NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

Android Pay is working with my bank now. Need to think if something to buy now to try it out. ;)

A friend of mine has an issue that's at odds with this thread title. A Samsung phone, I think one of the recent galaxy models. She can't put any apps onto the memory card, she can't seem to move anything to the memory card. She has less than 100MB space on the phone, a 16GB micro SD card in the phone with a huge amount of space on it, and she can't even install Pokemon Go.

The online storage (8GB) is mostly filled with misc/other data (4GB) which can't be browsed in more detail from the usage manager, and apps which can't be moved.

Is there a simple fix to this that neither of us can find?

Can she put anything on the SD card? Like photos and stuff? Maybe it needs reformatting?

If not, maybe the lock switch is accidentally on?

Lock switch on a micro SD?

Not sure if she tried moving pics, I'll check. I don't think it needs reformatting since it shows up in the device and illustrates its own available space.

Yeah i got the 7. It's just in the other room right now though, why do you ask?

Actually hang on, brb, can smell smoke.

I'm just interested to hear what they are like (not necessarily just the 7), how much the stylus is actually used and the size really. I'm kind of interested in getting one (when they are re-released!) but have never been too sure about larger phones.

Honestly this is why I hate Android. Fractured device base, third party OS interference, lack of support for specific issues. Sometimes when you have a problem, you're just fucked because some update to the OS has changed things beyond your control.

My friend's phone has only about 200MB worth of apps, pictures and other manageable data. She's removed most apps to try and save space, but it still won't let her download and install any more. She's managed to move two or three to the SD card (audible and a couple of similar apps). 5GB+ of the onboard storage is taken up by misc system data. The rest is the OS. It can't be browsed or cleared. You can't even fit on the software needed if you want to root the phone to fix the problem manually. Pretty much her only option is to wipe the phone.

I know iPhones are overpriced and too trendy, that a lot of people gravitate towards them for the wrongs reasons. That many things they do in their OS are well behind Android. But this kind of crap just doesn't happen with them....

The misc data could be internet downloads or even downloads from Audible or podcasts. My Nexus gives me a file explorer if I click on "Other" under storage (and there's an "Explore" option). Uninstalling apps won't necessarily clear out any additional files they may have downloaded.

You've probably tried this but remove the SD card and see what data you can remove data from the internal storage. If you can't from the phone, then plug it into a PC.

Honestly this is why I hate Android. Fractured device base, third party OS interference, lack of support for specific issues. Sometimes when you have a problem, you're just fucked because some update to the OS has changed things beyond your control.

My friend's phone has only about 200MB worth of apps, pictures and other manageable data. She's removed most apps to try and save space, but it still won't let her download and install any more. She's managed to move two or three to the SD card (audible and a couple of similar apps). 5GB+ of the onboard storage is taken up by misc system data. The rest is the OS. It can't be browsed or cleared. You can't even fit on the software needed if you want to root the phone to fix the problem manually. Pretty much her only option is to wipe the phone.

I know iPhones are overpriced and too trendy, that a lot of people gravitate towards them for the wrongs reasons. That many things they do in their OS are well behind Android. But this kind of crap just doesn't happen with them....

I think there might be some apps on the store that can help clean up system data (or at least identify what is doing it).

It's weird, the reasons you give for not liking android are similar to the ones I have for disliking Apple. Putting aside design, price and generally low spec for the money, I had software problems with my 3GS - apps like Tunein simply stopped working properly after OS updates, not even too long after it had been replaced. Since going Android I've never had any problems like that.

Edited by Sheikah

Probably because you buy good Android devices. I own a Nexus 7 and it's an amazing piece of kit, don't have a problem with it. Convinced my Mum to get a Nexus 4 and later a 5X. All still running swimmingly. But so many friends and family have issues with their mid or low budget Android devices and whenever I go to fix them, it's always a new looking version of the OS with a different menu etc, and often support for their device is outdated or simply non-existent.

The 3GS was 7 years ago, from the 5 onwards I think you'll find iPhones are infinitely more futureproof as hardware capability has begun to plateau against software requirements.

(You may have already tried this Shorty.) Often you can tinker more with the onboard storage if you plug it into a computer. Then you'll be able to track down the misc data.

More of a rant about Google than Android but it turns out they are killing off Google Play Music and pushing people to YouTube Music which requires a sub to be able to play in the background. :mad:

I upload my own rips so I can play them from the cloud without having to download them all the time. Maybe I'll go back to using an MP3 player...

And they are killing off Hangouts and Cloud Print, getting tired of Google killing off services.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ike said:

And they are killing off Hangouts and Cloud Print, getting tired of Google killing off services.

Don't worry, Stadia will probably be next, if that makes you feel any better :p

20 minutes ago, Julius said:

Don't worry, Stadia will probably be next, if that makes you feel any better :p

Not really these services were actually useful.

Stadia was marked for death the moment it was announced.

More of a rant about Google than Android but it turns out they are killing off Google Play Music and pushing people to YouTube Music which requires a sub to be able to play in the background. :mad:
I upload my own rips so I can play them from the cloud without having to download them all the time. Maybe I'll go back to using an MP3 player...
Are you talking about the regular YouTube app? Because you can install the unofficial app YouTube Vanced, which has background play and no ads.

29 minutes ago, Sheikah said:
1 hour ago, Ike said:

Are you talking about the regular YouTube app? Because you can install the unofficial app YouTube Vanced, which has background play and no ads.

No, there's a separate app for music that will let you upload and play your own files.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.youtube.music

Unless there's an unofficial version of that.

Yeah I'm reluctant to use any google apps because of the threat they'll fold them at any point.
I think the only one i properly use is Gmail, so fingers crossed they don't get bored of that soon.

1 hour ago, bob said:

Yeah I'm reluctant to use any google apps because of the threat they'll fold them at any point.
I think the only one i properly use is Gmail, so fingers crossed they don't get bored of that soon.

I think Gmail is probably pretty safe, as is Sheets, Drive, Play Store, Maps and YouTube, just because of their popularity. Anything else though feels like fair game.

I think Gmail is probably pretty safe, as is Sheets, Drive, Play Store, Maps and YouTube, just because of their popularity. Anything else though feels like fair game.
I use Maps, YouTube and Drive occasionally to transfer files, but i Gmail is the only one where i would lose a lot of stuff if they stopped it. I don't have anything stored in any of the others. I agree though, those aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

I've used Google Play Music daily since its launch in 2011 so I've been dreading its demise since they launched Youtube Music. Didn't even occur to me that you lose a lot of the functionality by virtue of not having a premium subscription, seems absurd that you can't multitask unless you're paying for the privilege. I am a subscriber myself so that issue won't affect me but I'll be clinging on to Play Music until the very end.

I would be crippled if they ever got rid of Drive, I should probably look for alternatives to all the Google services I use to be honest its starting to really bother me how much data they have on me. 

3 hours ago, bob said:

No, down with Gmail and up with Inbox!