NEurope
Shorty

Gears of War 3

Here's the Comic Con panel. It's long but well worth a watch.

Bernie + New Gridlock = WIN

The trailer is on Live aswell.

The final book arrived yesterday and it's a whopping 600+ pages long. I can't wait to read how things turn out....

Was checking the release dates out for upcoming games to work out just how badly my wallet will feel it, and always assumed this would just be a November release along with the first 2.

very happy to see this is out next month :)

Well I finished the final book yesterday and it was fantastic. It gives hints of how the story is going to play out. Here's a recap of the last few books for those of you who care....all 2 of you. I'll try keep it short as possible.

At the end of the 2nd game the COG had sunk Jacinto and got the hell out of there. One of the books picked up straight after the game with what's left of the COG looking for a place to call their new home. They stumbled across an old COG harbour that had old military equipment and supplies and they came across Bernie, an old female sniper COG from the wars with the Indies ( people who wanted to be independant from the COG ) and a few Navy Gears.

After getting supplies they headed to an Island called Vectes and found an old COG village that didn't have a clue about the Locust attacks as they were cut off from the mainland. Prescott set up COG's new base there while they figured out there next move.

A few of the standed were also on the island which caused Bernie some grief, she was raped by them and had been hunting them down one by one. Hoffman found about this and found it hard to swallow as he was in charge of keeping the peace but at the same time he had a strong relationship with Bernie so he wanted justice ( he had an affair with her while in the Indie Wars ).

During their time on the island the COG came across some Indies and formed an alliance with them. Their leader, Trescu, didn't care for the COG and had sworn to his dying father that he would get revenge on them but the times were desperate and an agreement was made.

While no Locust had made it to the island Stranded made their presence known with various attacks, as did the Lambent. Some Stranded were killed while others were captured. One man and his son were caught and had to be questioned. Hoffman couldn't get any info out of him or his son so Trescu walked in a blew the fathers head off before telling the son he was next if he didn't cooperate.

Another alliance was made when Prescott offered the Stranded safety in return for their services. This alliance was short. Once the Lambent attacked the island many of the Stranded fled on boats back to the mainland.

While all off this was happening Prescott was hiding something and Hoffman knew it. He couldn't get Prescott to talk so he stole a data disc which he gave to Baird to decode. Hoffman told his most trusted Gears about this, aswell as Trescu, but despite all of their efforts they couldn't decode the disc.

During the various Lambent attacks on the island Prescott had been taking samples from the exploding Polyps ( kinda like tickers ) and stalks that had been bursting out of the ground. He also took soil sample with him as once a stalk came through the ground everything around it started to wither away and die. The Gears found out that the Lambent were evolving. They started seeing dog like Lambent aswell as mutated animals which exploded on impact.

While all of this was happening satallite bursts were being detected by the Gears and Trescu. They were happening around the same time everyday and they were coming from the island.

Hoffman had enough with all of the secrets and once again confronted Prescott. Prescott pretty much gave Hoffman control of the island while he left them all to go somewhere secret. He asked Hoffman to come with him but Hoffman refused. They tried to follow him off the island to see where he was going but he disappeared.

A few months passed and the island was becoming too unsafe as the stalks were getting closer and closer to them. The Gears did some recon with the Ravens to see what the mainland was like. It had been hit with Lambent stalks aswell but with it being bigger they could at least run.

They all came to the conclusion that in order to survive the COG had to be dismantled and seperated. They would split into groups and head to different parts of the mainland. It had worked for the Stranded all these years and now they were going to have to live like them.

Delta team went with the navy while Hoffman went with Dizzy, Bernie ( who he was now seeing ) and the villagers. Trescu and the Indies headed off to their old home on the mainland. Hoffman headed off to Anvil Gate which was a huge fortress where he made a name for himself ( awesome backstory that happened during one of the books flashbacks ). When he arrived there he found a few of his old friends from the war who were still around to give him a hand. Delta were heading back to the mainland...

Oh, Dom seemes to be getting over his wifes death. During the last book he was getting pretty close to Sam ( dark haired girl from alot of the gameplay vids ) She has tried her best to show she's interested while Dom has been deciding whether it's ok to move on.

After all of that here are my thoughts on how the games story may play out.

Clearly the data disc that Baird has must be the message that we see with Adam Fenix at the start of the trailer. I also assume that the satallite databursts were coming from Prescott sending Adam Fenix the data from the Lambent. During the E3 demo we saw Delta getting attacked on a ship which again I assume is the one they are on at the end of the book.

I really hope that they go to Anvil Gate and see Hoffman. It would make for one epic final battle as the Gears make their final stand in the place that Hoffman made his name.

Thanks for the awesome long post HoT!

I am very interested in the story of gears just i have never got round to reading the books (the last book i read was the last harry potter one i think).

From what i have read that ou posted and your theory it does seem to fit in well but still leaves me with questions that i'm sure the game is going to answer!

From what i have read that ou posted and your theory it does seem to fit in well but still leaves me with questions that i'm sure the game is going to answer!

Yeah, there are a few questions that need answered, such as where the Locust and Lambent came from and who is the Locust Queen? Many are speculating that the Queen is Marcus' mother which could fit given her backstory and the message from Adam Fenix that we found in Gears 2.

Yeah, there are a few questions that need answered, such as where the Locust and Lambent came from and who is the Locust Queen? Many are speculating that the Queen is Marcus' mother which could fit given her backstory and the message from Adam Fenix that we found in Gears 2.

Yeah, and where has Adam been all this time and what has he been doing? I can't wait till September 20th! :D

I saw your post and bought the new coalitions end book, I didn't even realise it was out!

The 3 books I read so far have been fantastic and add alot of weight to what is IMHO a great story.

Just finished the book which was every bit as good as the previous three and even had extra emotion thrown into it.

Im confused about the epilouge though and wondering if it means what i think it means........

Looking forward to 20/9/11 will be a great day ^^

Epic have a deal for the 20th, season pass as it were. 2400ms for it, including a liquid metal weapon skin

Season Pass

And, there is an additional character to be found on the Gears Facebook page. Free to all!!!.

Edited by Jimbob

I'm not sure I wanna buy the wares this guy is hawkin:

pc-gamer-vol7-number11-cliffyb.jpg

Edited by The Bard

15 days to go for this.

In preparation for it, am playing Gears 2 on Insane with a mate in co-op. I am determined to get all the single-player achievements before the 3rd arrives. Of which i'll be on it the majority of the time. Completly avoiding the Gears 2 multiplayer, it's crap compared to the 3rd's one.

15 days to go for this.

In preparation for it, am playing Gears 2 on Insane with a mate in co-op. I am determined to get all the single-player achievements before the 3rd arrives. Of which i'll be on it the majority of the time. Completly avoiding the Gears 2 multiplayer, it's crap compared to the 3rd's one.

It's not that bad, especially when playing social with mates. I did this the other day with a full team and it was such a laugh.

Good hunting bud! Will send you a friend request for when it comes out.

I assume this will be the TV advert

So pumped for this now!

It's not that bad, especially when playing social with mates. I did this the other day with a full team and it was such a laugh.

I'm just trying to get the co-op achievements done before the 3rd comes out.

I saw that dust to dust advert today during the England match. I have the game paid for and I cannot wait to play it in 3D.

Well my day off is confirmed for this from work! :D

I might be off all week now but for other commitments but should give me even more time with this! :D I can't wait.

For the inevitable insane playthrough i will do i may be asking for a co-op partner on here to play through with me!

Epic Edition ftw!