N-Europe

Your favorite word

Oxigen_Waste

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Facetious....partially because it has got every vowel in it, in order, but also because I'm always being facetious

Also, if you want to be a pedant who wishes to include y as a vowel, you could have facetiously, as in "Joe is acting facetiously"

Classical Ainu aejajkotujmasiramsujpa - "I keep swaying my heart afar and toward myself." (with applicative voice, i.e. the swaying must be done over something explicitly stated).

Russian yabloko - "apple."

Japanese gyakuten - often translated as "turn-around," but it's closer to Kuhn's term "paradigm shift."

Yup'ik Inuit tuntussuqatarniksaitengqiggtuq - "He had not yet said again that he was going to hunt raindeer."

I'll post some others if I remember them or where to re-look them up. And I'm sure there are some good English ones that I can't think of at the moment.

I've got a fondness of the word Excellent, for some reason. I think it looks nice when written down, and it just sounds lovely to say. Also, it makes me think of Bill and Ted!

Another one is Professional, where my Mum was ranting and raving a few months ago and called somebody a "Professional Bastard." I never laughed so much in my life. Gained so much more love for that word since that day. Hahahah.

I prefer cunting to straight forward cunt.

But if we're going for foreign:

Italian - sbaglio (mistake) as it rolls off the tongue quite nicely. And sounds like a kids cereal.

Japanese - kamikakushi ('hidden by gods' / spirited away) which again just rolls off the tongue nicely.