NEurope
Dante

iPhone 4/iOS4

This is a company that keeps going on about multitouch and dynamic changeable inputs like on screen keyboards.

Does OS4 add a dynamic keyboard? Last time I used an iPhone the keyboard didn't show you which case you were typing in (which every touch screen keyboard I've seen does).

Well... it has shift key which lights up if you're typing in caps, or you can double tap it (if you've enabled it) to turn on caps lock, then it goes blue. While the letters don't change, the way the shift key changes means it's still dynamic and serves the purpose...

Multi touch gestures on the back anyone?!

No chance of that happening.

Does OS4 add a dynamic keyboard? Last time I used an iPhone the keyboard didn't show you which case you were typing in (which every touch screen keyboard I've seen does).

It's never once bothered me that the keys don't change to capitals when you click on shift or put caps lock on. Although I've never used another touch screen phone properly before to pick up on something like that. The shift key lights up, like Shorty said, and that's enough for me until I see/use anything else.

Also on the point of the multitouch back - it wouldn't physically fit into the back of the phone. The whole surface would need to include sensors, and when the phone is just as thin as the previous one, where would they put them? There's just no space to do it.

And Ronnie, that's not really fanboyism, more just blind, blind hope :) Fanboyism would be "OMG THIS IS TEH BEST FONE IN TEH HOLE WORLD!!11!" etc.

Well Apple have finally asked Gizmodo for their property back, so it's back in Apples hands now.

Apple wouldn't be stupid enough to put a hardware keyboard in there, and people really should use a bit of common sense before spouting the above. This is a company that keeps going on about multitouch and dynamic changeable inputs like on screen keyboards.

Nah.

Fanboyism.

Nah.

Cynicism.

It's JUST a thought. Geez give reason and logic, not a one word dismissal has yet to be disproved, we certainly havent received information to the contrary.

You'll probably end up getting it regardless, and its just going to be poetic. Fanboy... ha.

:rolleyes:

Took the words out of my mouth! Appears that there are 3 3G owners here that are looking to replace our phones lol. I want a bit more customisation around the phone like music in your library that you can set as your ringtone, rather then having to cut and trim. changing background with the weather maybe...

You can add me to list of 3G owners. My contract ended last month, and I'm on a £20 a month rolling contract with O2 right now. I just want the new iPhone now!

I'm really glad to see a better screen, bigger battery, and I'm glad it'll be faster than the 3G. Also one thing I can't wait for, a better CAMERA :D The iPhone camera wasn't very good 2 years ago when I first got it. I'm hoping it's good enough to actually use as a proper camera, which with flash might actually be possible.

I'm not sure how much I'd use a front facing camera though. It's be good for Skype, but then I'd always use that on my laptop.

You can add me to list of 3G owners. My contract ended last month, and I'm on a £20 a month rolling contract with O2 right now. I just want the new iPhone now!

I'm really glad to see a better screen, bigger battery, and I'm glad it'll be faster than the 3G. Also one thing I can't wait for, a better CAMERA :D The iPhone camera wasn't very good 2 years ago when I first got it. I'm hoping it's good enough to actually use as a proper camera, which with flash might actually be possible.

I'm not sure how much I'd use a front facing camera though. It's be good for Skype, but then I'd always use that on my laptop.

Dude is your iphone unlocked? I am on a Three network rolling contract £15 a month

(300 mins, unlimited text, unlimited internet and unlimited text and calls to other three mobiles *whole family is on three*)

I've always found better signal for three! (oxford and n.e lincs) and 3G signal is always maxed out... and super speedy!

Switched to O2 at one point caus it offered visual voicemail and wifi hotspots for £20 but popped the sim and and had no 3G signal only wap. Swapped back to three and its full 3G and I didnt move from my seat.

Wonder what options they will sell the new iphone with...

I would probs try and get it sim free unlocked... never liked long contracts...

Nah I'm happy with O2. Never had any trouble with them, and get 3G at my house, work and my girlfriends house, and also the town where I live so had no issues. I've also heard nothing but issues with 3 from people at work.

I also don't have any problems with long contracts actually. A lot of people hate them, but to be honest I really like my phone so I don't mind having it for 2 years. The only problem I suppose is if it breaks, but then if it did break I'd have to buy a new one or fix it anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Add me to the 3G owners looking to upgrade. Sadly though I suspect it won't be possible for some of us. I'd be willing to bet money that the whole Micro-SIM thing is a way to force people to only use the handset on iPhone contracts (which Apple gets a cut from). I fully expect to phone Vodafone in June to be told that either they can't supply me with a Micro-SIM as they don't do them, or that they can't supply me with a Micro-SIM because they only come with iPhone and iPad contracts.

You'll probably end up getting it regardless, and its just going to be poetic. Fanboy... ha.

:rolleyes:

Yes I will be getting one, thanks. Nothing poetic about it. I was merely stating that your idea of a touch-sensitive rear casing was a fanboyish idea, and extremely unlikely to happen, given Apple's previous history on usability. It would be needlessly complicated and basically, quite silly.

Yes I will be getting one, thanks. Nothing poetic about it. I was merely stating that your idea of a touch-sensitive rear casing was a fanboyish idea, and extremely unlikely to happen, given Apple's previous history on usability. It would be needlessly complicated and basically, quite silly.

