NEurope
Shorty

Gears of War 3

Cliff Bleszinski was supposed to reveal an unspecified new game on the Jimmy Fallon show last night. His appearance was pushed back (to make way for Justin Beiber!) but apparently someone on the Xbox Dashboard team had already set a new ad to launch today, and forgot to push it back :D

500x_ashgears.jpg

Edit: A few details revealed by Edge (see post below)

We should get more details on Monday, when Cliffy does appear on the show.

Personally I can't wait! Gears is an awesome co-op experience with a great multiplayer to back it up. The second game may have had less great features and a slightly weaker plot (oh and a fair few glitches) but it was still a lot of fun. Here's hoping the third makes up for those niggles and is the strongest of the lot :)

Found it on Kotaku

Edited by Shorty

Yeah, the rumours broke last night.

According to a new report from Edge, Gears of War 3 will introduce new underwater gameplay mechanics and shake up the series' popular cover system. How? With the addition of new weapons that travel underground and a new breed of tentacled Locust enemies that can overcome traditional means of cover.

Edge also writes that the COG members of Delta Squad will have access to "a heavy duty mech suit" in Gears 3, all of this according to a "US publishing source."

With the underwater fighting it sounds like they will take what happened in the 2nd book into consideration as what was left of humanity found a new island and took over a naval base.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Oddly, I hated the first Gears game, but loved the second. The only problem I have with the second is that everyone on my friends list plays the mode where you have one life, which is by far my least favourite mode in online games.

Hopefully the third can push the quality up even more, and have even more weird-yet-wonderful set pieces.

Oddly, I hated the first Gears game, but loved the second. The only problem I have with the second is that everyone on my friends list plays the mode where you have one life, which is by far my least favourite mode in online games.

Hopefully the third can push the quality up even more, and have even more weird-yet-wonderful set pieces.

Im the same as you, hate just having one life, although I eventually got used to it. You should play the Leader game type, much more fun and many lives to be had, well aslong as your leader stays alive. :D

The 3rd better have a beta for the multiplayer as the 2nd had sooooo many patches and its still broken to this day.

Underwater eh, I remember those Unreal Engine water demos... this could either be really good or really bad. Still, I'm very much looking forward to it, although April 2011 is a long way off.

Yeah, the rumours broke last night.
Well, why didn't you make a thread then? :heh:

Underwater eh, I remember those Unreal Engine water demos... this could either be really good or really bad. Still, I'm very much looking forward to it, although April 2011 is a long way off.

Well, why didn't you make a thread then? :heh:

I'd just got in from work at 10! Surely other people on here are checking other sites and are capable of breaking the news.

Is seems odd to announce underwater levels as the first thing.

Aren't water levels the most hated levels in almost every game?

Ehhhhh

They've got quite a bit to make up for from the second game. I can suspend disbelief, but there are some parts of that game that just don't cut it. It was fun regardless.

I really really hope the third game has the sort of multiplayer allure that the first game did. Not had that much fun/sense of community in a multiplayer shooter for aged. I suppose that might have been born out of the lack of choice though; it was one of the only great XBL games out at that time.

Just another example of multiplicity of choice ruining everything =p.

Unless I'm completely blown away by this game, it's only getting a rent. I've spent...a considerable sum on GOW 1 & 2 and, frankly, they're just gathering dust. Wasn't worth it for me. The MP so far has been faintly awkward, elitist and unwelcoming. I quite enjoy the SP game but I can't name more than 2-3 solo games in recent memory worth £35+

Hmmmm.

Still on the 1st title now, 1/2 way through Act IV. Got 2nd to beat afterwards. Gives me a time-period to get them done me thinks.

Yay, i'm abit of a gears fanboy and we all knew this would be coming but it's good to hear it's offically revealed! :grin:

Slightly debious how exacly a underwater level would work on a game like this though... I'm sure i will still love it though!

Slightly debious how exacly a underwater level would work on a game like this though... I'm sure i will still love it though!
I guess underwater could just be a case of equiping a heavy airtight suit and walking along the surface, or being pulled along by a weapons equipped handheld propellor devices James Bond uses on occasion, or some sort of ride on sub... in more driving/shooter type levels.

Anyways here's a GT Wish List to get you thinking:

I preferred Gears 1 for it's more concise story and setting, yet diversity of environments and variety of gameplay types. GT were totally right about it offering breaks from the action and mixing things up... like the awesome Berserker section etc... Each chapter seemed to offer up something fresh.

Where as I felt Gears 2 was too guided, and too many driving/passanger sections.

I've nearly beat the 1st title now, just got General "rock friggin solid" RAAM to beat

Win. :grin:

Gears of War is one of my favourite games/series.

I bought the Gears of War Xbox bundle just so I could play number 2. :) (which I need to finish)

Only problem with that is that gears of war 1&2 are lumped together in a rubbish box!

STILL

I will buy this regardless of what new features it does or doesn't have. :D

OH! YEAH! BRING IT ON SUCKER THIS MY KINDA...

For whatever other things I can find to complain about, Gears always seems to have great trailers.

Yeah, trailers that have nothing to do with the games themselves. Remember the Mad World Gears 1 trailer?

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Gears of War 1 and 2, but I wanna see some proper gameplay, not CGI trailers with sad music. *yawns*

The trailer is on Live now aswell.

FINALLY 4 PLAYER CO-OP!!!

Game information from Rob Ferguson at Epic Games

* Rod confirmed 4 Player Co-Op in the Gears IRC, with 4 unique characters. Rod confirmed that co-op includes Marcus, Dom, Cole, Baird and a "variety of other characters"

Story

* Set 18 months after Gears of War 2, and after the fourth Gears of War book

* The location shown in the "Ashes to Ashes" trailer is a location nicknamed 'Char', where the remains of victims from the Hammer of Dawn strikes are heavily present.

Weapons

* The Pendulum Lancer is in Gears of War 3

* A Double Barrelled Shotgun was spotted in the Ashes to Ashes trailer.

Characters

* Dom is now heavily bearded. According to Rod, this is due to his problems dealing with the loss of his wife.

* Anya is the female COG soldier seen in the "Ashes to Ashes" trailer. We will learn more on her transition from pencil pusher to soldier throughout the books.

Enemies

* Lambent Locust: These enemies mutate and transform as you fight them.

Anya already started to become quite the hardcase in the 2nd Gears book so it makes sense for her to see some action in the games.

Im hoping that they finally let Bernie make an appearance in the games as she's such a great character and a fan favourite. Seeing as the books are setting the story up for the final game there is a chance they may kill her off and she won't get to make an appearance at all...

They better not make the mistake of commonly referencing the books without some sort of recap. It's just plain poor story telling to chronologically weave a story between mediums with nothing telling what happened if you happen to skip over one of the mediums.

Did they do that in the last game? I have never read the books but have never felt that I missed anything.

They didn't do it that I know of, but it's possible. Seeing as how this is a year and a half after Gears 2 and after the 4th book though, it seems likely they'll do it this time.

Now that I think of it, they may have done it with Gears 2, but without reading the books I don't know for sure. Either way it was pretty poor. The scene in question is the ending cutscene when Marcus tries and fails to get Anya on the radio, then looks all sad not entirely unlike Dom trying to find Maria, it hints at some sort of relationship that hte game never really hinted at. Of course after her chopper shows up and she is in view, Marcus just looks like his normal self, not extremely happy of anything, so who knows.