NEurope
Daft

Digital Economy Bill

The government is supposed to represent and protect the rights of the people. Not the multi-national corporations.

The government is supposed to represent and protect the rights of the people. Not the multi-national corporations.

It's all about backhanders and corporate greed. They don't give a fuck about the individual !

It's stealing and rape. Don't forget rape.

Everytime you download a Miley Cyrus album, you are puncturing through her hymen.

Till there's nothing left.

Regardless, you cannot defend actually downloading media you don't have a right to watch. I can understand how some people might download a show they missed or something like that, but there's really no moral grey area when it comes to just downloading songs (or anything else) because you can't afford them, or you're too lazy to buy them. This is wrong. Regardless of the actual losses of the company, or how you define it, you're still accessing something you have no right to access. In terms of mixing tapes back when people did that, it wasn't as bad because in many countries, a tax was charged on all blank tapes.

I wouldn't download stuff if it was legally more accessible and not so Goddamn over priced.

I haven't downloaded any music since Spotify came out. TV shows that are only on certain channels? Fuck that. When they come out on DVD they're usually overpriced let alone on Blu-Ray.

The industry deserves everything it gets until it understands that accessibility and price point issues have to be addressed. FFS cinema tickets in central London can be anything up to £15.

I wouldn't download stuff if it was legally more accessible and not so Goddamn over priced.

I haven't downloaded any music since Spotify came out. TV shows that are only on certain channels? Fuck that. When they come out on DVD they're usually overpriced let alone on Blu-Ray.

The industry deserves everything it gets until it understands that accessibility and price point issues have to be addressed. FFS cinema tickets in central London can be anything up to £15.

Damn right, I don't want to pay freakin £40 for a season box set! Or £30 for a movie on dvd.

A lot of bands make their money on promos and gigs anyway.. Which the "illegal downloaders" go to as much as the purchasers. If I really like a band, (like say Muse) i'll download their cd, but go out and buy it to support them, even if it is pittance they get..

A lot of the software, actually, all the software I use for my degree is expensive. We are talking thousands of pounds here, many students cannot and will not pay that.

Obviously it becomes more acceptable to then go and pay for that software when they get a job in the business.

But really how do you expect a student to pay for these goods, I'm not arguing that its right, it isn't, its not entirely fair to download these goods, but then nor do I see it fair to charge a student a couple of hundred pounds for the privilege to use a program they need for furthering themselves.

Argh it just annoys me so much :(

A lot of the software, actually, all the software I use for my degree is expensive. We are talking thousands of pounds here, many students cannot and will not pay that.

Obviously it becomes more acceptable to then go and pay for that software when they get a job in the business.

But really how do you expect a student to pay for these goods, I'm not arguing that its right, it isn't, its not entirely fair to download these goods, but then nor do I see it fair to charge a student a couple of hundred pounds for the privilege to use a program they need for furthering themselves.

Whilst I'd agree with most of that (hell we all did the same on my course) most universities and Microsoft work together to give out free software. I got most of the software I needed free legally.

Ok well in my eyes it is exactly the same thing. And this just sounds like someone trying to justify it. I see no difference.

Y'see that's the way I feel about war. Murder's murder, no matter if you're wearing a uniform or not.

What's wrong with someone trying to justify something? If you see no difference, then there's a need for someone to show you how two things are different, because they are seriously different things, and if you have an issue with telling one thing from another then I certainly don't want you anywhere near a gun.

(yes, this is an attempt to rile you through selective ignorance. But if you can do it then so can I.)

Whilst I'd agree with most of that (hell we all did the same on my course) most universities and Microsoft work together to give out free software. I got most of the software I needed free legally.

We haven't, we need:

All unreal software

Micosoft office

All of the adobe suite

The adobe suite alone is a good chunk of money. I understand that a company might always be willing to go 'here you are 100+ students have it for free' but charging so much even for a student is ridiculous.

This was bound to happen, and i expeccted a law like this much sooner.

It's not hard to stick to the legal downloads.

If you want something enough, you will pay for it.

I have actually heard that Adobe leak their software purposly to create able people who, when they turn professional, will purchase it for commercial use.

I also hear they are more leniant when students and other people in education are caught using it illegally aslong as your not sharing it.

Edited by Kirkatronics
Automerged Doublepost

I have actually heard that Adobe leak their software purposly to create able people who, when they turn professional, will purchase it for commercial use.

I've heard very similar. At the end of the day they know students can't pay for things like that so they don't see it as missed revenue. It's more an investment in the future when these people are forced to legally buy very expensive software for business use.

Personally I don't see piracy as a big problem, in the vast majority of cases things that are pirated wouldn't have been bought anyway so you can't chalk that up as a loss. It IS stealing though, maybe not in exact terms but you're still taking something that doesn't belong to you. The best comparison I can think of is it being like sneaking into a theme park and using all the rides/facilities without paying.

I also hear they are more leniant when students and other people in education are caught using it illegally aslong as your not sharing it.

I'd be thoroughly surprised if Adobe were happy to know 100+ students alone in my year were downloading their software illegally. I only know of two of my friends who have bought Adobe software legally and they happen to own Macs.

But that might explain why so rarely you hear about companies like Adobe sueing students.

The only company I applaud for freebies is Autodesk, they allow students a 6 month trial, which can cover a semester and more. :grin:

I'd be thoroughly surprised if Adobe were happy to know 100+ students alone in my year were downloading their software illegally. I only know of two of my friends who have bought Adobe software legally and they happen to own Macs.

