NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

I had a play with the EeePad. Wasn't overly impressed. The entire UI lagged, from home screen to browser and the EeePad itself just didn't feel as nice in the hand as the iPad (sharper corners, cheaper glass used for the screen). Still felt a lot better than any other Android tablet I've handled though.

Hmm, but I've heard that it uses gorilla glass which you can only get from Corning and uses the same IPS style screen as the ipad at a higher resolution. That being said I think your points about the UI are most likely valid as several updates from ASUS have been put out since. That being said the build quality isn't up there with the iPad but I think Samsung's got that covered.

I quite like the eeepad but I'll be looking to get a new phone first, so by the time I'm ready for a tablet everyone will probably be going quad core tegra 3.

The glass being Gorilla Glass doesn't mean it feels nice, it just means it's tough. The glass felt rough somehow, rather than the silky smooth feel that's normal.

Build quality was far better than the Galaxy Tab. To be honest I'm surprised you namedrop Samsung as being high quality, I've never handled a Samsung product that has given me that impression. HTC, Motorola and Nokia, sure. Samsung and Sony Erricson (in the past few years) not so much.

The glass being Gorilla Glass doesn't mean it feels nice, it just means it's tough. The glass felt rough somehow, rather than the silky smooth feel that's normal.

Build quality was far better than the Galaxy Tab. To be honest I'm surprised you namedrop Samsung as being high quality, I've never handled a Samsung product that has given me that impression. HTC, Motorola and Nokia, sure. Samsung and Sony Erricson (in the past few years) not so much.

I take it then that you haven't heard of the Galaxy tab 10.1?

Just found some random video. At work so I haven't seen this video so sorry if it doesn't explain much.

Motorola and Nokia

Motorola? Nokia? Are we back in 2001?

Got myself a pebble charger!

pebble-portable-battery-charger-for-mobile-phone-mp3-player-gadgets.jpg

Was toying with the idea of buying some new batteries for my desire as festival season is coming up but read some really good reviews about the pebble. People reckon you can get 3-4 full charges out of it which is perfect for a weekend in a tent!

Been thinking of getting a new phone, since mine is a piece of shit. I was going to get an iPhone, but the price just makes me sick. So, I'm looking into the Galaxy S II. Is it as good as the reviews are claiming it to be?

Been thinking of getting a new phone, since mine is a piece of shit. I was going to get an iPhone, but the price just makes me sick. So, I'm looking into the Galaxy S II. Is it as good as the reviews are claiming it to be?

I've just been researching this very phone. I've currently got a Blackberry 9700 and the contract is up shortly. The new Blackberry models are pretty wank and i've already got an iPod Touch so I don't really want an iPhone too, which basically left me with HTC.

Until I read some reviews and they basically all said that the Samsung Galaxy S II was the best smartphone hands down at the moment. I've never owned or even used an Android handset but i'm guessing the app market for it is just as varied as the App store for Apple?

Engadget and CNET both rated it as the best phone on the market at the moment. That may well change whenever the new iPhone is released but i've already stated my reasons for not wanting one.

Did check around some more personal reviews and it seems the consensus is the same, but they say the battery isn't up to scratch. As I need the battery to be up to par and I need a significant amount of data, I've gone with an iPhone deal on 3 with unlimited data, whereas the similar deal for the Galaxy S II cost more. Thankfully, they have a 14 day policy just in case that messes up, in which I'll get the Galaxy S II

The S II sure is sexy though

I really want a Nexus S. Any reason why I shouldn't get one?

I really want a Nexus S. Any reason why I shouldn't get one?

It's a Samsung Galaxy S (which came out in June 10) without an SD card slot (it has 15GB storage) but with an NFC chip (which is just starting out as a payment method in the US).

I wish NFC would hurry up and get over here. I want my phone to do everything :heh:

1. Don't take wallet with you, because your phone can do everything!

2. Go have a nice meal at a restaurant with NFC.

3. Get up to pay the bill.

4. Phone battery has died.

5. Wash dishes.

I was really looking forward to the HTC Sensation but I seriously don't think I could cope with just the 1GB of ROM, so I too have been leaning towards the SGS2. There are a few qualms I have about switching back to Samsung (has a D600 for 5 years) such as losing the notification light and there not being the ability to silence the phone using the volume rocker but I guess it's time to move on.

