NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

Android has pretty much all the apps you'll need, trust me.

I just got a new LG G4 for under £300 and I love it. Amazing display and camera, with a stylish leather back too. The good news about this model is that it supports microSD to cheaply expand your memory as well as replaceable batteries. None of the other main flagship phones have these features; they usually charge you an arm and a leg to get the same model with more storage instead.

I know the new Moto X phones have expandable storage and I can't recall about the battery (edit - apparently not).

But yeah as Sheikah said, it's unlikely you'll come across an app you can't get. Sometimes new apps come on iOS first, but it's seldom there's a huge wait now.

I'm currently torn on whether to get a z5 or the s6 edge.

Purely because they are both green.

¬_¬ yup, thats my life.

I've been liking the look of the S6 Edge. Was tempted to get one myself but I think I should wait at least a year before upgrading my current phone. Dont want to fall into old habits and swapping phones way too often!

I've been liking the look of the S6 Edge. Was tempted to get one myself but I think I should wait at least a year before upgrading my current phone. Dont want to fall into old habits and swapping phones way too often!

Indeed, I've got til April to upgrade, but I think this time I'll be going sim free. I dislike being locked in for so long.

The Edge looks particularly good, recently saw one and understood the hype. But it is a little too big for me. Plus I've been rather taken with sony after my z1 compact.

Choices choices..

My S6 Edge arrived today. Very nice looking phone. Need to wait to get home from work now before I can give it a proper look at. Think I've been pushing my luck as it is, setting it up at my desk all morning lol

I`m really starting to hate my iPhone, iOS9 just seems to be a buggy piece of crap so I`m starting to consider moving to Android. For the Playstation remote play I`m very tempted to go for a Sony Xperia Z5, and from having a quick play with one it seems like a really nice piece of hardware. Mainly what I`m concerned about it transferring over all of the stuff I`ve accumulated in the last 8 years of using iOS. I`ve mostly solved the problems I think I`ll have but there are a couple I`m still not sure on, mainly:

Text Messages - is there a way to backup my iPhone text messages and transfer to an Android phone? It`s not the end of the world if I can`t but it would be nice to keep some of the really old ones if I can.

Music - I currently use iTunes on my computers and devices, all liked together with iTunes Match. I`d like to continue using this if possible. Does anyone use the Apple Music app on Android and know if it supports iTunes match?

I think if I can work out those two then my days on iOS are numbered. Any help greatly appreciated!

After my previous message, I actually went for the z3. In a lovely mint green colour, the size of it is ridiculous but pretty great for watching yt at work.

@will&\#39; I'd highly recommend Sony phones. I've had two now and the battery life is wonderful. Not to mention, in my humble (brag) opinion they tend to get the best version of android, it takes a while for it to come out but its usually a lot less buggy.

My only complaint about Sony, buy a case. The backs of them are really shiny and so easily dropped.

1. Apparently so: https://ting.com/blog/you-asked-transferring-texts-from-iphone-to-android/

2. Music wise, the android app isn't great, but its certainly usable. But then when you're comparing it to spotify/google music etc, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apple.android.music&hl=en_GB might be worth checking the details here for more.

Thank you! Very useful on the message front, definitely be happy to be able to transfer my messages over.

I still don"t seem to be able to get a clear answer on the iTunes match thing, it's the one thing that might put me off as I buy music from both Japanese and US stores and use a different computer all together for ripping CD's, having iTunes match is great for consolidating everything back together. I'll carry on with my research.

Agree on the Sony quality, my last feature phone was a Sony and it was by far the best phone I'd ever had at that point. Having had a little play with the Z5 it seems like this hasn't changed. Honestly I think it's way better than the current iPhone, but then I really really dislike the direction Apple took with the 6. At this point my mind is pretty much made up, just wondering whether to make the switch now or wait for the next hardware refresh.

No problem! Unfortunately I've not carried from iPhone to Android, so it was mostly hunting around. But messages are the easy bit.

After the message I did more diggng and found the same, that iTunes for Android is just a bit..well shit. But its to be expected. It was never really supposed to be built for Android. The only thing I can suggest is ripping them onto your PC (rather than a CD) and importing them in (for instance Samsung used to have a manager you could do this with music) and play them through google music. But that would mean losing out on iTunes match.

X_X

My only thing with Android/Z5. Don't install the Facebook app. Or any facebook owned apps if you can. They destroy the battery life like no tomorrow. You'll get far better results staying the hell away (or using the browser version).