But that might explain why so rarely you hear about companies like Adobe sueing students.

The only company I applaud for freebies is Autodesk, they allow students a 6 month trial, which can cover a semester and more. :grin:

Think about it thought, if just 5 buy it that is still a lot of money for them.

5 more than if they never learned how to use it, and thats jjust a small cross section.

Think about it thought, if just 5 buy it that is still a lot of money for them.

5 more than if they never learned how to use it, and thats jjust a small cross section.

Oh I'm not debating on them making money, given all companies who are multi-media will buy the software and they won't buy it at student prices, as will the universities and its great that I can get most of the software at uni.

I'm just justifying why a student will opt to illegally download over paying.

Y'see that's the way I feel about war. Murder's murder, no matter if you're wearing a uniform or not.

What's wrong with someone trying to justify something? If you see no difference, then there's a need for someone to show you how two things are different, because they are seriously different things, and if you have an issue with telling one thing from another then I certainly don't want you anywhere near a gun.

(yes, this is an attempt to rile you through selective ignorance. But if you can do it then so can I.)

Think that about war if you want. But at the end of the day the law is on the side of the men in uniform because they send them there. not only that they pay me a tidy sum to go there and possibly kill someone.

And the same for this topic the law is on the same side as me. People can download and say i dont want to pay its over priced etc etc. The simpl answer is if you dont want to pay then you dont have to have it. And if you are going to download it then you are going to start suffering for chooseing to do so.

Did you know that the Law that makes downloading copyrighted material also makes ripping a CD to a PC* and loaning a DVD/game to a friend illegal?

*As other laws state, you can make a backup. However copyright laws mean that you can't alter the data. Converting them into a different format is classed as altering the date.

Think that about war if you want. But at the end of the day the law is on the side of the men in uniform because they send them there. not only that they pay me a tidy sum to go there and possibly kill someone..

I bet that gives you some right mental wank material.

Because the law is totally infallible. Yeah, fucking right.

i-am-the-law.jpg

i-am-the-law.jpg

Is that Captain Falcon?

I go by the principle of "what they don't know can't hurt 'em" when it comes to illegal downloads. It's kind of like stealing from Jesus, he may lose one fish, but he can just make a million more.

It's better for AutoCAD - I get it free until at least my graduation! :smile:

Annoyingly, MATLAB and SuperStress, the two programs I need for coursework, can't be obtained, even via torrents - fuck you digital signatures. Fuck you rareness.

Ok well in my eyes it is exactly the same thing. And this just sounds like someone trying to justify it. I see no difference. I noticed the comment about downloading a car just thought it was a daft comment and ignored it.

You are still stealing the artists work etc. You have no right to own a digita copy of it. And in my eyes it is exactly the same thing.

Well, you clearly didn't read what was said, or you're just quite thick in the head. Actually, I'm pretty sure you're thick in the head, in my eyes you are thick in the head and now I am going to close my eyes and my mind and that is that, thicko.

Think that about war if you want. But at the end of the day the law is on the side of the men in uniform because they send them there. not only that they pay me a tidy sum to go there and possibly kill someone.

And the same for this topic the law is on the same side as me. People can download and say i dont want to pay its over priced etc etc. The simpl answer is if you dont want to pay then you dont have to have it. And if you are going to download it then you are going to start suffering for chooseing to do so.

Don't talk about law in this thread if you're so goddamn stupid you can't tell the difference between piracy and theft/stealing. Hell, Supergrunch even already pointed out a very significant legal difference. Dammit, there should be a law to get idiots like you off my internets. Get that bloody forest off your shoulder, chill out, and actually open your mind to discussion and, god forbid, possibly learn some things.

i-am-the-law.jpg

Ha, agreed. I've also heard about this jazz with companies leaking their software to invest in the future like, cos if it's found you've made a commercial product with a piece of illegal software or something they can sue the crap out of you/possibly destroy your product or so I heard but I'm not so sure. Either way, most people making money out of something love it enough that they pay for it anyhow.

If 'illegal' downloading does get outruled/go underground, I don't see it setting us back more than 10 years or so anyway, we'll go back to the days of copying cds/dvds and sharing music with our friends. Hell, a few dvds and you could write an entire music collection to it to give to someone at the price of what, 30p maybe?

Personally I don't see piracy as a big problem' date=' in the vast majority of cases things that are pirated wouldn't have been bought anyway so you can't chalk that up as a loss. It IS stealing though, maybe not in exact terms but you're still taking something that doesn't belong to you. The best comparison I can think of is it being like sneaking into a theme park and using all the rides/facilities without paying.[/quote']

Piracy is like going to that theme park and checking it all out then totally just going home and making your own exact replica and THEN riding it til forever without paying. However, piracy is hard to compare with real life situations because to do anything and replicate anything irl it costs alot more, with a computer data duplication is a simple click(and also mind blowing to think of in comparison), and that costs very little.

It's better for AutoCAD - I get it free until at least my graduation! :smile:

Annoyingly, MATLAB and SuperStress, the two programs I need for coursework, can't be obtained, even via torrents - fuck you digital signatures. Fuck you rareness.

Ah god forbid if that were that case, I just happen to use programs that can be torrented if needed.

I wish autodesk would do that for 3dsmax, haha, but never mind. :grin: