NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

I am curious about Google TV. Wait to see what next year brings I suppose.

Apparently that family had a Wii U...

Ok so ive finally got an android phone. Which apps should i get?

Completely depends on what you're after from it! I've only had mine a week, so not gotten a lot so far. A few alternative keyboards for trying, Angry Birds and...facebook and a barcode scanner app, I think. The latter was more curiosity of its accuracy, and finally some way to decode 2d barcodes!

What would folks recommend for internet browsing and general media playback? So far i'm using the stock apps that came with, mainly for lack of knowing any better alternative.

I used the stock browser.

As for music, I use Spotify. With a free account, the WiFi syncing is still pretty handy. If you pay for it it's a must-have.

Have you tried any alternatives? I noticed firefox and opera in a quick look, but don't know how they compare to my standard 'internet' thingy. As for music I just use the option in the menu labelled music; though I haven't been using the phone much for that. I was just curious if there were better apps out there. I've just gotten my hands on Swype also, I see why one might like it!

Is there really no way around the internal space issue with the Desire? It's fucking me off to the point of me giving up on Android altogether.

I use WinAmp as my music player. It can wireless sync with your desktop/laptop/mac/whatever. Although I've never used that feature.

Is there really no way around the internal space issue with the Desire? It's fucking me off to the point of me giving up on Android altogether.

You're considering giving up an OS because of one piece of hardware by a third party manufacturer?

Anywho some people helped Dan with the same issue no more than 2 pages back.

This here is your friend if you want more room on your Desire. A little bit complicated, but once you do it, you'll never regret it.

So how comes only the Desire seems to suffer of this problem and not other smartphones?

(not 100% what the problem is cos I don't think I've encountered it so far, memory issues? like RAM or just storage?)

The problem was that it was made with a too small internal memory, and at the time it came out it was not possible to move apps to the SD card. That is now possible for some apps, but rooting/custom ROMS allow you to realign how the internal memory is used as well as make the phone think that part of the SD card IS the internal memory, therefore you are able to install far more apps to your phone.

So how comes only the Desire seems to suffer of this problem and not other smartphones?

(not 100% what the problem is cos I don't think I've encountered it so far, memory issues? like RAM or just storage?)

Listen to mr-paul I taught him everything he knows (via proxy)

Guy from salesforce talks to Eric Schmidt. Info about ICS at around the 35 minute mark.

GetJar have suddenly made themselves a viable app store choice. By making loads of apps free.

Go to getjar.com and click on Apps, then gold and you'll see what is available. The plan on making money via in-app adverts (I don't know how intrusive they are as my phone blocks them).

There's some good ones

- Age of Zombies

- Swiftkey X

- Krazy Kart Racing (Konami Krazy Racers 2)

- Splashtop Remote Desktop

- Blow Up

- TuneIn Radio Pro

How do you block in app adverts?

It was a built-in feature of the ROM I used.

Probably Ad Free a lot of custom Roms include it. Although if it is ads pushed to the notification bar, then no thank you.

Looks like those on Orange with a HTC Desire S will get a Android update 2.3.5 and Sense 3.0, others networks to follow I presume.

Edited by Ten10
GSM Arena changed their stupid image URL so different stuff now

Just got myself a White Samsung Galaxy II :D 18 month contract, unlimited internet (truly unlimited thanks to t-mobile!), unlimited texts and 600 minutes.

Comes through the post tomorrow, very exciteddddddddddd :D

Just got myself a White Samsung Galaxy II :D 18 month contract, unlimited internet (truly unlimited thanks to t-mobile!), unlimited texts and 600 minutes.

You sure about that?

You sure about that?

As far as web browsing and email goes then totally. Downloading..... not so much.

As far as web browsing and email goes then totally. Downloading..... not so much.

Downloading/Streaming/Some Apps has a limit of 500MB on the standard contract.

But they have a Truly* Unlimited Internet. I was just asking if he definitely had it as it's for contracts purchased before the 30th September 2011 which are 24 months and £25 or more.

*Minus tethering, P2P and internet calling (i.e. Skype).

Downloading/Streaming/Some Apps has a limit of 500MB on the standard contract.

But they have a Truly* Unlimited Internet. I was just asking if he definitely had it as it's for contracts purchased before the 30th September 2011 which are 24 months and £25 or more.

*Minus tethering, P2P and internet calling (i.e. Skype).

Ok I totally had no idea they had started doing that. I've decided I'm going to be leaving them when I pick up the prime as I can't put up with their crappy reception inside my house any more.