather then score as high as possible.

Until I hit 50, all I care about is scoring high. When I hit 50, I concentrate on playing good. Meaning that my K/D ratio is now sitting at 0.6 or sumthin. Ah!

Aesthetically it's worse than MW2. There are some nice tweaks, but also some unbalanced weapons (flamethrower? wtf.) and the spawning is fucking terrible. Also the maps aren't very interesting and all seem to have the same "dark grey" base palette.

After playing CoD:BO, I feel like putting MW2 back in to remind myself how much more polished the series can be.

I know what you mean with asthetically, it does that lack that "something" that IW can give it's games... As for unbalanced weapons, I don't really think that's true... and if there are one or two, well then, it's better than 18 overpowered weapons like in MW2. I don't see how the spawning is any different from any other COD game... plus, if you're that unhappy about it, there's always the tactical insertion (which no longer means you'll be without grenades, mind).

The maps are twice as good as MW2, don't give me that bullshit (and the "dark grey" and brown palette is pretty much a standard for all COD games, you biased gentleman, you).

:D

But it does "feel" weird.

I'm honestly thinking of rebuying MW2 and World at War after quickly selling Black Ops. I'm not really feeling it, I've had more fun on the past two..

I don't see how the spawning is any different from any other COD game... plus, if you're that unhappy about it, there's always the tactical insertion (which no longer means you'll be without grenades, mind).

The maps are twice as good as MW2, don't give me that bullshit (and the "dark grey" and brown palette is pretty much a standard for all COD games, you biased gentleman, you).

:D

But it does "feel" weird.

Absolute stroke of genius! Will have to remember to set this up on one of my setups.

You need to play to unlock Veteran.

Not true. My mate played through it on Veteran first time through.

What's the difficulty like then on veteran?

MW2 Veteran was significantly easier then MW and W@W Veteran so just wondering where this stands.

I just finished on Veteran today and I would say it lands in the middle on MW2 and WaW in terms of difficulty level. The first few levels are a little tough due to the return of respawning enemies but as the game progress there are less of these and you will start to breeze through it. The 2nd half is much easier than the 1st.

Loving it online,think it's better than MW2 and maybe on a par with COD4, the kill streaks don't seem way over powered and a genuinely fun. The RC Car isn't as much of an ass a people made out, just shoot it. eh.

The wager matches are a right treat, Sticks and Stone's is so much fun just going round with ballistic knives and crossbow, so gutting when someone hit's you with a tomahawk and you go back to 0 :( It ensures someone is always changing at the top of the leaderboard.

As for the guns it's good to see sway has returned to them making sure you control your guns better and the decoy grenade that makes gun noise his hilarious, I get caught out by them all the time and go look at the map for the orange dot then get shot in the back :(

I LOVE IT.

Oh what happened the the care package bug, not seen anyone use it yet.....

Edited by James

Loving it online,think it's better than MW2 and maybe on a par with COD4, the kill streaks don't seem way over powered and a genuinely fun. The RC Car isn't as much of an ass a people made out, just shoot it. eh.

The wager matches are a right treat, Sticks and Stone's is so much fun just going round with ballistic knives and crossbow, so gutting when someone hit's you with a tomahawk and you go back to 0 :( It ensures someone is always changing at the top of the leaderboard.

As for the guns it's good to see sway has returned to them making sure you control your guns better and the decoy grenade that makes gun noise his hilarious, I get caught out by them all the time and go look at the map for the orange dot then get shot in the back :(

I LOVE IT.

Oh what happened the the care package bug, not seen anyone use it yet.....

I had great fun on Sticks and Stone's earlier. Was in a great game with a couple of English lads and we were having a good laugh about it. Lots of swear words being thrown about which makes it even more enjoyable. Gotta love it when someone gets humiliated in the dying seconds of a game!

I won a Sticks and Stones game last night thanks to a Tomahawk in the last 5 seconds - epic :D

Respawning enemies are a pain in the ass, nearly threw my pad in frustration, escaping through the tunnels after blowing up the shuttle, I get trapped in one of the corridors and kept dying because I'd get the last guy and a few more would show up almost right away. I'm only on hardened, though I am a COD noob.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

Regarding Wager matches, I really think there should be 4 tiers... One with a 100 buy in is really missing... 10 is just ridiculous.