NEurope
Shorty

Gears of War 3

The Retro Lancer is my baby. Gold skin ftw. I love how well they put the Gold skin in there and managed to make it look awesome, distinct, and not tacky. It feels like a boss weapon.

It's only a colour change but I love it. :D

The Retro Lancer is my baby. Gold skin ftw. I love how well they put the Gold skin in there and managed to make it look awesome, distinct, and not tacky. It feels like a boss weapon.

It's only a colour change but I love it. :D

I'm so glad that i achieved the retail Gold-skin unlock, so awesome one could say it is bad-ass.

They hated me, people were shouting abuse at me down the microphone some nights.

Is that because i kept seen you camping on occations during the beta! ;):laughing:

Is that because i kept seen you camping on occations during the beta! ;):laughing:

I only camped when i was alone, 1 vs 5. Otherwise, i stood no chance.

This sounds great. Epic are really pushing the boat out with this one.

Horde 2.0 introduces the idea of fortifications and command posts. The concept was born out of the fact that in Gears 2's Horde mode, most players would steal Boom Shields from Boomers and set up defenses. With 2.0, they're simply building that concept right into the game in a deeper way.

To start, players choose one area on a map they want to hold as a fortification. What you choose will depend on how you want to play, or what you think is going to work best for your team. In my hands-on with a map called "Hotel," we set up a command post right outside the streets adjacent to what appeared to be a larger courtyard. As you progress, it's possible to expand your "area of influence" by purchasing new (and expensive!) command posts, although we never got that far in my demo.

When the match begins, you'll start with a handful of cash to spend on building up defenses, including barriers, turrets, decoys, and more. Epic predetermines ahead of time what's placed where, marked by green outlines of the objects scattered about the map. As waves progress, additional cash is earned by way of kills and helping your teammates. Between each wave, you'll have a small window of opportunity to upgrade or repair damaged objects before the next begins.

These objects are also upgradable, so spending cash wisely and strategically planning your fortifications is key to success. One example of an upgrade I saw was the barrier -- the first level was a short strip of caltrops, while the second was a taller barbed wire fence. Further upgrades, I'm told, will even include laser barriers that can act as offense as well as defense.

Even though tight cooperation was key in Gears 2's Horde mode, Epic has pushed it even further with Horde 2.0. You can now swap weapons and ammo, for instance. You can even combine cash to build up your fortifications faster.

Once thing I quickly noticed as I progressed through the waves is that Horde 2.0 features a more diverse line up of enemies than its predecessors. Epic says the mode will feature five different sets of creatures of the Locust and Lambent variety. Every ten waves (there are 50 total) you can expect to face a "boss" battle, so you'll want to pace yourself for battles against the likes of the enormous Brumak and more.

To keep things even more fresh for players, Epic is throwing in both Bonus Objectives and "mutators" into the mix. I only saw the bonus waves in action; one tasked us with getting a certain number of headshots in a limited amount of time. Successful completion of the task would reward us with additional funds, as well as bonus loot. As for the mutators, you'll be able to use them to change up the game in private matches. Some of the mutators sound kind of ridiculous, but in the best ways possible -- Big Head Locust mode, and even a sitcom-style laugh track.

Epic's Horde mode was fun on its own, which is why other developers couldn't seem to help themselves from yanking the concept for their own titles. Horde 2.0 is upping the ante with new features, multiple maps, and a theme song about the mode written and performed by Ice-T and Body Count. Seriously.

Ooo

So so sweet. Come Sepetember, you could find me playing only this online.

That sounds great extras for Horde mode!

And yeah i agree with what they were saying coz whenever i was playing it i picked an area which would draw them all in front of me, kind of like a bottle neck situation so they could not sneak up on me!

Haha. A sitcom style laugh track! Imagine that after a headshot or execution!

This game is gonna be insane, can't believe how much love Epic are putting into this!

Horde Mode explained by Anya. :D

This game is so gonna eat away at my spare time. Me and my mate just slammed in a weeks holiday for it's release.

Horde Mode explained by Anya. :D

This game is so gonna eat away at my spare time. Me and my mate just slammed in a weeks holiday for it's release.

Omg that looks amazing!

This looks absolutely incredible, completely sold. Really hope some of you guys are gonna be up for multiplayer aye? ;)

This looks absolutely incredible, completely sold. Really hope some of you guys are gonna be up for multiplayer aye? ;)

Definatly! I will be living in the multiplayer! ;)

I enjoyed horde mode a lot with friends on GoW2 but all the stuff they seem to have added for this one makes me thinking i will be spending many hours hording as well as the other modes! :)

aye!

Yeah, looks boss. In fact, is boss. Beta had giant swinging hairy balls full of testosterone and biceps. New Horde looks suitably meaty (Firefight in Halo raised the bar after gears 2, so it's nice to see Epic respond in style)

I really wasn't planning on buying this game but it's looking really substantial and headed in the right direction from launch. Looking forward to it.

Believe me when i say this, but this will be all you will see me on upon release. Got the day booked off for release as well

Am still gonna play the campaign mode first before anything else though.

I hate going online with a game to hear a couple of asshats talking about spoilers in the story mode.

Meh. I preferred the unlockable characters for Gears 2 multiplayer like RAAM and Kim.

Link

Edited by Dog-amoto

I hate going online with a game to hear a couple of asshats talking about spoilers in the story mode.

If it is possible to mute players in the multplayer, without ruining the game sound then i shall be doing that. Heck, you can mute players in Brotherhood and most other games.

Same as you, i don't want to have the single player spoiled for myself.

I think it is, but I still don't want to risk it. If you go into a room and people are talking about how Marcus dies at the end of the game* it would royally piss me off.

*speculation

I think it is, but I still don't want to risk it. If you go into a room and people are talking about how Marcus dies at the end of the game* it would royally piss me off.

*speculation

I'll let you know about the muting, as and when i go into the multiplayer. Which will be the first thing i do, and play Horde as well. If anyone talks/spoils the game for me, i will target only them.

*speculation

If anyone dies I think it will be Dom. He will probably go down saving Marcus and tell him to live a life with Anya. Those two have been dancing around each other for ages in the books. Some lesser characters like Jace or Sam may die. I'm a little worried about the lack of Hoffman footage, he better not bite the bullet as he's legendary.

If anyone dies I think it will be Dom. He will probably go down saving Marcus and tell him to live a life with Anya. Those two have been dancing around each other for ages in the books. Some lesser characters like Jace or Sam may die. I'm a little worried about the lack of Hoffman footage, he better not bite the bullet as he's legendary.

"This war's gonna be over in no time, boys!"

Best line ever :love:

Just watched the Horde 2.0 trailer there, damn that looks like that could be a lot of fun. Good thing I started up my subscription again.