NEurope
Dante

iPhone 4/iOS4

I only noticed today those simplicty packages, they're incredible. I also see that ALL cpnyracts have unlimited texts, great news; I currently pay £7.50 for the unlimited text bolt-on. I reckon I'll go on the £20 monthly rolling simplicity package with my iphone - 300 mins, and unlimited texts and data, perfect and better than half the price I'm paying now.

Though need to think about the best way to get me a 32g iPhone 4...

It was nice knowing you, Android.

I don't see what this has done that other iPhone devices haven't in terms of the battle with Android.

And if you reply, "it has a front camera", etc. then you're missing my point.

Video calling has never been done very well before. This one works over WiFi so it will be smooth and sexy and you will be a handsome man with a chiseled unshaven jaw in your $500 hotel room talking to your supermodel wife. The videos don't lie man.

I don't think any other company tries to make video calling over WiFi only a major point for their phone.

Anyway, very nice design as to be expected.

Overall not very impressed as usual.

I've decided to keep my iPhone for another year and probably switch to a Droid phone unless their 5th gen model is amazingly, amazing.

Yeah all it has done (the OS) is catch up with Android a bit. Unless I'm missing something that iPhone can do that Android can't/doesn't.

Oh yeah, iAds. Damn! :heh:

I don't see what this has done that other iPhone devices haven't in terms of the battle with Android.

And if you reply, "it has a front camera", etc. then you're missing my point.

I don't think any other company tries to make video calling over WiFi only a major point for their phone.

Anyway, very nice design as to be expected.

Overall not very impressed as usual.

I've decided to keep my iPhone for another year and probably switch to a

Droid phone unless their 5th gen model is amazingly, amazing.

It has a front camera.

I think the problem is android has now got a lot of new features, which still puts it ahead.

Such as, wifi hotspot, Flash (html5 debate doesn't matter right here right now and creates more fragmentation and compatibility issues than it solves, things get worse when you consider audio) Push to phone services, V8 in the mobile browser.

I would have liked apples to talk more about iOS 4, and integration with other devices out of the i spectrum. I still find the reliance on itunes to do anything very puzzling.

Steve mentioned 100 new features in iOS4 but app an app, imovie and stuff we've already seen elsewhere was all that was really shown.

They have done some good work making the device more enterprise friendly which my hat goes off to them for that one. I have been getting requests from certain people at work to drop the blackberry usage.

Edited by Ten10
Spell checker typo

Oh yeah, iAds. Damn! :heh:

iAds only exist because Apple are having a hissy fit over Google bursting in on their mobile phone business (even though it was known that Google were working on mobile software way before anyone knew about the iPhone) so Apple want to take over Adwords.

Plus, adverts already exist in some free Android apps (usually at the bottom of the screen or only on certain pages). There's also an app which removes all these adverts.

Random HTML5 fact: Did you know that the editor of the HTML5 specification (i.e. one of the main guys in charge of it) works for a little-known company called Google.

Apple seem to talk about it as though they'll be the only people in the world to support it. Which would completely void the whole point of it.

Still, until it's ready there's no point ignoring current technologies.

I think I'm going to hold out to see what Tesco offer. I've always wanted to jump onto the iPhone wagon, we'll how competitive their price point is.

Alternatively, I'll keep my eye on prices for the HTC desire. If the Desire works out to be a fair bit cheaper then I'll go down that route!

It thrashes the N900 in every department. Man, that screen is higher resolution than the height of my monitors at work....

Lol. Even if it did (which it doesn't, ~and I'm not being silly, I know it has better resolution, or whatever shit~) this phone is like 9 months newer, so it should be better, technically. The N900 is awesome, and has some incredibly basic features that iPhones prevent, which just wouldn't be for me, like poor connectivity with other formats, devices, no expandable memory etc, and I know this isn't a problem for some. It's incredibly useful in all circumstances, and I get precisely what I want out of it. I'm sure the iPhone is awesome for you novices (lol joke) This new one (havn't seen anything, just read) but HD video sounds brill. Whats the camera MP?

If annoying ReZ is your top priority then yes. Buy this, burn comics and spell correctly.

Burn comics? She wants to annoy me, not make me murder her.

a72f63c482930be.jpg

Identical, apart from the top right of the right hand one is out of foucs?

But the screen does sound impressive, I'm interested to see it, because I already think the iPhones is good.

like poor connectivity with other formats

It's connected to the internet, what other connectivity do you need in this day and age? Send a pic to a friend? Email. Send a pic to a computer? Email, or upload to a pic sharing site/facebook. Upload a video to youtube? Just press the "Youtube" button.

HD video sounds brill. Whats the camera MP?
5MP with LED flash. The camera records in 720p.

It's connected to the internet, what other connectivity do you need in this day and age?

Well it shoots HD video so more options....or it will take forever. (I know its got a USB cable (I assume)) but still.

The camera records in 720p.

Did they say how many FPS?

It's connected to the internet, what other connectivity do you need in this day and age?

A HDMI slot will be useful, but they're probably saving that for an expensive "HD Docking Station" or something like that. Oh, and it really should sinc with iTunes automatically when the phone is connected to the same WiFi network as the computer with the correct iTunes account.

