NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

I am quite surprised. In my opinion there's maybe about 30-40 apps that are truly worth downloading.

Its partially because of the stuff I have to do. IMO the email thing is a bigger issue for me. I can always cut down apps. The phone is always fast though. A little worried about battery but i will set up what apps to run in the background soon.

I hope Kit kat brings better built in email like the one on IOS. For now I am planning to use two clients. Built in for exchange and another for the rest.

In my opinion the Mail on iOS was pretty flawed. You had to click the email button whereas here I can set a widget to show my mail in the background. Sure the default mail app isn't great on android, but Aquamail is. Similarly, you could say that Google maps is a million times better than the version Apple tried to do themselves.

Does anyone use the default mail? Everyone just used the gmail app.

If you have 17 emails with different companies then that's a very specific problem and you can't expect the default to cater to you. But that's not even a problem because there are other apps you can use.

17 email apps or account? Did you turn off syncing on all of them, otherwise it must drain your battery real fast.

Using a Nexus 4 the messaging app loads instantly, your issue must be due to the number of apps installed.

400 apps and 17 email accounts for work. Are you an international assassin? :p

It could be that the messages app that comes with your phone specifically is bad. Because phone manufacturers make their own apps to bloat up the phone this can happen. Try out different ones and see if the speed improves. Or get some sort of stock rom.

In my opinion the Mail on iOS was pretty flawed. You had to click the email button whereas here I can set a widget to show my mail in the background. Sure the default mail app isn't great on android, but Aquamail is. Similarly, you could say that Google maps is a million times better than the version Apple tried to do themselves.

I thought i would like widgets but they are too large and ugly. I'd rather just have a number count on the app icon. Which it turns out 3rd party apps dont have on Android... Aquamail does support launchers and widgets though. So i brought Aquamail and Nova Launcher.

Google maps is the same on IOS. No differences literally.

It could be that the messages app that comes with your phone specifically is bad. Because phone manufacturers make their own apps to bloat up the phone this can happen. Try out different ones and see if the speed improves. Or get some sort of stock rom.

The default app has a strict limit for mail it can show hence why i dropped it. Search is also buggy.

400 apps and 17 email accounts for work. Are you an international assassin? :p

Only afew main accounts and one priority account. I just have everything divided due to different stuff over the years. In truth I am exaggerating. I only have a couple of accounts with regular usage.

17 email apps or account? Did you turn off syncing on all of them, otherwise it must drain your battery real fast.

Using a Nexus 4 the messaging app loads instantly, your issue must be due to the number of apps installed.

Its fast/instant actually(Aquamail and default when not buggy). Some of the 3rd party ones are slow but I am not using those. K9 had serious issues despite being very powerful. I recommend Aquamail even if its ugly :p

Heyy, Aquamail isn't ugly! It looks ace. :)

Its funny that despite me using gmail and google calendar since forever, Google have worse apps on their own phones for this job. Aquamail is ok its nowhere near iOS's built in client nor the best 3rd party ios clients.

SO far I have founf many positives but the negatives I have are based around organising myself for which iOS is much superior quite frankly due to its efficiency and unique features not elsewhere.

Can anybody recommend me a nice tablet? As a student I could really use one :p

This and is also at quite a reasonable price.

Anybody know if it's any good?

Can anybody recommend me a nice tablet? As a student I could really use one :p

This and is also at quite a reasonable price.

Anybody know if it's any good?

Yup, I have this, was going to recommend it. It's the best in class for small tablets and very well priced. The 16GB is enough for me. The resolution is out of this world.

The 16GB is enough for me.

Hm, I can't find the 16GB version in any German store :hmm: Would be enough for me, as well as cheaper.

But maybe I'll go for the 32GB version.

I agree with the Nexus 7 recommendations.

Posted from my outdated 2012 Nexus 7.

Yes, i would say the Nexus 7. Because i know you've already bought it.

Posted from my 5 year old Acer laptop.

Yes, i would say the Nexus 7. Because i know you've already bought it.

Thank you. You are really helpful :)

:p

So, ebooks on android? How do they work? Can I only buy them via Google Play Store? Can I use Amazon/Kindle ebooks? Is there any difference?

No idea how this shit works. Help!

They come in different formats. If you download an e-reader app (i used to use Aldiko) you can drag and drop any ebook file onto your nexus and read it. Amazon uses .mobi i think, so if you have a load of those, you can put them on your Nexus and read them fine. Or, you can download the Kindle app and just sync your library straight away.

I'm not sure what Google Play uses, or how they allow you to move the files around. They might use .epub, which Aldiko can read, but a Kindle can't...

Basically it depends on how flexible you want to be. If you're just planning on using one store or another, then just use that and stick with it.

That was even less helpful than my previous post i think. Sorry.

Google Play allows you to upload your own ebooks, I believe. I know you can upload PDFs.

That was even less helpful than my previous post i think. Sorry.

It was helpful ;) Thanks.

I might use both an ebook reader and the Kindle app.

Google Play allows you to upload your own ebooks, I believe. I know you can upload PDFs.

I think it accepts any unprotected format for file sizes under 50MB.

As a recent purchaser of the new Nexus 7, I can say that it's one of my favourite pieces of technology I own.

Good Lord, the Nexus 7 is amazing. :bowdown:

Played around with it for 2 hours now. :D

Found a nice app (Kingsoft Office) which lets you create text documents and stuff.

Now I need a nice and small bluetooth keyboard.

Can anybody recommend one?

How quick is the new Nexus 7, my original one is starting to lag and does my head in, anyone had the original and gone to second one and worth the investment? although may hold off for a new nexus 10.

How quick is the new Nexus 7, my original one is starting to lag and does my head in, anyone had the original and gone to second one and worth the investment? although may hold off for a new nexus 10.

Yeah, I have both and it's a major improvement. It's much snappier. The old one could get pretty slow but this one is butter smooth.

Good Lord, the Nexus 7 is amazing. :bowdown:

Played around with it for 2 hours now. :D

Found a nice app (Kingsoft Office) which lets you create text documents and stuff.

Now I need a nice and small bluetooth keyboard.

Can anybody recommend one?

The one that comes with Pokémon Typing is actually pretty sweet.

Speaking of pretty sweet:

2e5bfd36-c0fc-45f6-b89a-62cae4e9103a