Methinks you need to learn what a fanboy is - or at least a "fanboyish idea".

For the record, fanboyisim is generally defined as a blind following of something to the point of obsession.

The only problem I suppose is if it breaks, but then if it did break I'd have to buy a new one or fix it anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
You could get your phone insured instead? :blank:

I think it's insane to have an iPhone and not have it insured personally.

Unless they've significantly reduced the charges since I got mine I really don't think the insurance is worth it.

I don't understand who people go to for phone insurance or what kind of cover they're after that makes it so expensive. I get fire/theft/accidental damage cover for a couple of quid a month as a perk with my bank account.

Add me to the 3G owners looking to upgrade. Sadly though I suspect it won't be possible for some of us. I'd be willing to bet money that the whole Micro-SIM thing is a way to force people to only use the handset on iPhone contracts (which Apple gets a cut from). I fully expect to phone Vodafone in June to be told that either they can't supply me with a Micro-SIM as they don't do them, or that they can't supply me with a Micro-SIM because they only come with iPhone and iPad contracts.

How would that work? If your current iPhone contract is up they can't stop you just getting the new iPhone on a new contract?

How would that work? If your current iPhone contract is up they can't stop you just getting the new iPhone on a new contract?

Depends on really who is authorised to sell the new iphone. Considering they probably made a bundle from partnering with O2 they may try that stunt again.

Plus some wont supply your with a sim if they know its for an iphone caus its data intensive.

I think it's insane to have an iPhone and not have it insured personally.

I think it's insane to pay for insurance when I don't need it.

My dad had insurance on his phone, lost his phone, called the insurance to claim, he got told he should have been more careful.

I think the insurance is about £7 a month, so over 2 years of owning an iPhone I've saved £168 on insurance. If my phone breaks I'll go and use that money to get it fixed.

Insurance is a rip off, and unless I legally have to get it theres no way I would.

I'm not on an iPhone tariff. Neither are a lot of iPhone users. Apple get a cut of the line rental on every iPhone tariff. This means Apple are losing out on money from me and everyone else who is dodging iPhone-specific tariffs. The cynic in me thinks that Micro-SIMs will only be issued to users on iPhone tariffs, being used as a way to stop users "stealing" Apple's revenue.

Still, I could be pleasantly surprised...

I'm not on an iPhone tariff. Neither are a lot of iPhone users. Apple get a cut of the line rental on every iPhone tariff. This means Apple are losing out on money from me and everyone else who is dodging iPhone-specific tariffs. The cynic in me thinks that Micro-SIMs will only be issued to users on iPhone tariffs, being used as a way to stop users "stealing" Apple's revenue.

That's pretty much true... tbh I mean beyond Apple tax there is always apple interest in owning an apple device...

On the other hand I had a look over at engadget apparently it allows " storage space on-chip for provider applications, increased control and security functions"

"we have absolutely no clue what justification Apple had to switch to it other than a desire to be different -- this is the company that pioneered Mini DisplayPort, after all -- but the long and the short of it is that you're going to have a hard time finding a carrier offering Micro SIMs in the short term since the GSMA doesn't appear to be actively spearheading a mass conversion"

"In fact, from AT&T's perspective, this is better than a software lock in some ways -- you're not going to be able to download a hack that gets you on another network, so you're totally at the mercy of your carrier at choice for providing a compatible card. Intentionally evil? Perhaps not -- all standards have to start somewhere -- but it's an awful pain in the ass."

- engadget

...so true.

I think it's insane to pay for insurance when I don't need it.

My dad had insurance on his phone, lost his phone, called the insurance to claim, he got told he should have been more careful.

I think the insurance is about £7 a month, so over 2 years of owning an iPhone I've saved £168 on insurance. If my phone breaks I'll go and use that money to get it fixed.

Insurance is a rip off, and unless I legally have to get it theres no way I would.

That's the insurance you get from the phone company itself. There's more emphasis on O2 (or any network) employees selling insurance over an actual contract because the profit margin is so high.

Go to an independent insurance company and you'll get a much better deal.

I'm on a non-iPhone tariff too. I thought we were all expecting to have to start a new iPhone tariff when the new iPhone comes out? Unless you're willing to pay a fortune to get the iPhone on PAYG there's no other way of getting one without a contract for you to be able to carry on your non-iPhone contract, is there?

I'm on a non-iPhone tariff too. I thought we were all expecting to have to start a new iPhone tariff when the new iPhone comes out? Unless you're willing to pay a fortune to get the iPhone on PAYG there's no other way of getting one without a contract for you to be able to carry on your non-iPhone contract, is there?

I don't really fancy taking out an iPhone contract. It'll cost me more and I like to change my phone every so often, it becomes difficult to do that if I'm shelling out £40+ every month. I'm only planning to keep the new iPhone for a few months before selling it on and buying a WP7 handset. I'll just skip it if I can't get a Micro-SIM on my current contract.

Like he said and people above, im not on a iPhone contract, i am on a o2 Simplicity contract which it £20 a month with 1600 texts and 800 minutes, with unlimited internet, i do believe it is the way forward, and o2 are seeing it too now, as they have updated the simplicity contracts, in to different sections, an iPhone, a blackberry and other!!