NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
DCK

Rev to use 12GB discs?

Which kind of storage medium do you think the Revolution is going to use? Since I've read great things about Sony's Blu-Ray disc.

Richard, 16

The Revolution will initially use a proprietary disc standard developed between Nintendo and Panasonic. It uses 12 gig capacity discs. However, with a hardware attachment planned, it is quite possible more DVD standards will be supported in the future.

If they use 12 GB discs it would be a bit more than the standard 9 GB DVD-9 like in the Xbox 360, so that's pretty good.

I wonder how Nick got this information though.

Maybe he was drunk. Without HD there's not a lot of need for bigger media I think.

Heh, it should probably be 12cm and not 12gig :D The gc has those small 8cm dvd's, while normal dvd's are 12cm.

although don't the GC discs use proprietary discs, kinda pre blu-ray discs which have a higher capacity than regular cd's? so it would make sense (with the revolution being backward compatible with the GC) to use that same standard, just on a larger disc. or was the pre bluray format thing made up by some random person?

well considerin tht gc discs can hold 1.5gb (if i rememba rightly) 9gb or even 12 is plenty for all our nxt gen needs.

There is never enough storage especially for developers a highly anticipated 360 game will come on 4 DVDs - that is about 36GB!

I think it is really 12cm not 12GB and to be honest neither the questions nor the answers of that "mailbag" are worth reading.

Aren't you funny... no not really. The point is it was a typo. A general error. It was meant to be 12cm disks. Not 12GB disks. It's called human error.

Don't get me wrong - I knew it was a typo but the "quality" of the mailbag is not very high right now. Most questions are from kids who are too lazy to check for a release date on the main site and the others ask questions only Iwata himself could answer.

I'm not sure it really matters, does it?

Xbox 360 is proving that a standard DVD is more than enough to contain games in HighDef - I really can't see that Blue-Ray is necessary for video gaming. Sony's expensive Blue-Ray wil simply ramp up the prices of PS3 games.

Sign in to follow this