NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

I don't really 'get' the Google Music thing. I mean... why? No, I kinda get why, but isn't it... a bit crap compared to a proper all-you-can-eat subscription service? It's preferable to keeping everything on your hard drive; more secure and you'll have less data redundancy (identical copies of tracks between machines), but it just doesn't seem revolutionary to me. Then again, I've been using subscription services for all my music needs since the beginning of 2010. The idea of being tied down to 20,000 tracks instead of millions is a tad backwards. To someone who only uses their local library of tracks I guess Google Music (or the same service offered by Amazon, or by Carphone Warehouse) could be quite cool.

£9/month for Zune, £9.99/month for Spotify or £???/month for Google Music (once it's out of private beta)? I know what I'd rather have.

Google Music seems to be aimed at people who like buying CDs over downloads.

Although I think that the purchasing/streaming is coming in the future.

I believe it is. I think the music industry is just being douchey/outdated.

So with it being contract upgrade for some of us in a few months, what phones are you guys looking at. I was thinking of going from my desire to the sensation, but with only 4GB of ROM and 1GB usable for apps going forward I'm not too sure it will be enough for me. Especially that google has lifted the 50MB app limit and bumped it up to 4GB. Adobe Creative Suite for android anyone?

I've ordered the Galaxy S2 which will be my first Android phone, should hopefully get it next week

So with it being contract upgrade for some of us in a few months, what phones are you guys looking at. I was thinking of going from my desire to the sensation, but with only 4GB of ROM and 1GB usable for apps going forward I'm not too sure it will be enough for me. Especially that google has lifted the 50MB app limit and bumped it up to 4GB. Adobe Creative Suite for android anyone?

I would think it would be very stupid for a large app to not have the "Install to SD card" option.

Although 4GB for an app seems rather massive. Not that many PC apps go to that size.

Edit: Well, I suppose if you count games then it's a very different story. Still, that amount for a mobile game still seems very excessive.

I wonder if the update also allows for downloads to be paused - as requiring a stable enough connection for that long would be a bad idea.

I've ordered the Galaxy S2 which will be my first Android phone, should hopefully get it next week

Very good phone, which deal have you gone for?

Very good phone, which deal have you gone for?

18 month contract, £30 per month and the phone for £20 on T-Mobile

I was thinking about the S2 myself but I don't think I'm quite ready for Keis.

Hope you checked HUKD first and used Quidco ;)

yeah used Quidco and should hopefully get £30 back :)

Do you guys think the best Android phone around the £300 mark is still the Galaxy S?

No idea about the cost of it, but the HTC Sensation came out recently (today?) on Vodafone and it's meant to be the best Android phone around right now.

No idea about the cost of it, but the HTC Sensation came out recently (today?) on Vodafone and it's meant to be the best Android phone around right now.

I think in terms of hit for hit punch for punch the Galaxy S2 comes off a little bit better. HTC lost the plot putting a measly 4GB of rom in there with 1GB to the user. Also no one say anything about Apps 2 SD because really it doesn't work out like one would like.

Anyone know a good guide for 'droid apps? What are your favourites? I've not got many, just looking for general tips, stuff I might not know.

I think you mean the Motorola Atrix.

The only issue being that it's a Motorola.

And Motoblur

The only issue being that it's a Motorola.

Actually, kind of with you on that. Hate Motorola for some reason, its just a horrible brand. That said, I have just got myself an Atrix which is being delivered tomorrow.

And Motoblur

Which is said to be much improved with the Atrix.

Anyone know a good guide for 'droid apps? What are your favourites? I've not got many, just looking for general tips, stuff I might not know.

3G Watchdog and the Rotten Tomatos apps are both pretty sweet.

I posted a list of useful apps here: http://n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1179913&postcount=45

Some of them I would say are now invalid (i.e no longer on market or started charging for a free service. Also I would choose lookout over wavesecure these days)

Also check this out: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/05/19/36-best-and-2-wtf-new-android-apps-from-the-last-2-weeks-5611-51911/

Edited by Ten10

Yeah I'm looking to get the Sensation when it comes to 3 as my upgrade date isn't for a while. I prefer their contracts if I'm honest....

So I was having a look at the Asus EePad Transformer which is pretty sweet. It's a tablet laptop hybrid and you can actually detach the screen. The lower half works as more of a dock but it also has an extra battery in it. Might seem a little much for an oversized phone but it is rocking a Tegra chip and looks fun and easy to play with.

Comes with the base station for £429 so comparable to the iPad2 and is £370ish without.

Anyone else interested in this puppy? Could it be flashed with HTC sense?

Could it be flashed with HTC sense?

Very unlikely. On HTC phones if you want to get a newer version of Android with HTC Sense you need to wait until a similar phone has an update (which can then be ported).

Plus it runs Android 3, whereas the HTC Flyer runs Android 2.4 (due to wanting to put Sense on it).

A lot more than £300 :heh:

I had a play with the EeePad. Wasn't overly impressed. The entire UI lagged, from home screen to browser and the EeePad itself just didn't feel as nice in the hand as the iPad (sharper corners, cheaper glass used for the screen). Still felt a lot better than any other Android tablet I've handled though.