I'll see what deal T-mobile will give me in September otherwise I'll be going sim free handset with a contract from 3 / giffgaff.

It really seems to be between the Sensation and the Galaxy for best Android device at the moment and everywhere i've checked all said the Galaxy just edged it.

It really seems to be between the Sensation and the Galaxy for best Android device at the moment and everywhere i've checked all said the Galaxy just edged it.

One of my friends who has been Blackberry loyal for years got a Sensation last week and had to take it back a few days later because the battery life was shocking. He said that he was lucky to get 24 hours out of it because he's a heavy user.

One of my friends who has been Blackberry loyal for years got a Sensation last week and had to take it back a few days later because the battery life was shocking. He said that he was lucky to get 24 hours out of it because he's a heavy user.

I've had a Blackberry for almost 2 years now and have pretty much loved it. Never had a problem with it. The only concern I have is with the new models, the newer version of mine has a qwerty keyboard with a touch screen. I'm not a massive touch screen fan but if i'm getting one i'd rather it be the best and Blackberry's just don't do touch screens well and their multimedia efforts are rather poor in comparison to what else is out there. I've still got till August until I upgrade but i'm not aware of any amazing phones out in that period. As much as I resist it now, i'll no doubt end up with the new iPhone :heh:

Isn't that somewhat to be expected from a dual core widescreen 4.3 inch device? I think 24 hours is pretty good actually especially with the amount of syncing these devices tend to do throughout the day.

I'd understand if coming from a blackberry you miss having 2-3 days on a single charge but seriously your looking at a 500-600Mhz processor with a tinny screen doing relatively little at all. Compared to a 1.2GHz dual core phone. In many of the reviews I've read people were impressed with how well the device sips battery with the hardware considered.

As much as I resist it now, i'll no doubt end up with the new iPhone :heh:

Some people have been suspecting November for the I5/4GS.

Want to put something here to check out later:

Edited by Ten10

If anyone wants Plants vs Zombies, this is how I got it:

Make an American account on amazon.com, use a real email address and a real American address/phone number/zip code and a paypal test credit card number (can google them)

Try to download the app through Amazon Marketplace app, use your newly faked details as the 1-click settings.

The purchase will fail (obviously), and you'll get an email. On your comp, follow the instructions from the email to edit the purchase options. Use a real card and address and the purchase will complete :D then go to "My Apps" in the Amazon Marketplace app, and it will be available to download :)

1. Don't take wallet with you, because your phone can do everything!

2. Go have a nice meal at a restaurant with NFC.

3. Get up to pay the bill.

4. Phone battery has died.

5. Wash dishes.

Wireless streaming from the cloud.

Sheeesh! :p

If anyone wants Plants vs Zombies, this is how I got it:

Make an American account on amazon.com, use a real email address and a real American address/phone number/zip code and a paypal test credit card number (can google them)

Try to download the app through Amazon Marketplace app, use your newly faked details as the 1-click settings.

The purchase will fail (obviously), and you'll get an email. On your comp, follow the instructions from the email to edit the purchase options. Use a real card and address and the purchase will complete :D then go to "My Apps" in the Amazon Marketplace app, and it will be available to download :)

This site will give you a fake name, address, credit card number and everything you need for that (except the email address).

It's well worth doing for the Free App of the Day.

Edited by Cube

My hotmail account on my desire S doesn't sync up with hotmail, I get the emails fine but when I delete them off the phone they don't delete off the hotmail server, Is this standard or do I need to change something.

Sounds like you're using pop3 instead of imap.

Thanks for the info,

Seems hotmail don't support imap, nobs!

Try this? (From googling.)

1. Open the Mail app.

2. Hit the menu button > Add account

3. Enter your hotmail e-mail address and password.

4. Press Manual setup (don’t press Next!)

5. For account, select Exchange.

6. On the Server settings page, clear out the DomainUsername field and enter your hotmail address.

7. Change the Server to m.hotmail.com (without the quotes).

8. Keep the checkboxes the way they are (Use secure connection enabled, but don’t accept all SSL certificates)

9. Press Next.

10. Once the server settings are confirmed, you’ll be asked for how far back you’d like to sync your e-mail, contacts and calendars.