:)

@will&\#39; I'd highly recommend Sony phones. I've had two now and the battery life is wonderful. Not to mention, in my humble (brag) opinion they tend to get the best version of android, it takes a while for it to come out but its usually a lot less buggy.

I think the best version of Android is pure, stock Android..

I think the best version of Android is pure, stock Android..

Well if you want to be really picky about it. Then yes, likely. ;)

Finally have a phone with some space on it for apps. Any must have apps / games from the past couple years that people would recommend? I pretty much just used my last phone for Pocket Onecast and whatsapp

Finally have a phone with some space on it for apps. Any must have apps / games from the past couple years that people would recommend? I pretty much just used my last phone for Pocket Onecast and whatsapp

Hmm apps I use on the regular:

- Telegram

I like the addition of gifs. Enough said.

- Lifeline

This is a game, well, its a text based on at most. But its brilliant.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.threeminutegames.lifeline.google&hl=en_GB

- Now for Reddit

Everyone has a preference and I've tried a bunch of Reddit apps, this is the easiest one for me to read.

- Doze

Helps with battery life, creates a VPN essentially. But you're apps will not update with notifications whilst its on. Its basically like Greenify. Which is also recommended.

- Time for sleep

An ambient noise app. I've tried a whole bunch of free ones and it offers the most range.

- Duolingo

For learning languages. Makes it fun!

- *name of a launcher*

Android launchers are pretty big, they allow most customised look, I currently using LINE launcher, though Nova and others are pretty popular. Depends what you want your phone to look like and functionality you want from it.

./phew that was a bit more than I expected!

Hmm apps I use on the regular:

- Telegram

I like the addition of gifs. Enough said.

- Lifeline

This is a game, well, its a text based on at most. But its brilliant.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.threeminutegames.lifeline.google&hl=en_GB

- Now for Reddit

Everyone has a preference and I've tried a bunch of Reddit apps, this is the easiest one for me to read.

- Doze

Helps with battery life, creates a VPN essentially. But you're apps will not update with notifications whilst its on. Its basically like Greenify. Which is also recommended.

- Time for sleep

An ambient noise app. I've tried a whole bunch of free ones and it offers the most range.

- Duolingo

For learning languages. Makes it fun!

- *name of a launcher*

Android launchers are pretty big, they allow most customised look, I currently using LINE launcher, though Nova and others are pretty popular. Depends what you want your phone to look like and functionality you want from it.

./phew that was a bit more than I expected!

Comprehensive list! Great, ta :) Just downloaded Lifeline - sounds great!

Yeah new launcher is the first thing I use whenever I get a new android, prompting an obsessive couple of ocd hours sorting it all out. The major perk over ios for me. I'm amazed by all the people on touchwiz, still so gross. My current look

xas1w1.jpg

Swisshh.

Btw are you use you got the name right on time for sleep? I want to give it a try but it's not coming up on the play store when I search

Edited by dan-likes-trees

Btw are you use you got the name right on time for sleep? I want to give it a try but it's not coming up on the play store when I search

Ah I did! Sorry about that, here it is:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mizusoft.relaxandsleep&hl=en_GB

Completely the wrong name, whoops! (time 4 sleep is a bed company..so thats likely where I got it from as thats where my bed is from). :blush:

Comprehensive list! Great, ta :) Just downloaded Lifeline - sounds great!

Yeah new launcher is the first thing I use whenever I get a new android, prompting an obsessive couple of ocd hours sorting it all out. The major perk over ios for me. I'm amazed by all the people on touchwiz, still so gross. My current look

xas1w1.jpg

Swisshh.

I prefer the google now launcher, very minimal and has super quick access to google now with a swipe to the right.

I prefer the google now launcher, very minimal and has super quick access to google now with a swipe to the right.

Eh, it's alright, nova launcher and others have infinite customisability so I don't see that as a plus. Adding a swipe to access google now takes about 5 seconds to set up - similar to swipe to any app. I also think that the app icons from google, while better than most, aren't as well designed and consistent as the best icon packs you can buy from designers on the play store. Each to their own.

I recently just got the xiaomi Mi5. Nice phone, great build and feels like a premium flagship for sure.

While Miui OS has some cool features the no app drawer is killer. Just put Google now launcher on it.

Android N Preview 2 finally fixed playing Youtube video in split screen mode while your focused on a different window which is pretty much all I wanted. In the previous version the video would pause, I was pretty sure they were going to make it a Youtube Red feature.

Anyone have any experience of action camera? Ideally, with relatively easy syncing to Google Photos.

Google Photos should just detect media and give you the option if you wish to sync the photos.

It's been working for a while but no banks support it yet, at least mine doesn't.