NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

Android 2.1 is pretty sucky. I mean you don't even have a lot of the awesomeness that 2.2 brought to the OS. As for me I'm the king of badass. I turned my old HTC desire (which is now with the mother while I'm using a crappy Galaxy apollo) is now a HTC beats audio phone. Turns out beats audio is pretty much just a fancy way of saying equaliser.

Well now we have a conundrum. You are King of the Badass, meaning you are my king (as I am a badass), but i am the ultimate badass (there can be no badder ass!) so i must be more badass than you.

So here is my problem. Who gets to wear the Badass Badge?

Well now we have a conundrum. You are King of the Badass, meaning you are my king (as I am a badass), but i am the ultimate badass (there can be no badder ass!) so i must be more badass than you.

So here is my problem. Who gets to wear the Badass Badge?

Hmm there is this really old crappy ps1 game called soul reaver. I think the opening movie would help put our situation into perspective.

Hoping to get my Galaxy Nexus next week although what I've heard about changes to the file system doesn't fill me with confidence that I'll be able to migrate data that I want to keep to a new device easily.

Has anyone tried the latest version of Goggles? It has a continuous mode that works surprisingly well. I tested it on NGamer and it recognised:

- Resident Evil Revelations (from the image on the front cover)

- Mario Kart 7

- Honey Queen (Mario)

- Wriggler

- "Cloud Guy Mario"

- Reggie

- Various Pokémon

- Creatures from Dragon Quest/Tales.

- It's really good with box arts.

- Wuhu Island

- Phoenix Wright Judge

And a load of other stuff. I was quite impressed.

Not getting my Android phone until Christmas, is there anyway to buy stuff from the marketplace? Want to take advantage of the 10p sale.

Not getting my Android phone until Christmas, is there anyway to buy stuff from the marketplace? Want to take advantage of the 10p sale.

Nope unfortunately not. Probably the only way would be to find someone you can trust to grab them for you. I have found apps that I purchased by didn't install eventually got cancelled. (sent apps to HTC desire I still have attached to my account but not in my possession )

Which is a shame really because there have been tablet apps I've wanted but had to miss out on.

The other option is to get hold of a friends Android, factory reset it and re-activate it with your Google Account. At that point you should be able to factory reset again and give it back to your mate (this process shouldn't loose much since more recent Android versions back up to Google servers) - although to be safe, I'd set up your Google Wallet and make your purchases before handing back.

All my old Androids still show as options in Market despite having a full factory reset and being activated by someone else, so I think as long as you've activated a phone, you should be able to make purchases that should wait in Market for your real Android to be activated.

Has anyone tried the latest version of Goggles? It has a continuous mode that works surprisingly well. I tested it on NGamer and it recognised:

- Resident Evil Revelations (from the image on the front cover)

- Mario Kart 7

- Honey Queen (Mario)

- Wriggler

- "Cloud Guy Mario"

- Reggie

- Various Pokémon

- Creatures from Dragon Quest/Tales.

- It's really good with box arts.

- Wuhu Island

- Phoenix Wright Judge

And a load of other stuff. I was quite impressed.

I scanned what you wrote, and it took me to this exact forum page.

So I just bought a 10p app that didn't download, then I re-tried, it still didn't download. I think I've been charged 20p for something that won't download! How do I get it to download without charging me again?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's letting me download it now. Still, think it's charged me twice. I coulda bought a Freddo with that :(

Edited by Rummy

EDIT: Nevermind, it's letting me download it now. Still, think it's charged me twice. I coulda bought a Freddo with that :(

A Freddo? For 10p?

What decade are you living in?

Soooo... what does everyone think of this Carrier IQ thing what is going on at the moment? Thoughts?

Considering I don't use a carrier in the US who uses it, and I have a custom ROM anyway, not a lot. Over here the media has just been using scare tactics.

Google and Android seem to be getting the worst out of the press, when neither has anything to do with it - it's the carriers installing software on the phones. It's not like Apple, who (until recently) installed the software themselves.

Which software did Apple install, Carrier IQ? Traces of it were found in iOS but not the actual Carrier IQ app itself that was running on the Android phone I saw tested. And even then, it wasn't the same app, and it never logged every key press etc.

I know it's only in America, and only two carrier (I think?) but I meant what do you think about it as a whole. Does it worry people that it was logging pretty much every number, text and web search you made?

Which software did Apple install, Carrier IQ?

Truthfully, I don't know - I just know at Apple said that, as of iOS5, it no longer appears in "most of their products".

Besides, I highly doubt that any of our digital information is actually secure.

Does it worry people that it was logging pretty much every number, text and web search you made?

And sends it to the carrier? Who do text messages, phone calls and internet usage go via normally?

In my opinion, the only bit where this is completely wrong is that it carries on logging when all communication with the carrier is turned off (i.e. wifi).

A Freddo? For 10p?

What decade are you living in?

Really? They got Freddos too?! Though I haven't actually bought one for about 9 years so I wouldn't know, but really? FREDDOS ARE ALWAYS 10P!! WHAT WILL KIDS DO WITH THEIR TENPEES NOW?!?!

Back to the topic at hand, I had another issue I'd noticed whilst on holiday, where I was running my phone without my SIM card.

Does Android firmware have no startup security available on the phone? I realised without the SIM card, I never got asked for a PIN, and with a SIM unlocked phone, it'd be nice if some poor bastard tried to use it and couldn't get past a startup password. Admittedly I can totally just ring up and get the IMEI blocked but...ykno. Just wondered.

Freddos 15p Taz 20p. And back in the day at the old school tuck shop you could get mojos for 1.

SwiftKeyX is by far the best keyboard I've used.

SwiftkeyX is good but I've actually switched back to the ICS keyboard. Visually it's more appealing and I'm just a lot more comfortable using it. If my only option was the gingerbread keyboard I'd totally switch to swift but for now on ICS the ICS keyboard is where it's at.

Swyyyyyyype!

I'm disturbed that there's a game called 'Toddler Tapping Zoo'.

Swyyyyyyype!

I tried it for a few weeks and it's a complete faff. Didn't like it at all.

Complete faff? How dare you. I find it so natural and easy to use and it keeps getting better :D

Guys, guys ... lets not argue about which keyboard is best! Let's just high five each other over the fact that we can choose.

*Raises hand*

What's that? We don't have to stick to a keyboard that doesn't even clearly show what case you're typing in?