NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

I believe 'made (or assembled) in America' is a big thing, marketing-wise, in general in the states at the moment. Apple are running a similar line quite prominently in the iphone 5 print adds, judging by one i noticed in the evening standard today.

Anyway, this is annoying, just when i was finally, finally about to pick up a nexus. The Moto X is to be the new google big one as they now own motorolo, right? I am so in.

I don't know why though. American Apparel pretty much have an open door return policy as their "made in America" clothing is known to fall apart :p

I think it's due to the whole "jobs being shipped overseas and the Chinese economy threatening to beat the American" thing.

Anyone else excited for the new Nexus 7? I think the current Nexus 7 does feel a little aged after using the Nexus 4, particularly in terms of snappiness and resolution. Full HD resolution on a 7 inch screen and a snapdragon make this quite enticing. Particularly at £199.

I was planning on getting one but the UK stores seem to be taking the £199 preorders for the 16gb which is a pretty big rip off when compared to the US prices so unless Google offer a better price I won't be bothering.

I paid about £194 for the 32gb version. Will give impressions later this week.

I paid about £194 for the 32gb version. Will give impressions later this week.

Import? Where from?

Google have quietly launched TV episodes in the Play store. Seems an impressive line up of channels and programmes, archive stuff is pleasantly cheap.

Anyone had any experience of the video/sound quality from stuff in the Play store?

Anyway, this is annoying, just when i was finally, finally about to pick up a nexus. The Moto X is to be the new google big one as they now own motorolo, right? I am so in.

It is the first phone designed entirely under Googles ownership. I've read some conflicting reports on its power, it probably won't be a powerhouse device but will have some super features (contextual awareness, great camera).

My concern is that the UK won't see much of the customisation.

Well find out at 12PT!

Import? Where from?

I was in the US when it was released. It was meant to be released on Tuesday but managed to grab one a few days earlier, not sure if they broke the street date or Google moved the release date up. It was $270, $288 with tax. I thought it would still be £200 over here but the US version was $50 more so it will probably be more expensive over here as well.

Picked up a Chromecast as well but that may be for another thread.

Not too sure if I prefer the 2013 or the 2012 model. The new one is a little taller, all black and now includes a rear camera and a notification light (which I like). The backing feels a little different, probably the only downgrade as I prefer the 2012 feel, but it's still nice.

The screen is a big improvement, a lot clearer and brighter. The 2012 model's screen was kinda blurry.

Not played around with it too much since I only set it up properly today.

Google have quietly launched TV episodes in the Play store. Seems an impressive line up of channels and programmes, archive stuff is pleasantly cheap.

Anyone had any experience of the video/sound quality from stuff in the Play store?

Finally, was getting close to giving up on us ever getting TV shows. The stuff I've watched via Google Play looked/sounded great. Not sure you get as many image or sound options as, say, a DVD or Blu-ray mind.

It is the first phone designed entirely under Googles ownership. I've read some conflicting reports on its power, it probably won't be a powerhouse device but will have some super features (contextual awareness, great camera).

My concern is that the UK won't see much of the customisation.

Well find out at 12PT!

Turned out to be the phone I wanted (not hugely powerful but good battery, some good features) but only available in America! What a load of rubbish.

So picked up this instead

motorola-razr-i.jpg

For a cool £150 sim free (with free (shitty) bluetooth speakers)

Bargain hunt. Nova launch-ered the beast and it works a charm! I'm stunned at all the great apps I had no idea about at all over the last few years..

Just a heads up, eBuyer is claiming to have guaranteed delivery of the new Nexus 7 by the 24th August. They were one of the first retailers to send out the first model last time if I remember correctly so if you can't wait, might be worth ordering from them.

Yeah I caved and pre-ordered yesterday. Plan to put my original on ebay over the weekend.

Also works with the 16GB (which I want to get). Think the price of the 32 is a little high.

Sweet! With reward voucher points I got it down to £183.

If I was still working full-time I'd probably go for 32GB, but I doubt I'd ever actually need it.

Tesco Direct have gone one further, placed an order with them for the 16GB:

£20 off orders above £150 spend (code: TDX-MJGQ)

Also had £8 Clubcard Vouchers, and there's 4.54% TopCashback

Preordered it for £171 , but should be around £164.79 for me after cashback.

So Motorola or LG for Nexus 5. Both have strong rumours circling around them now with the latest about LG getting the nod and basing it on their latest G2 with slight modifications to keep the low price structure. Interesting.

Bit late to the party, but I upgraded my S2 to Jelly bean.

So pretty! Hopefully its a bit better for not turning my phone off randomly and sucking my battery dry. So far so good!

So the nexus 4 got a massive price slash. 200 squid for the 16gb version.

£159 for the 8GB! Mind blowingly good price. Nexus 5 must be on its way. Still one of the best phones you can get and now at an insane price.

Wow, going to recommend it to a friend who was holding out on a new phone

Unbelievably good price. It always annoys me how phones never seem to get cheaper, they just stop selling them - like where does all the leftover stock go? Except in this case that is.