NEurope
Dante

iPhone 4/iOS4

Micro sim is just a regular sim card with some of the card cut back. Pair of scissors will do the job for you. Also anyone who needs/ is looking for mobile phone insurance check out what account upgrades your bank does. I get Mobile phone & travel insurance, card protection and breakdown cover for £7.50 a month. So see what deals will be available to you before you shell out for a handset alone.

Edited by Ten10
How did cut end up as cart

Micro sim is just a regular sim card with some of the card cart back. .

-allow for multiple simultaneous applications accessing the card through logical channels;

-introduce mutual authentication as a way to eliminate carrier spoofing by allowing the SIM card to authenticate the cell tower to which it is connecting;

-add a new PIN protection with hierarchical PIN management with a universal PIN, an application PIN and a local PIN;

-expand the phonebook storage of the SIM card with entries for email, second name, and groups.

But also I've read that people have cut back their original sim card to microsim sizes and got it to work with the ipad. I assume its similar for the iphone.

Funny, I thought it was ok to steal someone elses belongings if you are a journalist.

I'm always surprised how much giz, kotaku and the rest of that network gets away with, they're always talking about OS' being available on torrent sites, roms, jailbreaking and things like that. It's ok to just talk about it, freedom of speech or whatever, but they often have tutorials, links etc..

Funny, I thought it was ok to steal someone elses belongings if you are a journalist.

The stealing isn't the issue here. It's paying for an item that someone found that's the problem.

If Gizmondo just stole it then they would probably get away with it.

Bunch of idiots. Why they admitted to paying $5000 for it I'll never know, stupid beyond belief! Still, I bet the whole incident has created a fair bit of revenue for Gawker media, so while it may result in criminal charges it was probably worth it.

I like Gizmodo, but they had this coming. Announcing it was bought was a ridiculous idea.

Apple got their kit back why go to the police..

It's almost playground like; "Miss!!! They've taken my stickers, but I got them back in the end, but they still took them!!".

Apple got their kit back why go to the police..

It's almost playground like; "Miss!!! They've taken my stickers, but I got them back in the end, but they still took them!!".

Apple didn't go to them, it was a felony in the state for any transaction of stolen property (Which, charges pressed or not by their law, was deemed stolen property as it was within a 3 year period for missing goods), so the police department are chasing it up.

EDIT: It would seem Apple did indeed report the phone as Stolen, indicating it was after the the publication and possible the return, other wise it would have been reported as lost.

Edited by Debug Mode

Apple got their kit back why go to the police.

So other websites think twice if this ever happens again?

So other websites think twice if this ever happens again?

apparently Engadget was offered the phone first... they didnt accept it based on their legal advice. Good thing too...

As McPhee said, this will have given Gizmodo so much attention that the charges won't be an issue. Not only will ad revenue go up in the short term but people will now have heard of the name Gizmodo and know that they were the ones that broke Apple's infamous watertight security, and their pageviews will benefit greatly.

Is this watertight security the same one that meant that everyone knew about the iPad months in advance?

Nobody knew about the iPad specifically months in advance. There were strong rumours that Apple would be making a tablet but that was it.

Nobody knew about the iPad specifically months in advance. There were strong rumours that Apple would be making a tablet but that was it.

I suppose the rumours were about them making a tablet PC rather than a big iPod.

I suppose the rumours were about them making a tablet PC rather than a big iPod.

I've read something by an ex-Apple employee who said controlled leaks were a regular task of his while he worked there. Often he would get the go-ahead to release a small amount of information/rumour about an upcoming device to get everyone interested in it. That's what happened with the iPad - it was released that a tablet was coming, but no other details were known. And hell, it worked. They had plenty of people interested in it by the time it was fully announced.

Apple have used controlled leaks for marketing purposes for a long time now. This obviously wasn't one, as they wouldn't have pressed charges if it was.

Apple have used controlled leaks for marketing purposes for a long time now. This obviously wasn't one, as they wouldn't have pressed charges if it was.

Actually much like this country Apple dont have to do anything with stolen goods, its the police's job. All that they had to do(or the employee) is indicate if the phone was stolen or not.

This mess is pretty much gizmodo's and the sellers own.

That's my point. If it was a controlled leak, they wouldn't have reported it stolen. With a lot of crimes, the victim doesn't have to press charges if they don't want to.

That's my point. If it was a controlled leak, they wouldn't have reported it stolen. With a lot of crimes, the victim doesn't have to press charges if they don't want to.

I don't believe it was reported stolen. The authorities discovered that Gizmondo paid for an object that someone else found and decided to but in.

Was it really? I thought I read somewhere that it was reported stolen?

Either way, if it was a controlled leak they will most likely drop the charges.

Edited by Emasher

I don't believe it was reported stolen. The authorities discovered that Gizmondo paid for an object that someone else found and decided to but in.

Was it really? I thought I read somewhere that it was reported stolen?

Either way, if it was a controlled leak they will most likely drop the charges.

I believe I edited a previous post after reading many articles, I believe one was on the BBC tech section website, that claims Apple had claimed the unit was stolen. Which is quite fair to be honest, in this world of business, you don't want your opposition knowing what you're doing. By the laws of the state, it's considered stolen even if you found it if you don't turn it into a superior member of staff at the location. I'm not sure if I'm buying this whole "I tried contacting contacting the actual owner of the unit but he wouldn't respond" shit.

Then the transaction and opening up the unit.. if it had indeed been reported stolen by Apple, it was done before the unit was returned. The charge's for that will be dropped, but the charges by police of handling of stolen goods will still go.

EDIT: Cannot find the original article, but it has apparently been confirmed Apple did indeed report the phone as stolen, still unsure as to whether or not it was before the returning of the unit.

Apple reported iPhone stolen

Edited by Debug Mode

I thought the phone was lost in a bar. Finders keepers and all that?

Is this watertight security the same one that meant that everyone knew about the iPad months in advance?

Yeah they were just rumours, because people were very disappointed when it was announced ;)