I'd be interested to know how the camera compares to Nokia/Sony Ericsson cameras from 3.2 megapixels and above.

Did they say how many FPS?
They did, 30. You could just watch the video, it's not that long :smile:

The N900 is awesome

I got an N900 and it was truly dreadful, hated it. Made a lot of money selling it though!

Identical

This explains a lot, you're clearly blind if you think these are identical :)

Edited by dazzybee

When this phone was (re)unveiled yesterday I wanted one straight away, but now I'm starting to reconsider.

I have a 3GS, it works really, really well for what I want it to do. I rarely use the camera and that would appear to be the biggest upgrade, followed quickly by that super shiny screen. I don't see that those two things justify the £2-300 it would cost me (after selling my 3GS) to get one without winding up locked into the same crappy contract for 24 months plus the 6 I have left. They're featuring the iPhone 4 on their site with the feature "multi-tasking" near the top, but I'll have that for free on my 3GS within the month anyway.

It's just so... so shiny.

I will just have to see how I feel when the "pre-order" button is right there in front of me.

I want a Touch with an HD camera - they should've made one with at least a decent camera by now.

I don't see why everyone is fanatical about their phone having a camera. Phone cameras are never real cameras; if you want to take a photo of something of the best quality just bring along a digital camera! I bet most of you already have one anyway; I sure do. Usually much better and not really that expensive these days. Day to day, there's usually not that much worth filming, and a less than fantastic camera built into a phone is good enough for something you happen to just see; it's not going to be the Swiss Alps that you walk past on the way to uni and suddenly need an ultra clear HD shot or film of.

If you're going somewhere that you think you would need HD quality photos or movies of then take your camera. I think smart phones are doing enough things that drain their battery already to be honest.

Hm, but what if you don't want to carry two devices around with you? What if you weren't setting out to take any pictures, just walking to the shop with your phone, wallet and keys and you spot something you suddenly want to take a picture of?

But more importantly... what if you want to get all your photos straight on facebook/email or MMS them to a friend/upload a video to Youtube without involving your PC?

The ironic thing is; phones keep getting shiny and better cameras that people use to snap photos and upload to facebook...who shrink the photos right down anyway.

Hm, but what if you don't want to carry two devices around with you? What if you weren't setting out to take any pictures, just walking to the shop with your phone, wallet and keys and you spot something you suddenly want to take a picture of?

Yeah but that's what I mentioned. Something you just happened to see on the way to the shop probably doesn't need ultra high pixel quality. And I mean really high; that of a good digital camera. A standard phone camera should be fine for general purposes, in all honesty. Whereas if you're going on holiday somewhere scenic and you have a digital camera, but didn't take it, you'd be pretty bonkers. You'd probably be taking a fair bit of luggage and a relatively tiny camera isn't going to add much.

But more importantly... what if you want to get all your photos straight on facebook/email or MMS them to a friend/upload a video to Youtube without involving your PC?

I'm sure some digital cameras can do that now, but like Ashley said they are often downsized and reduced quality. So you wouldn't really need that amazing in-built camera...

Edited by Sheikah

I called 02 today about a potentional upgrade or buying out the rest of my contract.

yeah they were pretty strict about it.

i can buy out the rest of my contract, but that expires next May, so it'd be along the lines of £400ish.

and there is no chance of an upgrade to it till my contract is due to expire. which i new anyway but figure i'd ask.

just stuck with the old iPhone till then i guess.

On a phone camera, the megapixels are probably one of the least important things. 3 megapixels is slightly overkill for a phone camera - the lenses inside them make anything bigger simply pointless.

I wouldn't be surprised if cameras started to come out with Android installed on them. Which would make transferring photos to Twitter/Facebook and Android-powered tablets/tvs/fridges/etc super easy.

Just watched the keynote, the film they showed off that was shot on iPhone 4 was unbelievable. I knew It would look good as it was 720p but I didn't expect that good.

I called 02 today about a potentional upgrade or buying out the rest of my contract.

yeah they were pretty strict about it.

i can buy out the rest of my contract, but that expires next May, so it'd be along the lines of £400ish.

and there is no chance of an upgrade to it till my contract is due to expire. which i new anyway but figure i'd ask.

just stuck with the old iPhone till then i guess.

The keynote said that quite strictly upgrades are only available if you are due before the end of the year. I'm hoping that means I can upgrade my handset (at a high price) without extending my contract by a further 24 months.
I wouldn't be surprised if cameras started to come out with Android installed on them. Which would make transferring photos to Twitter/Facebook and Android-powered tablets/tvs/fridges/etc super easy.
A data plan for eReaders and wireless dongles for laptops is bad enough, I don't want to start signing up to data plans for my camera too. Then it might as well be a phone... that doesn't make phone calls.

The keynote said that quite strictly upgrades are only available if you are due before the end of the year. I'm hoping that means I can upgrade my handset (at a high price) without extending my contract by a further 24 months.A data plan for eReaders and wireless dongles for laptops is bad enough, I don't want to start signing up to data plans for my camera too. Then it might as well be a phone... that doesn't make phone calls.

I wouldn't expect them to have 3G, just wifi.