NEurope
Dante

iPhone 4/iOS4

So I got an iPad.

I know I used to berate them saying I couldn't think of a decent use for them but I love it already and have inly had it since yesterday! It's not going to replace my laptop but just for casual browsing in bed or in the living room when I've been in the library all day on the laptop it is perfect. 'Friendly' is a great iPad facebook which has everything I need, although push notifications for chat would be good.

It's also going tobe great for the business as the battery life is fantastic, can take it out with me all day and not worry about the battery dying on me. Actually getting used to typing on it too (using it now) and can go pretty quickly already. Got a case on it's way so I'll be able to take it out and about. Splashed out on a decent one which is leather and can hold it at various angles both landscape and portrait so I can easily type and also watch films etc whilst travelling.

£405 for the 16gb 3G & WiFi I think using the deal on hotdealsuk for viking direct. 15% off and 8% cash back from Topcashback.

ipod question here but its still iOS4 right? Just got my new 4th gen 8GB ipod touch but how come when I plug into itunes it says its capacity is only 6.5GB is there really 1.5GB of stuff OS/firmware etc...on there already?!

Part of it is the difference between GB and GiB. Storage is sold in GB, Operating Systems work in GiB, the difference between the two being about 7% (or roughly half of your "missing" storage). The rest has gone to formatting and the OS.

Part of it is the difference between GB and GiB. Storage is sold in GB, Operating Systems work in GiB, the difference between the two being about 7% (or roughly half of your "missing" storage). The rest has gone to formatting and the OS.

Still bit of con to advertise things as something they aren't.... Not to say apple are the only ones...just annoying I'd made playlists etc... worked out how many podcasts, apps I would get on for my 8GB only to find myself needing to rethink!

You actually are getting an 8GB iPod Touch though, there is no con. The confusion comes from the dawn of computing, when it was deemed acceptable to term binary values with decimal names. As such, 1KB was 1024B, not 1000B as the name would suggest. This caused a problem where 1KB could be two different values, either 1000B or 1024B depending on which scale you are using. This was put right in 2005, the binary KB was renamed KiB (or kibibyte), MB became MiB or Mibibyte, and so on upwards. Now, 1000B is 1KB and 1024B is 1KiB.

So, when you are sold an 8GB iPod Touch what you get is 8 Billion bytes. What the OS sees is 7.45GiB (with the unit shown as GB), still 8 Billion bytes. The problem is the use of KB, MB, GB etc. as binary values is so engrained in society now that they can't really be dropped from common usage. While KiB, MiB, GiB etc. will become the norm in the world of computer science they are very unlikely to ever replace the old units; to do so would cause even more confusion.

You actually are getting an 8GB iPod Touch though, there is no con. The confusion comes from the dawn of computing, when it was deemed acceptable to term binary values with decimal names. As such, 1KB was 1024B, not 1000B as the name would suggest. This caused a problem where 1KB could be two different values, either 1000B or 1024B depending on which scale you are using. This was put right in 2005, the binary KB was renamed KiB (or kibibyte), MB became MiB or Mibibyte, and so on upwards. Now, 1000B is 1KB and 1024B is 1KiB.

So, when you are sold an 8GB iPod Touch what you get is 8 Billion bytes. What the OS sees is 7.45GiB (with the unit shown as GB), still 8 Billion bytes. The problem is the use of KB, MB, GB etc. as binary values is so engrained in society now that they can't really be dropped from common usage. While KiB, MiB, GiB etc. will become the norm in the world of computer science they are very unlikely to ever replace the old units; to do so would cause even more confusion.

hmmmmmm....well I'm sure there is a different way to define the capacity to the layman or how it tells you information on itunes...the two should at least match! Regardless of the science behind you shouldn't buy something that says its 8GB and displays as less/

So I got an iPad.

I know I used to berate them saying I couldn't think of a decent use for them but I love it already and have inly had it since yesterday! It's not going to replace my laptop but just for casual browsing in bed or in the living room when I've been in the library all day on the laptop it is perfect. 'Friendly' is a great iPad facebook which has everything I need, although push notifications for chat would be good.

It's also going tobe great for the business as the battery life is fantastic, can take it out with me all day and not worry about the battery dying on me. Actually getting used to typing on it too (using it now) and can go pretty quickly already. Got a case on it's way so I'll be able to take it out and about. Splashed out on a decent one which is leather and can hold it at various angles both landscape and portrait so I can easily type and also watch films etc whilst travelling.

£405 for the 16gb 3G & WiFi I think using the deal on hotdealsuk for viking direct. 15% off and 8% cash back from Topcashback.

I think this is what most people who get an iPad will find. It is the perfect 'casual' computer. You don't always want to be sat on your sofa with a laptop out. I really like the fact that I can now just sit there and look on the internet, check some email, or play some games without having to get my laptop out.

I also prefer checking my Things list, and my calendar in the morning on my iPad rather than a small iPhone. I really do find it fits in between Laptop and iPhone.

I'm looking forward to seeing some new Mac apps when the App Store opens, hopefully see a lot of creative things like the iPhone has been getting.