NEurope
Diageo

Internet not as fast as it should be

I recently switched from a 4mb Smart Telecom broadband to a 15mb NTL boradband.

But besides the internet speed test saying its faster, it seems to be slower, sometimes pages time out and don't open. When connecting the DS, it randomly disconnects and Vuze now has yellow and blue smiley faces instead of the normal green ones.

Anything I can do to try and fix it?

On paper being cable it SHOULD be faster... but do you mean Virgin? instead of NTL? As far as I know from my connection back home there is some traffic shaping around the afternoon time but its not as bad as some.

If it is traffic shaping, there isnt much you can do about that I guess...

Edited by AeroScap

No it's NTL alright, in Ireland. UPC really.

I tried a test at pingtest.net and it says I have 90 - 98% packet loss, and sometimes it just says errors. Pages don't open every few minutes which is annoying.

It's not so easy to determine why your internet is slower than the isp claims it will give you, and the contract will state that its not a guarantee.

I'd suggest ringing the tech support and seeing if you can get any assistance/answers.

Our internet here has been pretty pathetic since we switched from the Virgin to the Post Office. Originally we'd get a steady 1.2 meg connection but since the switch we get anywhere between 1.8meg and 120k. Rang them time and time again but they're no help, sometimes they claim its a fault with the line, sometimes its our BT exchange. Others they claim nothing is wrong at all because the speed changes.

Id love to be able to change from the Post Office but at the moment theyre the only company weve found that offers free calls to mobile phones at the weekend and my mum doesnt want to lose that.

Our internet here has been pretty pathetic since we switched from the Virgin to the Post Office. Originally we'd get a steady 1.2 meg connection but since the switch we get anywhere between 1.8meg and 120k. Rang them time and time again but they're no help, sometimes they claim its a fault with the line, sometimes its our BT exchange. Others they claim nothing is wrong at all because the speed changes.

Id love to be able to change from the Post Office but at the moment theyre the only company weve found that offers free calls to mobile phones at the weekend and my mum doesnt want to lose that.

I don't think you have to be with the Post Office for both broadband and home phone, you can go with just Post Office phone and use another company for broadband.

So I tried calling this premium service number number. But every time I do, it starts working perfectly and he tells me he can't help me while its not acting up.

Doesnt work all day, I call them, as soon as he answers ZOOM!

Happened 3 times!

Virgin are really bad for making stuff up about a problem, then our internet speeds reaching normal levels.

I once had really slow internet for around a week, 50k at most, then when i called them they said i had an out dated modem.

Arranged to send us a new one, as soon as i got off the phone it was fine..

Virgin are really bad for making stuff up about a problem, then our internet speeds reaching normal levels.

I once had really slow internet for around a week, 50k at most, then when i called them they said i had an out dated modem.

Arranged to send us a new one, as soon as i got off the phone it was fine..

I'm on virgin and for the last week or so my connection has been awful! Youtube video's taking ages to buffer and even N-Europe taking a while, I thought maybe it was my computer so I checked on my Wii and...

Awful connection. Usually I can watch a program on the BBCiplayer channel and it doesn't have to buffer once but now it has to buffer every minute or so!

I'm on virgin and for the last week or so my connection has been awful! Youtube video's taking ages to buffer and even N-Europe taking a while, I thought maybe it was my computer so I checked on my Wii and...

Awful connection. Usually I can watch a program on the BBCiplayer channel and it doesn't have to buffer once but now it has to buffer every minute or so!

The n-europe site seems have hiccups for me, so i won't base my connection standard on that.

I haven't been able to stream video in months, not from the mainstream sources atleast. Youtube sometimes just stop loading, i have leave BBC iPlayer to buffer ATLEAST halfway before i start watching or i catch up.

Appalling is the first thing that comes to mind.

With being at work from 9-5:30 with a 40 minute drivwe to add on to both sides i don't get much time to complain at them.`